Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

The view on mommy body's really drives me NUTS!

Posted by on May. 10, 2014 at 8:23 AM
  • 28 Replies
4 moms liked this

All over CM I see posts about boob jobs and tummy tucks, or people hiding their belly's because of stretch marks. Where did all this shame and self hate come from? Why is surgery more appealing then just loving the skin your in and why on earth are there so many grown women who think imperfections are something to hate?

I'm not trying to be mean...I just don't understand this thinking and it bums me out to see comments about how ugly and shameful stretch marks are. Maby yours are but mine are sexy, mine came from my body changing to bring 6 amazing children into this world and I'm sorry but that's pretty awesome! I wish everyone would just love the skin they are in...your all pretty in your own way!

Vent over :)

by on May. 10, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on May. 10, 2014 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Stretch marks aren't pretty. Sorry, but they aren't. Doesn't mean you have to be ashamed of them, but that fact does come with a certain amount of acceptance. If you are willing to flaunt them, so be it and good on ya, but the people of the world aren't going to change. Young, childless women will still look upon your "Mommy Body" with pity and swear to themselves that they will never look like us. Men will still look at us, then their girlfriends/wives, and wonder if their bodies are going to be wrecked like ours, and how they will feel about it if it happens.

Also, boobs sag. *Shrugs* You get to a certain point and they aren't perfectly perky anymore. It's just another acceptance thing. I don't blame or judge anyone for doing anything to perk them up. Same with the tummy tuck, if someone wants to rid themselves of that excess skin, good for them. 

I tell my hairdresser at the salon every time I go in, I like being a Mom, I don't want to look like a Mom. I use the same mentality with my body. Shallow, vain, snobby, whatever. Its honest. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree with you, but until people stop looking at saggy boobs/saggy belly skin/stretch marks as ugly, women are going to feel that they're imperfect.

My DH has said something to me about a tummy tuck and boob job.....I told him if he gets butt implants and a penile implant, I would consider.  End of THAT discussion.  Hey, it goes both ways.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on May. 10, 2014 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

HA! Now there is a way to stop that conversation in it's tracks, LMAO.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I agree with you, but until people stop looking at saggy boobs/saggy belly skin/stretch marks as ugly, women are going to feel that they're imperfect.

My DH has said something to me about a tummy tuck and boob job.....I told him if he gets butt implants and a penile implant, I would consider.  End of THAT discussion.  Hey, it goes both ways.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 10, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

That's EXACTLY what it did!  He never mentioned it again.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

HA! Now there is a way to stop that conversation in it's tracks, LMAO.

Quoting michiganmom116:

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on May. 10, 2014 at 9:52 AM
I think it's because celebs and models show the image of perfection after having babies. It's unrealistic. If someone wants to get surgery, that's fine for them. I don't care one way or the other. Why let it bother you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaNeeNee
by on May. 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Love it! You're totally spot on!
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on May. 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Matter of perspective.... I love transforming my body and my ideal means less body fat and little boobies. My DH knows once I drop all the body fat and compete one day I want fake boobies. It looks more appealing. My stretch marks I don't care about because hey it was a journey and they are there (Plus tanning helps cover them). I had them because I was heavy before pregnancy. Now for tummy tuck I will get one of those once I finish having babies. I worked hard on my body and nothing wrong in my book with finishing touches. Different strokes for different folks.
WundrWmn
by on May. 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I see nothing wrong with a woman wanting to look her best even after having children. I've had 2 boob jobs (not due to kids, I just wanted bigger boobs because I find them nice) and if I want a tummy tuck or facelift at some point, I will totally do it. Not for my husband, he loves me the way I am, but because I want to. Personally I enjoy looking and feeling good. I wear makeup everyday (despite working from home), I bust my ass in the gym and love the results. It about being happy with yourself whether you have to work hard at it or choose not to. For some women that means liking their body just the way it is, and for other that may mean having some work done. You may not understand it because that's not how you think, but then again, I don't understand not wanting to do some routine maintenance on your body to keep yourself looking good. Just different opinions.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 10, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Well....just because I don't want a tummy tuck or boob job, does that mean I don't want to look my best?  Not at all!  That's why I'm working out and eating right.  That's what I consider routine maintenance....I look a HELLUVA lot better than most women my age, even some younger women!  I just chose a different route (and I despise hospitals and medical procedures. )

I see nothing wrong with cosmetic surgery if that's what a woman wants, though.   My own grandmother had several cosmetic surgeries.  We have the freedom of choice, and that's LOVELY!

rockinmomto2
by on May. 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

People, women especially, are taught to hate their bodies. We're taught that unless you have a perfect body, you're worthless. If your body doesn't immediately bounce back after a baby, you're worthless. If you have stretch marks, you're worthless. If yo don't wear make up, you're worthless. And on and on and on. I've stopped paying attention to it. I have fat, but that doesn't define me. I have stretch marks, but I don't give two hoots what other people think of my body. It's mine, and I will clothe it and display it as I see fit. If I don't wear make up, that's my business and my business alone. Women need to be taught to appreciate their bodies for the amazing capabilities they have, not what they look like.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN