Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Mom Kicked Out of Gym for Teaching Her Kid to Lift Weights

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 2:28 PM
  • 16 Replies

Mom Kicked Out of Gym for Teaching Her Kid to Lift Weights

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

krista grubbsA mom in Palm Harbor, Florida, recently had her membership at an LA Fitness revoked for working out with her 13-year-old son. No need to refresh your computer screen, you read that right the first time. Krista Grubb, a professional fitness trainer, was guiding her son, Mason, when he starting to lift weights. Both Krista and Mason were enjoying themselves; Krista commenting on how she was was excited for Mason "to see the changes in his body that she saw in hers," and Mason talking about how it was "good bonding time" for his mother and him. But their experience was quickly thwarted when Krista went to the gym the following morning and learned that her membership had been revoked for "training people" on the premises.

Training people? Huh. Here, I thought this was just a mom acting like a parent to her kid. Silly me!

By show of hands, how many people engaged in some sort of sport or physical activity with their parents when they were younger or engage in physical activity with their kids now? I can see through my computer screen, a lot of you. Whether it's a boy learning to throw and catch with his father or a girl taking on tennis with her mother, it's a common part of both parenting and childhood. It's what we parents do -- because it's our job (one of many). But does that make us professionals? Sure, Krista is a trainer by trade, but I'm a writer by trade. If I help my daughter with her English homework, am I a tutor? And if I'm teaching her healthy eating habits, am I a nutritionist? If so, I'd like to speak with my manager, because I am woefully underpaid.

When we become parents, we take on a million and one jobs that, technically speaking, exist in the world, but without the pay -- just as our parents did for us when we were young. Professionalizing common aspects of being a mother or father is ridiculous. What does that say about what's become of the family dynamic or the parent-child relationship? Everything isn't business. In fact, when you're a mom or dad, nothing is business. Everything is done out of love and what's best for the kid.

As ridiculous as it is, LA Fitness should have approached Krista and asked her to stop if they were so outraged that she had the audacity to guide her son in his newfound weight training activity. Revoking her membership? Positively ridiculous. Hopefully, Krista and Mason will keep up with their new "bonding time" at home -- where no one will question what they're doing.

Do you think it was right for this woman to have her gym membership revoked?

by on May. 2, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mich2.0
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:30 PM
Whaaat? That's ridiculous.
MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Fricking stupid.
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on May. 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I feel there is more to this story. I do know if you are a trainer and at a gym that you are not employed at that you must be very careful not to train or give advice. The gym sees it as losing money on the personal trainers you have there and also a liability issue.

AlleyCat08
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 3:41 PM
She is guiding her child, not some random patron of the gym.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

I feel there is more to this story. I do know if you are a trainer and at a gym that you are not employed at that you must be very careful not to train or give advice. The gym sees it as losing money on the personal trainers you have there and also a liability issue.

AlleyCat08
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 3:42 PM
This story is crazy. If it was someone she didn't know, I would understand being revoked, but to guide her child?
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on May. 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM
You say guide... but training looks different. If she is walking around the gym with her son with a clipboard noting his training... showing him exercises and not working in sets. That's called training which gym rules tell you not to do. Plus it said she got revoked for training people... So who knows if she wasn't training other people. Like I said it feel things are missing from this story.

Quoting AlleyCat08: She is guiding her child, not some random patron of the gym.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

beadingmom17
by Rachel on May. 2, 2014 at 8:29 PM
I agree. It feels like there has to be more to this.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl: You say guide... but training looks different. If she is walking around the gym with her son with a clipboard noting his training... showing him exercises and not working in sets. That's called training which gym rules tell you not to do. Plus it said she got revoked for training people... So who knows if she wasn't training other people. Like I said it feel things are missing from this story.

Quoting AlleyCat08: She is guiding her child, not some random patron of the gym.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 3, 2014 at 1:41 AM

I agree that there is likely more to this.  I agree that she should be able to work with her kids, as many of us likely do, but if she was doing more beyond this, which is possible, then yeah, she broke the rules.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 3, 2014 at 6:35 AM

There's definitely more to this story!

TatorsBaby09
by on May. 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Gyms are getting too high and mighty. She was spending time with her son. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)