Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

cooking with butter

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:31 PM
  • 30 Replies
Today while I was cooking dinner I saw I was almost outof bthe tub of butter I bought last week. I never realized how much I used while cooking. I don't have salt at in my house anymore and I started using olive oil. I never really thought about the butter. Is there a better alternative for it?
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Was it butter or margarine?

I use coconut oil, olive oil, home-rendered lard (not the hydrogenated stuff from the store) and real butter.

anchorgurl
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:42 PM

It depends on what you are cooking, really.  i use olive oil for some things and an olive oil spray for others; I did find a butter-flavored olive oil spray, but try not to use it too often because of the chemical flavoring.  Butter is actually much better for you than margarine or some other butter-like, yellowish gold stuff.  Maybe just try using less of it?

crrodgers29
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:51 PM
It's butter, country crock.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Was it butter or margarine?

I use coconut oil, olive oil, home-rendered lard (not the hydrogenated stuff from the store) and real butter.

crrodgers29
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:52 PM
I use it in my mashed potatoes, corn, some if the boxed foods (when I'm tired acc want to cook something quick).

Quoting anchorgurl:

It depends on what you are cooking, really.  i use olive oil for some things and an olive oil spray for others; I did find a butter-flavored olive oil spray, but try not to use it too often because of the chemical flavoring.  Butter is actually much better for you than margarine or some other butter-like, yellowish gold stuff.  Maybe just try using less of it?

anchorgurl
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM

For mashed potatoes I like fat-free/low fat butter milk to replace the actual milk and butter; chicken broth is also good for that. 

I try to not eat either corn or boxed foods so I can't help with that, other than to say maybe use real butter as you get more flavor from less of it.

HTH

Quoting crrodgers29: I use it in my mashed potatoes, corn, some if the boxed foods (when I'm tired acc want to cook something quick).
Quoting anchorgurl:

crrodgers29
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:01 PM
I never thought of buttermilk. I didn't even know that made a fat free kind! I'll have to check that out. I usually get home around 5 but I'm a cook at a bar acc sometimes after getting my butt kicked in the kitchen the thought of cooking again is just bleh lol. Today we had scalloped potatoes (box), mac n cheese (box), corn, and fish. My 2 year old isn't exactly picky but goes through his spells so I have to make a variety. Do you not like corn or is there another reason you don't eat it?

Quoting anchorgurl:

For mashed potatoes I like fat-free/low fat butter milk to replace the actual milk and butter; chicken broth is also good for that. 

I try to not eat either corn or boxed foods so I can't help with that, other than to say maybe use real butter as you get more flavor from less of it.

HTH

Quoting crrodgers29: I use it in my mashed potatoes, corn, some if the boxed foods (when I'm tired acc want to cook something quick).
Quoting anchorgurl:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:54 PM
5 moms liked this
Country crock is not real butter. It's margarine.
Use real butter, and measure out how much you're actually using. 1 TBSP of butter is about 100 calories, so you don't want to get crazy with it, but it's healthier than margarine.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 9, 2014 at 5:36 AM

I use olive oil.

anchorgurl
by New Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 6:50 AM

Mostly I just don't like corn because we had it a lot growing up, but I also think of it as more of a starch than a vegetable. 

I make my own mac and cheese and it's really easy and doesn't take much time at all.  I also use a whole grain or multi-grain pasta so that I'm getting as much protein as I can.  It also freezes pretty well so it's easy to pull some out, microwave it, and it's good to go.   

Make a roux with a few tablespoons of flour and a little bit of melted butter.  Add milk (I use 1% or FF), maybe 1 to 1 1/2 cups depending on how much pasta you will cook, salt and pepper.   Simmer it on low, whisking it regularly, until it comes to a slow boil and starts to thicken.  I like to add some grated parmesean/romano to it.  I usually cook the pasta while I'm doing this and it's ready to drain when the sauce is done.  Then I just mix it all up in a greased baking dish--pasta, sauce, and grated cheddar (I'm a fanatic and use 2% sharp cheddar).  Sprinkle some cheddar on top, and bake it for about  minutes at 400 to get the cheese melted and the top crispy.  I can have it ready to go in half an hour.  You'll never go back to Kraft :)

Quoting crrodgers29: I never thought of buttermilk. I didn't even know that made a fat free kind! I'll have to check that out. I usually get home around 5 but I'm a cook at a bar acc sometimes after getting my butt kicked in the kitchen the thought of cooking again is just bleh lol. Today we had scalloped potatoes (box), mac n cheese (box), corn, and fish. My 2 year old isn't exactly picky but goes through his spells so I have to make a variety. Do you not like corn or is there another reason you don't eat it?
Quoting anchorgurl:

HTH

Quoting anchorgurl:

crrodgers29
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:19 PM
I didn't know that. I buy country crock because that's what my mom always bought.

Quoting musicpisces: Country crock is not real butter. It's margarine.
Use real butter, and measure out how much you're actually using. 1 TBSP of butter is about 100 calories, so you don't want to get crazy with it, but it's healthier than margarine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)