Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

new to group and ready to get fit!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM
  • 9 Replies
First of all, sorry for any errors. I am mobile and sometimes don't notice auto correct.

I am 32 (33 next month) and I am 2 months post parity with my 6th baby/3rd c section. I recently got a membership to the Ymca down the street (less than 2 blocks away! How convenient! Lol) my last 3 children were back to back so I have never had a chance to get my body back, and I am ready!

I am not worried too much about losing weight, more so getting to a healthy weight and muscle tone back. I have been down to 120 before, which is where some chart says I should be for my height, but I looked sickly. 130-135 looks better. Saying this mainly for my own accountability and to state my goal.

I am also breastfeeding so I don't know what kind of diet I can do and keep my milk healthy for baby. I eat smaller meals about 4-6 times a day, it usually just depends on the needs of my baby when I can get a meal in.

So I came here to get some advice on workout routines I can do and diets that won't hurt my milk supply. I have access to weights, all kinds of machines, a pool, and different classes. Please suggest some things I can do without hurting myself (I have a weird fear of my incision coming apart and my insides falling out. Lol.

Thanks for any advice!
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Welcome to the group. Everyone here is so kind and helpful. =)

Congratulations on your newborn and good luck with your workouts. Personally, I'm a big fan of "class" style workouts so if your YMCA offers group workouts I say go for it. It's fun to workout with other people.

coachStefanieS
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Hi! So great that you want to get back in shape..wow 6 kids! Kudos to you that is a handful :) I have 3 and I know how hard it can be! I don't think you will hurt yourself no matter what you do. It is amazing what the body can handle and if you have given birth to 6 children you are strong :) I don't know too much about what the Ymca has to offer as I do not go to the gyms (I am a Beachbody coach who would not work out if I couldn't do it in the comfort of my own home with my programs..)but i'm sure they have some good group classes you can start with. I would throw in some weight training for sure, starting with light weights if you want some muscle tone. The combination of cardio and weights will get you that. You don't need to try to diet..just eat 5-6 small meals a day and make sure you are eating them..if you miss many meals it will kill your metabolism for sure. Plus the frequent eating of healthy meals will most likely keep your milk supply up and your baby healthy! Drink lots of water also. I wish you the best of luck with your fitness journey....you will do great! You have to want it and it will work :) Good luck!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Welcome!

As long as you've been cleared by the MD, you're fine to resume whatever you like (I'm about to be a postpartum nurse, and am studying to be a midwife).  Do what feels good for you- if crunches hurt, STOP doing them!  Anything that physically hurts should be avoided.  At this point, even with the history of 3 c-sections, your risk of dehiscence (which is what it's called when the incision separates) is very, very low.  It's usually when people overdo it too soon after surgery, or have had multiple cervical checks during labor and have a uterine infection that this happens, and it's usually within the first few weeks PP.

Have you considered tracking your calories?  That can help, even if you only do it occasionally, to see what you're really taking in, which can help you adjust as needed.  If you'll post your current weight, height, and how much you'll be working out, I can calculate your calorie range for you.  As long as you're consuming enough calories, it won't affect your milk supply.

What you eat and how you eat are the most important factors here.  Cleaning up your food intake makes a huge difference!  Lean proteins, whole grains, healthy fats, lots of water, and loading up on your fruits and veggies are all key.  Think about shopping the perimeter of the grocery store.

Swimming is a great place to start for working out, walking (put the little one in a carrier or stroller!), biking, they're all great!  Lifting is important as well, and you really can resume any lifting now, so long as your body doesn't protest.  This link will give you some great ideas.

Congratulations on your new little one!  Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

momof3inapril09
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:52 AM
I am really interested in a few group fitness classes they offer, I haven't talked to real people (you know, real conversations not about poop or snot. Lol) in a long time! Lol. Thank you for support. :)

Quoting ballerina18:

Welcome to the group. Everyone here is so kind and helpful. =)

Congratulations on your newborn and good luck with your workouts. Personally, I'm a big fan of "class" style workouts so if your YMCA offers group workouts I say go for it. It's fun to workout with other people.

momof3inapril09
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:05 AM
Thank you. They are a handful but worth it! I usually try to keep my calories above 1800. My mil cooks most nights and we usually have the same rotation of meals, so I can easily keep track of approximate calories and in between meals I eat lots of fruits. Anything I can eat with one hand without utensils gets bonus points! Lol.

Quoting coachStefanieS:

Hi! So great that you want to get back in shape..wow 6 kids! Kudos to you that is a handful :) I have 3 and I know how hard it can be! I don't think you will hurt yourself no matter what you do. It is amazing what the body can handle and if you have given birth to 6 children you are strong :) I don't know too much about what the Ymca has to offer as I do not go to the gyms (I am a Beachbody coach who would not work out if I couldn't do it in the comfort of my own home with my programs..)but i'm sure they have some good group classes you can start with. I would throw in some weight training for sure, starting with light weights if you want some muscle tone. The combination of cardio and weights will get you that. You don't need to try to diet..just eat 5-6 small meals a day and make sure you are eating them..if you miss many meals it will kill your metabolism for sure. Plus the frequent eating of healthy meals will most likely keep your milk supply up and your baby healthy! Drink lots of water also. I wish you the best of luck with your fitness journey....you will do great! You have to want it and it will work :) Good luck!

momof3inapril09
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:44 AM
I wanted to take a boot camp type class but I am thinking it is not such a good idea. I will probably take a less intense class to start and get my stamina back up.

I track my calories somewhat. Meaning, my mil does most of the cooking and keeps track for herself (she is on weight watchers and counts calories religiously)so with what I consume per day it is around 1800-1900 per day but sometimes more. I am 5' tall and 162 lbs. My hope is to work out every morning, alternating maybe water work and maybe spinning or aerobic (some class type setting) about an hour each as long as I can handle it. My stamina is not at its best right now so I have a few classes in mind and then work up to the harder ones. The classes are about an hour each.

Thank you so much for the help. Makes me feel better that I am on the right track and not crazy for wanting to push myself. Before I had kids, I was in great shape and my figure was great. I used to think I looked bad and because I couldn't look "thin" like the other girls that I was fat! Now looking back, I was PERFECT. Slowly I really let myself go and, I know I will never have my old body back, but now I can create a new one! :)

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome!

As long as you've been cleared by the MD, you're fine to resume whatever you like (I'm about to be a postpartum nurse, and am studying to be a midwife).  Do what feels good for you- if crunches hurt, STOP doing them!  Anything that physically hurts should be avoided.  At this point, even with the history of 3 c-sections, your risk of dehiscence (which is what it's called when the incision separates) is very, very low.  It's usually when people overdo it too soon after surgery, or have had multiple cervical checks during labor and have a uterine infection that this happens, and it's usually within the first few weeks PP.

Have you considered tracking your calories?  That can help, even if you only do it occasionally, to see what you're really taking in, which can help you adjust as needed.  If you'll post your current weight, height, and how much you'll be working out, I can calculate your calorie range for you.  As long as you're consuming enough calories, it won't affect your milk supply.

What you eat and how you eat are the most important factors here.  Cleaning up your food intake makes a huge difference!  Lean proteins, whole grains, healthy fats, lots of water, and loading up on your fruits and veggies are all key.  Think about shopping the perimeter of the grocery store.

Swimming is a great place to start for working out, walking (put the little one in a carrier or stroller!), biking, they're all great!  Lifting is important as well, and you really can resume any lifting now, so long as your body doesn't protest.  This link will give you some great ideas.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!

coachStefanieS
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I have never been super "thin"...I know have come to love my "fit" body not longing for a skinny one. I now love adding muscle and not worrying so much about what the scale says. I do not go by the scale at all but by measurements and how my clothes fit and how I feel!! If I just turned 40 and if I only knew then what I know now!! You have the right idea by starting out slow and working up to a harder level...it will happen fast..the body is an amazing thing :)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Depending on your current fitness, you could take the boot camp class, but if you feel better building up to it, that's okay too.  Listening to your body is important- you are the expert!  :)

1800-1900 calories per day may not be enough, considering you're breastfeeding.  Your BMR (without factoring in breastfeeding) is 1487 calories, and you need an additional 500 per day while breastfeeding, so that means you need to be eating at least 1987 calories per day, even if you aren't working out.  Let me break it down for you factoring in exercise:

1-3 days per week: 1987-2045 calories per day

3-5 days per week: 1987-2305 calories per day

6+ days per week is used when you're training for Ironman or some other intense endurance training.

Your body will be different from the body you had before kids (don't you hate how hard we were on our bodies before we had kids??), but you can definitely slim down to a similar shape.  I'm smaller than I ever was before I had my son!

Good luck with the exercise classes!  Let us know how it goes as you ease back in!

Quoting momof3inapril09: I wanted to take a boot camp type class but I am thinking it is not such a good idea. I will probably take a less intense class to start and get my stamina back up. I track my calories somewhat. Meaning, my mil does most of the cooking and keeps track for herself (she is on weight watchers and counts calories religiously)so with what I consume per day it is around 1800-1900 per day but sometimes more. I am 5' tall and 162 lbs. My hope is to work out every morning, alternating maybe water work and maybe spinning or aerobic (some class type setting) about an hour each as long as I can handle it. My stamina is not at its best right now so I have a few classes in mind and then work up to the harder ones. The classes are about an hour each. Thank you so much for the help. Makes me feel better that I am on the right track and not crazy for wanting to push myself. Before I had kids, I was in great shape and my figure was great. I used to think I looked bad and because I couldn't look "thin" like the other girls that I was fat! Now looking back, I was PERFECT. Slowly I really let myself go and, I know I will never have my old body back, but now I can create a new one! :)
Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)