Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Here's my problem...maybe you can help

Posted by on May. 1, 2014 at 6:13 AM
  • 16 Replies
UPDATE!! Yesterday went amazingly well!! I ate when I was hungry...which ended up being not all that often because I was eating more at each sitting!! For bfast I had oatmeal, Greek yogurt and sunflower seeds. Snack was a protein bar. Lunch was a tuna wrap on this great wrap w flax seeds in it, w lettuce, spinach, mozzarella cheese and vinegar. Snack was a few organic tortilla chips, carrots and hummus. Dinner was homemade Mac and cheese with organic whole grain pasta. And I wasn't hungry for my evening snack!! Stayed in my calorie range...I only really counted because I was curious to see how over I'd go...turns out not at all! I felt great! Thanks ladies :)

Ok. I'm a super hungry person. I always have been. Counting calories is really really hard for me. I just feel starving all the time. I've tried staying busy, drinking water, eating more protein. I'm just miserable. I end up getting so hungry that I just say screw it and mess up all my good choices by bingeing on crap all evening. I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't count calories...
Here's my idea that I got from an article I read. If I make myself a loaded shake in the morning (fruit, kale, chia/flax seeds, almond or coconut milk) to try to fill me up, along with like some eggs or something for bfast. Then maybe for lunch, have a salad first, then a small portion of leftovers, maybe a sandwich on whole wheat. Dinner just a regular portion of something healthy. Then for snacks, fruit, veggies, cheese...good healthy choices. But don't count calories. Just limit portion sizes and no extra calories like sugary drinks, unneeded condiments etc. does this sound good?
I just can't feel like this anymore. I have a busy job and even at home I've got 3 kids, all involved in stuff. We're busy much of the time and I just walk around feeling either starving or guilty. I hate this!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2014 at 6:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TowerWife
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 6:58 AM
I think the healthy snacks will get you on the right track. Also Google natural appetite suppressants, and maybe try to eat some of those. Good luck.
jekrmom
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 7:01 AM

I believe you are on the right track!  Portion size ~ along with healthier choices ~ is definitely a great start.  I have learned too that getting the right and proper nutrients into you will help you feel fuller for longer too.  I am starting a program in the next week or so that a good friend of mine has been on for 11 weeks and she has lost 53 pounds!  She has followed it and not gotten off track rarely at all.  She said the cravings she used to have weren't there and she felt full and satisfied!  Do your research and stick with it ~ it will become a way of life!

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on May. 1, 2014 at 7:21 AM

I think counting calories is a waste of time, it's too much for me too. I don't want to log everything I eat, and how much. That sounds exhausting.

I'm not huge on portion control, either.

I have been Paleo for a year and a half. I eat whatever I want that falls within my guidelines, in whatever quantity I want. If I want two plates at dinner, I eat two plates at dinner.

I'm 5'9", 127 pounds. When I started I was around 150. I was down to 135 in three months.

3kidz123
by on May. 1, 2014 at 8:09 AM

There is no reason to actually diet enless you have to, like say you are trying to get prepped for a bikini competition or you do some other sport that requires a leaner you. For someone who just wants to be healthy with no time limit eat when your hungry just keep it really healthy. Dieting is really hard and counting calories is not a fun way to live your whole life. I'm trying to get my body back right now and get ready for a bikini competition but the second it's over I'm all done calorie counting! (I'll still eat really smart but who wants to crunch numbers every single time they eat.)

MunchiesMom324
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 8:14 AM
I despise counting calories.

I just make healthier choices, and in smaller amounts. If i am hungry, i will eat a little something... and wait 30 min. If im still getting growls from my stomach,i will eat a litte more.
Opal614
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 8:18 AM
I've learned what foods I can eat a ton of and get very full on that contain very few calories. I eat a full pie plate of pumpkin oatmeal with egg whites everyday for 250 caliries. I eat giant egg white and pepper scrambles for 150 calories. A whole container of strawberries is under 150. A whole pound if frozen broccoli is less than 150.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 1, 2014 at 8:22 AM

JMO...I wouldn't count calories so much as what macronutrients I'm eating   Carbs are okay...they give quick energy but lead to the insulin/hunger roller coaster.  Protein is not an efficient fuel.  Fat is and effiicient fuel and is key to satiety.  Examine what you're eating, ignore MFP's fat limit, and go ahead and eat healthy fats.  Eggs for breakfast is a good idea!  Maybe add some full-fat cottage cheese and berries, or that shake sounds good, too.  With your lunch salad, be sure to get some healthy fat:  olive oil in the dressing, maybe some diced avocado, cheese, maybe hard boiled egg or tuna on the salad (one of my faves is a can of tuna, a diced tomato, and a diced avocado on salad greens w/homemade Italian dressing....I can go for several hours on that alone!)  With dinner, don't worry about "low-fat" foods.  Enjoy butter or sour cream with your potatoes.

After eating, wait 20 minutes or so before deciding that you're hungry enough to eat more.

Lesgerm
by Leslie on May. 1, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Thanks ladies!! I feel better reading all these encouraging comments :)
I love your ideas too!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_Natural
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:37 PM
I feel the same way!! Even if I eat healthy I get really anxious if I only have like 400 calories or so left for dinner. I'll think, well I would go over anyway and then I eat too much! I think I'm going to take a break from counting and just try to make healthy choices. It stresses me out if I forget to count stuff too lol
mem82
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM

When I'm really hungry, I eat a salad with cheese on it. It really helps tide me over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)