Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What vitamins are missing if you skip veggies?

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 9:03 PM
  • 20 Replies

So, I hate veggies. I love salads, but I can only bear to eat that once a day for so long... And I'm not a fan of smoothies except every once in awhile. I do enjoy stir fry with veggies but that's only once a week for dinner. I just found that I LOVE winter melon, but there's only so many ways to cook that too lol. I mostly just eat beef a few times a week, whole grains a few times a week, white rice once or twice a week, and lots of fruit and sugar(thanks to my addiction to Yoplait Greek 100, coffee with creamer and cereal/granola lol). I want to get back on track with diet and exercise, but I don't think I have it in me to stick with the diet my nutritionist gave me before I got pregnant... I always felt like I was lacking something and hungry, which is probably because  hardly ever eat veggies to help fill me because then I would end up over on my fats and salt due to dressings and marinade/sauces. I'm worried though that I may be missing vital nutrients if I skip veggies almost daily(I usually eat veggies once a day or every other day). Everyone I know says I should just suck it up and either starve or eat foods that make me gag... That's just not acceptable to me. I do stick to my calorie limit that I have set for myself since I am breast feeding, but I often feel hungry but I am too scared to do any more extra calories for fear of gaining back what I've lost.

I could use some insight from those who have more knowledge.

by on May. 7, 2014 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:38 PM
My taste buds have changes. After the first few weeks I crave veggies and fruits and salads.

My whole lifestyle centers around a whole foods plant based diet.

Vitamins have their place but for me I strive and crave to get them from the whole foods I eat.

Good luck!
MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:39 PM
That sounded really high and mighty, not how I meant it.
Mrs.Pedro
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Haha you're fine. I understood. I have changed my diet drastically over the last year and a half... Eating more whole wheats and grains in place of whites, more veggies, more fruit, and farrrrrr less processed foods which was what my diet consisted of mostly before(that's all I knew since that was what I grew up on). But the whole grains and veggies are the worst for me... If I want a sandwich I want it with white bread for example... Whole grain is too crunchy and firm and the taste is too overpowering. So instead I usually skip bread and just have lettuce wraps. But there really isn't anything to replace veggies... They are kind of vital haha. I do blend them into my homemade pasta sauces once or twice a month just fine, but I find I always have to cover their flavor and texture or cook them with meats in high amounts of seasonings and salt which is defeating the purpose(trying to lower salt intake and fat/sugar).

Quoting MommyJill87: That sounded really high and mighty, not how I meant it.

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:37 PM
So, you know that you're withholding all that healthy stuff from your baby, too, right??
That would make me gag just about anything down...

Hmmm...

So you don't like vegetables at all?? Or you just think you don't because when you were little someone didn't make you eat them or something? That's usually the problem.

My nutritionist said salads don't really count as vegetables - lettuce doesn't do much for you and if you add dressing - well you already got that part. Granted he's only a nutritionist and not an RD...

Try veggies again. Try them dried, baked, steamed or raw. No sauce - no seasoning. I think you might be surprised. I like most of my veggies raw, steamed or grilled. I can't stand limo, soft, slimy things...it's the texture that gets me.

And the poster above is right - after a few days, you start craving fresh fruits and vegetables!

You could get a full load of veggies in a smoothie - I know you say you don't like it - but really - maybe you just don't have a good recipe. Right now I've got one with broccoli, spinach, carrot, orange juice, ginger, and mango. It smells "citrusy green" but really tastes like a mango smoothie. My kids don't even know there is broccoli in it! I like a spicey one with tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, onion, celery and spinach - I add a dash of salt and sometimes a jalapeño or two - pretty yummy!
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 7, 2014 at 10:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Actually, most vitamins are found in both fruits and veggies.  As long as you eat a variety of fruits, you should be okay.

I found this chart to be VERY interesting:  http://www.health-alternatives.com/vitamins-nutrition-chart.html

Minerals are just as important as vitamins....take a look at this chart, though:  http://www.health-alternatives.com/fruit-nutrition-chart.html

See?  you just have to get a variety.  My only concern is that to get the nutrition you need from fruit, you'll be eating a lot of natural sugar.  But, that is my personal opinion.

Mrs.Pedro
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:40 PM

I have been tried on veggies as a kid, but the canned kind and I didn't and still do not like them. My mom forced me to at least try things, but especially green beans as that was what she could afford most... I threw up everytime so now it's probably more mental than anything with those. I want to try asparagus, but I can only find it canned here or frozen. I do like raw veggies but only if I can dip it in dressing or hummus or cream cheese with chive and onion. I've tried them grilled and steamed and it's just gross to me. I have not tried baked as most recipes call to use olive oil and salt to season them and I'm not a fan of the flavor of olive oil. I have tried spinach in my smoothies as well as carrots(both together and apart) blended in with fruit and juice, and it isn't bad, but it usually makes me feel a bit queasy from all the sweetness I guess. I wish I liked them with yogurt or milk, but I don't. And yes I do know he's not getting them if I'm not eating them enough... But I feel confident that what I DO eat of the good stuff is enough to fortify my milk... Breast feeding doesn't take away from what you are currently or recently ate... It is made with what is stored already.

Quoting mybratsmom: So, you know that you're withholding all that healthy stuff from your baby, too, right?? That would make me gag just about anything down... Hmmm... So you don't like vegetables at all?? Or you just think you don't because when you were little someone didn't make you eat them or something? That's usually the problem. My nutritionist said salads don't really count as vegetables - lettuce doesn't do much for you and if you add dressing - well you already got that part. Granted he's only a nutritionist and not an RD... Try veggies again. Try them dried, baked, steamed or raw. No sauce - no seasoning. I think you might be surprised. I like most of my veggies raw, steamed or grilled. I can't stand limo, soft, slimy things...it's the texture that gets me. And the poster above is right - after a few days, you start craving fresh fruits and vegetables! You could get a full load of veggies in a smoothie - I know you say you don't like it - but really - maybe you just don't have a good recipe. Right now I've got one with broccoli, spinach, carrot, orange juice, ginger, and mango. It smells "citrusy green" but really tastes like a mango smoothie. My kids don't even know there is broccoli in it! I like a spicey one with tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, onion, celery and spinach - I add a dash of salt and sometimes a jalapeño or two - pretty yummy!

Mrs.Pedro
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:51 PM

I do worry about the sugar. I know too much of anything can be bad.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Actually, most vitamins are found in both fruits and veggies.  As long as you eat a variety of fruits, you should be okay.

I found this chart to be VERY interesting:  http://www.health-alternatives.com/vitamins-nutrition-chart.html

Minerals are just as important as vitamins....take a look at this chart, though:  http://www.health-alternatives.com/fruit-nutrition-chart.html

See?  you just have to get a variety.  My only concern is that to get the nutrition you need from fruit, you'll be eating a lot of natural sugar.  But, that is my personal opinion.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 8, 2014 at 5:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Rhonda has some good advice...good luck!

goldpandora
by on May. 8, 2014 at 5:47 AM

Sometimes it's the way that veggies are prepared that put us off them. Try green beans with a touch of butter and garlic and fresh parsley sprinkled over them. Or if you have steamed veg, put a white sauce over them, add some cheese to the top, grill it and call it a main course :)

How about grated carrots, a smidgin of garlic, lemon juice and a few drops of olive oil as a starter? The same can be done with raw sliced mushrooms...

Or make a ratatouille - it goes with so many things!

Yes, you've guessed it, I LOVE vegetables (despite my mother thinking that the only way to cook vegetables was to boil them...).

Mrs.Pedro
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM
You just named a bunch of things I don't know how to cook or what they are lol. I'm the only person in my house that likes alfredo so I always just make spaghetti sauce with blended veggies(spinach, carrots, zucchini). And I dislike the texture of mushrooms which is a huge bummer considering how popular and filling they are for my husband.

Quoting goldpandora:

Sometimes it's the way that veggies are prepared that put us off them. Try green beans with a touch of butter and garlic and fresh parsley sprinkled over them. Or if you have steamed veg, put a white sauce over them, add some cheese to the top, grill it and call it a main course :)

How about grated carrots, a smidgin of garlic, lemon juice and a few drops of olive oil as a starter? The same can be done with raw sliced mushrooms...

Or make a ratatouille - it goes with so many things!

Yes, you've guessed it, I LOVE vegetables (despite my mother thinking that the only way to cook vegetables was to boil them...).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN