Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

4 Tricks to Break Out of Your Workout Rut

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 11:12 AM
  • 7 Replies

4 Tricks to Break Out of Your Workout Rut

by Carly Pizzani 

Break out of a Boring Workout Routine Exercise can easily turn into something you dread, a boring chore somewhere on your to-do list. But it doesn't have to! While it may be hard work at times, working out should be fun and something you enjoy doing. If you dread going to the gym because you know it's going to be boring, or your weight loss has stalled, or you’re looking for ways to distract yourself, it’s a sure sign that something is wrong. 

What’s going on? It could be as simple as being in a workout rut, which is easy enough to fix. Here are tips on getting out of the rut and making exercise fun again!

1. Stop doing what you hate. Sounds simple, right? Yet so many people do what they THINK they should be doing rather than finding what it is they enjoy. The key here is to be open to trying all kinds of workouts and be prepared that you may not like all of them and you may suck at some of them. That's okay. If you keep trying different workouts, eventually one will be fun. You may even not be great at it right away, but when you’re excited to go back for more, that’s when you know you’ve found “the one.”

More From The Stir: 4 Workout Lessons Moms Can Learn From Their Kids

2. If you’re bored or if you’ve hit a plateau with your goals, it may be as simple as changing your routine. For example, I have a client who loves yoga and does two classes a week without fail. After a while, she wasn’t feeling at all challenged and didn’t look forward to going. I suggested she switch one of her classes to a different instructor. Boom. Because of the different teaching style, she felt challenged and energized. When was the last time you mixed things up?

Ways to Fall Back in Love with your Workout

3. Do you work out at the same time of day, every day? Try switching up your workout time. It may sound a little crazy, but breaking your routine in this small way could totally change the way you feel about exercise. As anyone who’s worked in a gym can tell you, it is a completely different environment depending on the time of day. The people working out are different, the type of equipment that is more popular is different, the general mood is different. If you exercise in the early morning, try a shorter lunchtime workout, or go in the evening and see if it suits you. Bonus: If you decide your original time is best, having seen that the grass is not greener may give you a new lease on your routine. 

4. Sometimes, breaking out of a workout rut can be as simple as changing up your entertainment when you exercise. Put together a whole new playlist for your next workout. Music has such a huge effect on your mood, it makes sense that it can make the same kind of impact on your workout. If you’d rather go headphone-free for safety or because it’s just not your jam (pun intended -- sorry!), think about working out with a friend to keep you entertained and motivated.

Have you ever found yourself in a workout rut?

What did you do to switch things up?

by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
pinkfairy0206
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Yes definitely. I always try to do different things, I get board very easily lol. I wish I could just jump on my bike and take off but I have my son at home still. That's impossible.
Janet
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

How about a stationary bike?

Quoting pinkfairy0206: Yes definitely. I always try to do different things, I get board very easily lol. I wish I could just jump on my bike and take off but I have my son at home still. That's impossible.

Janet
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM

BUMP!

LillysMom12
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 5:54 PM
I change thie time of day, find new exercises to try or add in more HIIT to make it more fun. I also like new matching workout outfits... :)
pinkfairy0206
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
That's true, I just love the feeling of the crisp air hitting me ya know?

Quoting Janet:

How about a stationary bike?

Quoting pinkfairy0206: Yes definitely. I always try to do different things, I get board very easily lol. I wish I could just jump on my bike and take off but I have my son at home still. That's impossible.

Ricksmama
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Im great for a week then stop for awhile an then it's hard to start back up again,can't say I'm lazy we have our own company so sometimes we work 7 days a week an by the time I get home it's hard to get back on track
soymujer
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I'm in one now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)