Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Hypothyroidism *Update*

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 2:05 PM
  • 35 Replies
I was diagnosed with graves disease a few years back and had RAI in August of 2012. I was then put on Levothyroxine for Hypothyroidism and since then I have gained almost 30 lbs. I do Zumba at least twice a week if not three and I go for walks with our dog and I still am not losing the weight. Also I have been put on Sertraline (Zoloft) for depression and anxiety. I've read in a forum about the two drugs and some say you shouldn't take them together and some say its ok. Im also tired all of the time. I wake up and eat breakfast and lay back down days I dont go to the gym. Even after i return home from the gym and errands im lay down and end up going to sleep. It's becoming very frustrating and idk what to do.

Anyone else have these type of issues?

****My dr ordered the TSH test only and now I have to go back for the free T4 & T3. Grr.....my levels for the TSH are 1.43. Apparently stilk good. His nurse tokd me to call my pcp because it's obviously something else that's making me have these symptoms. Ummm...I think I will wait and see. I've never been 154 lbs in my life at 4'11".
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group !  I don't have experience with your situation but hugs and good luck!

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this
When was the last time you got your thyroid levels checked? You might need a higher dosage or maybe a different drug. I am on levothyroxine too. Before I was on the brand name one Synthroid but I gained 10 lbs fast and had other issues so they switched me. Supposedly a lot of people do better on Synthriod but not me.

Also what time of day do u take Zoloft. Can you take it at night?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SouthernMamaof1
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 4:37 PM
I had the same issue until I started taking cytomel (t3) and synthroid(t4). It's important to take name brand synthroid and not a generic. It makes a difference. My endo would never prescribe generic.

Also, many patients get a relief from symptoms when they begin taking cytomel (t3). Your metabolism is controlled by the T3....not T4. Ideally, your body should convert t4 in to t3, but it is thought that it's not very good at converting a synthetic.

I lost 40lbs when I began taking cytomel.

You need to have your free t3 tested. Just having your TSH tested is not enough. Your free T3 should be in the upper 1/3 range of normal in order to get your metabolism at an optimal level.
Carmalita28
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Im supposed to get checked again next month but I may call him to get it done sooner. I take the zoloft midday and the levo first thing in the morning.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom: When was the last time you got your thyroid levels checked? You might need a higher dosage or maybe a different drug. I am on levothyroxine too. Before I was on the brand name one Synthroid but I gained 10 lbs fast and had other issues so they switched me. Supposedly a lot of people do better on Synthriod but not me. Also what time of day do u take Zoloft. Can you take it at night?
Carmalita28
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:49 PM
That's good to know. I will mention that to my dr. Thanks.

Quoting SouthernMamaof1: I had the same issue until I started taking cytomel (t3) and synthroid(t4). It's important to take name brand synthroid and not a generic. It makes a difference. My endo would never prescribe generic.

Also, many patients get a relief from symptoms when they begin taking cytomel (t3). Your metabolism is controlled by the T3....not T4. Ideally, your body should convert t4 in to t3, but it is thought that it's not very good at converting a synthetic.

You need to have your free t3 tested. Just having your TSH tested is not enough. Your free T3 should be in the upper 1/3 range of normal in order to get your metabolism at an optimal level.
SouthernMamaof1
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Are you seeing an endocrinologist?

Quoting Carmalita28: That's good to know. I will mention that to my dr. Thanks.

Quoting SouthernMamaof1: I had the same issue until I started taking cytomel (t3) and synthroid(t4). It's important to take name brand synthroid and not a generic. It makes a difference. My endo would never prescribe generic.

Carmalita28
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Yes I am.

Quoting SouthernMamaof1: Are you seeing an endocrinologist?

Quoting Carmalita28: That's good to know. I will mention that to my dr. Thanks.

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Have your levels checked every 4-6 weeks until YOU feel that you are "right."  Meaning, no symptoms of the hypo.  Don't only allow your doctor to go off of blood levels.

For many, the doses of medications will need to be adjusted.  Until it's "right", hang in there and be patient.

Ellen306
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:44 AM
These ladies have lots of good advice. I got Graves last year . I am struggling with my levels . I just got them done at six weeks. They are better I have not have RAI done but am thinking about getting my thyroid out. I am on Methimazole , 3 times a day. I also take heart medicine. I have gained 10 pounds. I am tired all the time to.
Thanks for sharing your story. I don't feel so alone anymore with this disease anymore.
sassy2014
by New Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Yes that I true .I aldo suffer from hypothyroidism and depress and my doctor refuses to give me medication because its just an in balance that gose along with having thyroid condition,I take St.johns wort stay hydrated I have no more depressed. And also find you a good thyroid support herb. Its help with the weight. And a colon cleanse to hrlp your body released some toxins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)