Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Flat stomach after c sections, is it possible?

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:14 PM
  • 27 Replies

I've had 2 c sections, last one being 3 years ago. I have loose skin on my stomach which doesn't bother me enough to consider surgery but I am wondering if there's a way to tone it up a little?! I've never been one to work out and I don't need to lose weight I'm simply wondering what everyone else does (if anything) to try and tone it up and maybe not be so flabby? Do regular stomach exercises work?

by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeFit-Mom
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 7:10 PM

"Regular" ab exercises like crunches, bicycles, etc. will NOT flatten your abdomen. You need to start with exercises that build strength in your deep abdominals, the Transverse Abdominis (TvA), then do exercises that train this muscle to function properly as a stabilizer.

Google my screen name for more info.

BeFit-Mom

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:15 PM

To eliminate belly fat, you need to eat a very clean diet.  Abs are made in the kitchen.  Diet is key here.

Lindsey1823
by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Thanks, I'll do that

Quoting BeFit-Mom:

"Regular" ab exercises like crunches, bicycles, etc. will NOT flatten your abdomen. You need to start with exercises that build strength in your deep abdominals, the Transverse Abdominis (TvA), then do exercises that train this muscle to function properly as a stabilizer.

Google my screen name for more info.

BeFit-Mom

Lindsey1823
by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:56 PM

It's not really belly fat, more like loose skin

Quoting darbyakeep45:

To eliminate belly fat, you need to eat a very clean diet.  Abs are made in the kitchen.  Diet is key here.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jun. 5, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I had a c-section 11 years ago. I have an AMAZING core, not just abs. It's about training the abs, hip flexors, and lower back to become the whole package. You can't crunch your way to a flat stomach.

The other caveat to this is that if you had a nice, flat, toned stomach before pregnancy, you are more likely to have a nice, flat, toned stomach after the fact. Very few people go from squishy mid-section to pregnant, and then have a flat, toned core. It's partly diet, partly exercise, and a healthy dose of body habitus and genetics. 

Lindsey1823
by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I had a pretty flat stomach before pregnancy, its nice to know its possible again

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I had a c-section 11 years ago. I have an AMAZING core, not just abs. It's about training the abs, hip flexors, and lower back to become the whole package. You can't crunch your way to a flat stomach.

The other caveat to this is that if you had a nice, flat, toned stomach before pregnancy, you are more likely to have a nice, flat, toned stomach after the fact. Very few people go from squishy mid-section to pregnant, and then have a flat, toned core. It's partly diet, partly exercise, and a healthy dose of body habitus and genetics. 

Momma_2_boys
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:33 PM

I hope so ... Been working my butt off. Had 2 c-section in 2006, 2008

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Well then surgery is the only way to fix loose skin.

Quoting Lindsey1823:

It's not really belly fat, more like loose skin

Quoting darbyakeep45:

CrossStitchMum
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:13 AM
For me I don't think so. I have the apron as well and my muscles are still a good 3-5 cms apart
DomDuck
by New Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM

i have not yet read responses. I was just starting to research as i had mine 10 months ago. I read there is a section/layer of scar tissue between the scar and the pooch that makes it hard to get it flat....i DEFINITELY have that......do you?

does anyone else? any ideas how to help? thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)