Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Cardio vs. strength...help please!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:02 AM
  • 8 Replies
This is kind of a confusing question. I'm working out everyday except for Sunday's. I've been doing 30 mins of cardio kickboxing, and then about 15 mins of abs afterwards. I've decided to incorporate some strength training starting off with two days a week. Now, on the days that I do strength, do I skip the cardio and do it instead? Or do I do it in addition to the kickboxing? I'm sorry if that made no sense!
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:40 AM
I can just tell you what I do.

I ALWAYS do cardio any time is work out. Always have. Whether it be 15-45 min. That being said, I usually can't get to the gym daily because of kids/schedules.

But when I go I do cardio, upper body/abs, then the next day I'll do cardio/lower body.

It also depends what you want to achieve. I really want to be very cardiovascularly (sp) healthy, lose fat and tone up. So right now I make cardio a major priority. Eventually I may tone down the cardio and focus more on lifting. Or just mix it up to mix it up.

Lol. Don't know if thAt helped at all. Sorry!
ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:16 AM

I think you have brought up a very good point. The idea of working the same muscle groups on consecutive days can be very confusing and it is always something that has been a point of confusion for myself.

My personal opinion is that...it is OKAY to work the same muscles on consecutive days. I've come to this conclusion because if you look at professional athletes they will work the same muscles everyday. A pro football player is going to be practicing their running, throwing, & jumping everyday. A pro volleyball player will be playing volleyball everyday, a pro ballerina will be using their same leg muscles everyday (ect). You get my point, yes?

While I realize not everyone is a professional athlete I do think it is okay to not worry so much about making one day "ab day" vs "cardio day". I think it is important to listen to our bodies. If our legs are sore/in pain then I think that is a good indication to take it easy on legs that day (ie: take a walk instead of going on an intense run). Likewise, if our shoulders are sore from lifting weights then perhaps we should focus less on lifting that day.

I recently started taking crossfit classes and the other day a new crossfit member at my gym asked if it was okay to work the same muscles on back-to-back days. The crossfit trainers answered the question by saying that their crossfit classes will inevitably hit every muscle group at each workout. There is no such thing as "leg day" or "shoulder day" in crossfit. So, I guess what I have taken away from my coaches is that it is OKAY to challenge our bodies and work all of our muscles everyday. That doesn't mean we are fatiguing every single muscle every day, it just means that we are activating different muscles each day.

I will say that, in my experience, I can usually tell when my classes are focusing on upper body vs. lower body muscles. However, through the warm ups and cool downs I notice I am working every muscle in my body even if it seems like the focus is on one particular muscle group.

I hope that helps.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:34 AM

It's up to you if you skip the kickboxing.  Try both and see where your energy is.

Remember that you can't crunch your way to a six-pack.  You would benefit more by focusing on various body parts for those 15 minutes (say, legs one day, abs and other core another, back and chest another, arms and shoulders another, etc).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:16 AM

I always do cardio and strength training together, BUT, I do cardio/upper body and abs one day, (I do really intensive ab training), and cardio/lower body the next, and then rest the third day.  

UpSheRises
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I'd rotate them. Cardio and abs on monday...strength and cardio on tuesday...

I'm no expert but it seems like moving your body is good whenever you do it.

sokolowski
by Lady T on Apr. 25, 2014 at 1:31 PM
What does your intensive training consist of?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I always do cardio and strength training together, BUT, I do cardio/upper body and abs one day, (I do really intensive ab training), and cardio/lower body the next, and then rest the third day.  

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
6 Week 6 Pack with Jillian Michaels. 35 minutes of planks and supermans.

Quoting sokolowski: What does your intensive training consist of?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2014 at 7:44 PM

These ladies have some good advice...good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)