Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

You Won’t Believe What Drinking More Water Did to This Woman

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:47 AM
  • 15 Replies

You Won’t Believe What Drinking More Water Did to This Woman

by Adriana Velez

glass of waterYou know how we should all be drinking lots of water? People say drinking gallons of water makes your skin luminous, but isn't that all theoretical? I rejoice every time I come across a study that says, "Meh, you don't have to drink THAT much water." Because drinking lots of water is kind of a hassle, mainly because what goes in must come back out again. And don't we all have better things to do than run to the restroom 20 times a day? I was holding fast to the "meh" school of water drinking until I saw this: Daily Mail writer Sarah Smith drank 3 liters of water a day for four weeks and showed the results. You guys, it took years off her face. I'm convinced now.

You'll have to see the before, during, and after photos, but wow. When she says it took years off her face, she's not exaggerating. It could be a change in the lighting (the "before" photo is a bit darker), but it sure looks like drinking a lot of water made her skin more luminous. She also lost a bit of weight and reports that various bodily functions are much improved. So okay, okay, UNCLE -- I definitely want to drink more water!

So, how to get started? In case you were wondering, 3 liters equals 101 ounces, or roughly 12 cups (not to be confused with glasses). To my mind, that sits just between ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? and (gulp) okay, maybe I could do that. According to the Institute of Medicine, an "adequate" amount of fluids for women is 2.2 liters or 9 cups a day (3 liters for men) -- and that's fluids, not just water. I should also add that Smith recommends talking with your doctor before attempting to inundate your system with this much water. That aside, though, how to manage to drink more water?

dink more water

1. Start first thing in the morning. I've got a head start on this, actually, because I've been starting my mornings with a cup of hot lemon water. But even if you don't do that, your body will love a glass of water first thing in the morning (unless you're pregnant -- I could never drink water on an empty stomach during my pregnancy).

2. Drink tea. Smith says tea counts -- not so much tea made from some sort of sugary syrup or powder, but actual brewed tea and tisane.

3. Drink iced tea. Check the labels to see if it's brewed from real leaves and make sure it's either sugar-free or is at least low in sugar (15 grams or fewer).

4. Buy a water bottle and a carafe. Keep the bottle around with you during the day. Keep the carafe and matching glass by your bedside.

5. Use a filter. I'm lucky enough to live in a city with water so delicious, it wins awards. I'm not kidding. But if your water is brackish or otherwise not-delicious, invest in a water filter (whatever you can afford is going to be better than nothing).

6. Spa-ify your water. Keep a jug of water with cucumber slices, mint leaves, or citrus slices in the refrigerator for a low-sugar way to flavor your water. It's a small thing, but doing this to my water makes me feel fancy.

7. Drink before you eat. People will debate this until the sun goes down, but it's worth trying: Have a glass of water before every meal.

8. Get your phone to remind you. Water Your Body for Android and Waterlogged for iPhone are apps that nag you to re-hydrate. Or you could even set up a little timer to remind you. Whatever it takes!

How much water do you think you drink a day?

by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM
I have a 24 oz cup that I just keep refilling it through out the day. I don't really keep track of how many times I refill it

I didn't know brewed tea would count but I love tea just need to work on not drinking it southern style lol
bry36
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 11:29 AM

I do about 90oz a day I was getting 72 but finally got it up to 90 yay me ! LOL weekends are my struggle though sometimes I don't even get 32 but I am working on that .

SonnysMommy821
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM
I do this all the time drinking plenty of water also eating certain foods especially watermelon and celery add to your water intake. I start by drinking 20 oz of h2o while getting ready in am. Then another 20 oz shortly after finishing coffee, 20 oz before lunch, another 20-40 oz during rest of work day and on way home. 20 oz after dinner and 10-20 oz before bed. If I exercise intensely I will swap some of water intake for Gatorade or a mix of celery juice and oj/carrot juice. I frequently have people think I'm about 8-10 years younger then I am :)
svolkov
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Thats awesome. I drink about 80-100 a day. Ive been bfing forever tho lol and even tho I am weaning I still drink that much
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Jun. 10, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I drink roughly 100oz a day.  I really try to drink more and when I workout I def. drink more then that.

3kidz123
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 12:27 PM

1-2 gallons a day

Ms.Pteranodon
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

I was sent home from the hospital with a huge water jug. I got in the habit of refilling before I say down to nurse ds.

I've also read that drinking out of a straw increases your intake

Quoting svolkov: Thats awesome. I drink about 80-100 a day. Ive been bfing forever tho lol and even tho I am weaning I still drink that much
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I drink 80 oz. a day (my goal).  If we have hot temps, I've been known to drink more than a gallon a day.

It works.  I'm 48 and am often mistaken for my sons' girlfriends/wives...just 2 weeks ago a co-worker argued that I can't be over 35.

Anoronlight
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM
I don't see how this is a big deal, we are supposed to take our body weight, divide it and that's how many ounces we should be drinking a day. I'm usually under 100 ounces because I bloat, so I'm working up to it.
Janet
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I drink between 80 and 100 oz. a day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)