Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Is all this weight loss/exercise stuff OBSESSIVE?

Posted by on May. 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM
  • 25 Replies

Am I the only one who looks at our society and wonders if we are way too obsessed with appearance?  I feel like everywhere I go, every channel I turn to, every website I visit there is this OBSESSION with how a woman looks.  She must be young, thin, fit.  She must fit the mold.  Men don't have this pressure.  Men are allowed to lose their hair, get old, get bellies, turn gray-- they are actually allowed to AGE.  But not women.  I know we all agree on this. 

So I guess here's the real question I'm asking:  by constantly obsessing over our weight, our exercise, our calories, our appearance-- do we as women just play right into this war on us? Are we basically saying, "Yes, you're right society, I SHOULD be fit and thin and pretty?  As I type this right now there is an ad to the right by Dove.  They're not selling soap, ladies.  No where on this ad is the word "soap" even used.  They're selling "BEAUTY BARS."  FRICKIN' BEAUTY BARS!!  Because, after all, what could possibly be more important for women than BEAUTY???

by on May. 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkfairy0206
by on May. 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this. But i want those things for myself. Not anyone else. I'm not afraid to get older, but I want to be the best(or close to it) for ME.
M4LG5
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2014 at 12:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I do agree for sure but I also admit that I fall into this world of "I want to be thinner".  I don't buy a lot of make-up and do anything special for my hair but I do want to be healthy and thinner.  I want it for myself to fit in clothes that I like instead of looking frumpy in clothes that I don't like and don't like how the bulge of my waist hangs out of my pants. 

beaglgirl
by New Member on May. 23, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Yeah, that's a good point.  I think maybe I'm not sure if I exercise and deprive myself of things for ME, or because I know the world is simply harder for an overweight woman.  I have a hard time making that distinction.  I wonder when my daughter sees me exercising whether she thinks I am doing it to just be fit and thin, or whether she thinks I am doing it for my own mental/emotional well-being. I should probably ask her.

Quoting pinkfairy0206: I agree with this. But i want those things for myself. Not anyone else. I'm not afraid to get older, but I want to be the best(or close to it) for ME.

beadingmom17
by Rachel on May. 23, 2014 at 12:38 PM
They call them beauty bars because they're supposed to be more mild than soap, so Dove tries to distance it from the traditional idea of soap.

And there has always been an "ideal image" to live up to. Sex sells, so whatever the social norm for the day is will be used in advertising. How we react to it is what shapes future "ideal" images. I think obsessing over your image to be perfect is dangerous and a bad mental game to get into. If someone obsesses over their body and weight for health reasons, then I think it's okay, so long as they stop when they reach a good weight for their frame.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3kidz123
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I think that looking your best at any age man or woman IS good! The problem is the cookie cutter mold...I don't look like you and you'll never look like me no matter how much we diet and workout, but I can look like a fite version of ME! I think seeking perfection is nuts but seeking a healthy and fit life is great. 

3kidz123
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2014 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

See everyone in my life know's I workout for mental and physical health. I do it because I feel good at my best and I enjoy working out. Lifting IS fun for me and though I am obbsessed with training and my food I'm not obbsessed with my actual looks. I could care less about how people "think" I look, for me it's how I feel in my skin. My kids know that looks don't matter BUT health does!

Quoting beaglgirl:

Yeah, that's a good point.  I think maybe I'm not sure if I exercise and deprive myself of things for ME, or because I know the world is simply harder for an overweight woman.  I have a hard time making that distinction.  I wonder when my daughter sees me exercising whether she thinks I am doing it to just be fit and thin, or whether she thinks I am doing it for my own mental/emotional well-being. I should probably ask her.

Quoting pinkfairy0206: I agree with this. But i want those things for myself. Not anyone else. I'm not afraid to get older, but I want to be the best(or close to it) for ME.

beaglgirl
by New Member on May. 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head.  the problem is that the "cookie cutter mold" which is so prevalent in our society IS youth, thinness, and beauty.  We need a more encompassing "mold" for our daughters (and ourselves).  In our society even the slightest bit of "pudge" falls under the umbrella of "letting herself go" and "she needs to work out more".

Quoting 3kidz123:

I think that looking your best at any age man or woman IS good! The problem is the cookie cutter mold...I don't look like you and you'll never look like me no matter how much we diet and workout, but I can look like a fite version of ME! I think seeking perfection is nuts but seeking a healthy and fit life is great. 

sheli.bean
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 12:56 PM
I'm not trying to get thin and beautiful, I'm trying to get healthy. To me, I'm beautiful no matter how I physically look. And along with getting healthy, I will lose weight as a "side effect". Altering my physical appearance was never my goal. I just want to be healthy. I think it's all a personal battle. However you want to look at your own journey should be up to you...not society. I completely agree with what you're saying.
3kidz123
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2014 at 1:01 PM

I must live under a rock because the only pressure I feel is from myself. I think the key is what you are around...if you are around shallow and vain people then the pressure to be young and skinny is higher. I surround myself with people who don't care about looks and read magazines about strength and not weighing 100 pounds. lol

My point is that what you surround yourself with is very important!

Oh and self esteem plays a huge role in how much pressure each person feels too!

Quoting beaglgirl:

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head.  the problem is that the "cookie cutter mold" which is so prevalent in our society IS youth, thinness, and beauty.  We need a more encompassing "mold" for our daughters (and ourselves).  In our society even the slightest bit of "pudge" falls under the umbrella of "letting herself go" and "she needs to work out more".

Quoting 3kidz123:

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on May. 23, 2014 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't feel deprived, or that I deprive myself of anything at all.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to be beautiful, or to be the best "me" that I can be.

People make a big deal about issues like this, but quite frankly I see more and more backlash against the health, fitness, and beauty industries lately than I see negative stories about obesity. Those of us that are thin and fit catch more flack here on Cafemom in other groups than most obese people. In my real life, my coworkers tease me about not eating the donuts and cookies people bring in, and call me a skinny freak. When did I become a freak for being healthy?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)