Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of birth control do you use?

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:23 PM
  • 36 Replies

I've had implanon for almost 3 years (the little arm stick). Its worked well for me, only downside being really irregular periods. I'm thinking about switching to an IUD since those last for 5 years and I definitely don't want more kids. Has anyone used it? Side effects? Pros/cons? Thanks!

by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Liz132
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:29 PM
I would really research the iuds first. I found that doctors seem to downplay the side effects from them. I had one it was nothing but a problem. A friend of mine had one and had some pretty serious problems.
M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this

IUD - Mirena.  Love it.  Have had it ever since my twins were born.

Lindsey1823
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:55 PM

That's what I was afraid of...I've heard of someone who had 3 ectopic (sp?) pregnancies and her doc said it was because of the iud. What kind of issues did you have? If you don't mind me asking...

Quoting Liz132: I would really research the iuds first. I found that doctors seem to downplay the side effects from them. I had one it was nothing but a problem. A friend of mine had one and had some pretty serious problems.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM
2 moms liked this

What did your friend experience?

Yes, there are risks, but that can be said about any BC method or other medication.  The incidence of serious side effects is very rare.  

Mirena is the most commonly used birth control method among health care providers themselves.  It's what I use as well.  I haven't had a period since the first few months that I had my last one put in.  With my second one, I had a little cramping periodically, which I didn't like.  I had it taken out so we could TTC for a couple of months, but had another put in when we didn't conceive in the narrow window we had.  It hasn't affected my weight at all.

Quoting Liz132: I would really research the iuds first. I found that doctors seem to downplay the side effects from them. I had one it was nothing but a problem. A friend of mine had one and had some pretty serious problems.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

svolkov
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Diaphragm tho the spermicide gives me a bad reaction. I also do NFP. Ive tried everything. Hormones give me heart problems..mirena was the worst. I had to get ekgs and all sorts of stuff. Paragard was great except I bled like a stuck pig. I literally had to just sit on the toilet sometimes(like 600+ml of blood compared to the normal 30ml avg for a period)
Dh is getting a vasectomy consult next month
Lindsey1823
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Man, that sounds awful :\ what is NFP?

Quoting svolkov: Diaphragm tho the spermicide gives me a bad reaction. I also do NFP. Ive tried everything. Hormones give me heart problems..mirena was the worst. I had to get ekgs and all sorts of stuff. Paragard was great except I bled like a stuck pig. I literally had to just sit on the toilet sometimes(like 600+ml of blood compared to the normal 30ml avg for a period) Dh is getting a vasectomy consult next month

svolkov
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Natural family planning. I use it as well as the diaphragm and pulling out lol you track your body temp/cervical mucous(i didnt do that one) and can very accurately estimate your fertile days and ovulation(I use an app) I have a very regular cycle tho that is exactly 28 days and never strays lol then we use both the diaphragm with spermicide and pull out OR abstain during that window

Quoting Lindsey1823:

Quoting svolkov: Diaphragm tho the spermicide gives me a bad reaction. I also do NFP. Ive tried everything. Hormones give me heart problems..mirena was the worst. I had to get ekgs and all sorts of stuff. Paragard was great except I bled like a stuck pig. I literally had to just sit on the toilet sometimes(like 600+ml of blood compared to the normal 30ml avg for a period) Dh is getting a vasectomy consult next month

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM

NFP = natural family planning.  You keep a calendar and track your cycle.  One must be EXTREMELY regular and diligent if they use this method.  When done properly, it's very effective, but you have to know how to do it just right.  Basically, you track the days that surround ovulation and abstain from sex during that time (or some people use condoms or other barriers for that time).

Scolkov, my bleeding was that way when I was younger, which is why I've avoided Paragard.  I have endometriosis and iron-deficiency anemia, so it's definitely not the right method for me!

Quoting Lindsey1823:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

sfigu16
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 4:25 PM
I wish I could use BC. I get depressed and fat and my sex drive is -0
Lindsey1823
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Oh, ok I see. I've never heard of that. My period is SO irregular and always has been so I dont think that would work for me. I wish though, its sounds better than all the hormones from other birth controls. I'm also not very good at the pull out method haha both my daughters were conceived when we meant to pull out :p 

Quoting svolkov: Natural family planning. I use it as well as the diaphragm and pulling out lol you track your body temp/cervical mucous(i didnt do that one) and can very accurately estimate your fertile days and ovulation(I use an app) I have a very regular cycle tho that is exactly 28 days and never strays lol then we use both the diaphragm with spermicide and pull out OR abstain during that window
Quoting Lindsey1823:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)