Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Not enough calories...

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:21 PM
  • 21 Replies
I've never counted calories before, I just stuck to food that I know is healthy, cut out starch and grains, fast food, and pop, and exercise everyday. At first, it was going great, I dropped about 25lbs right away, but now I'm kind of plateau-ing. I decided to download a calorie counting app on my phone. It calculated my recommended intake and what not. Apparently, I'm not eating nearly enough! How do you make sure you are reaching your caloric goals? It seems like I'd have to be eating all day long....I already eat three meals and two snacks every day.
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3kidz123
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I don't see why it's hard to reach calories....add cocunt oil to stuff or almond butter.

sheli.bean
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:37 PM
I don't know either, but, it's 330 in the afternoon, and I've only consumed 500 and it's telling me I need to get in another almost 2000.

Quoting 3kidz123:

I don't see why it's hard to reach calories....add cocunt oil to stuff or almond butter.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:42 PM

What are you eating that you only have 500 calories so far today? 

You should add healthy fats to things and that will automatically increase your calories. If you post a day's worth of food, maybe I can give you some ideas. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

3kidz123
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Yeah that's not ok...you need to eat more. You either don't eat or it's tons of veggies, throw meat in each meal. 1 cup of chicken is about 220 cal alone.

Quoting sheli.bean: I don't know either, but, it's 330 in the afternoon, and I've only consumed 500 and it's telling me I need to get in another almost 2000.
Quoting 3kidz123:

CherylAnne81
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:02 PM

I'm confused....your trying to lose weight, right? Are you super tall? Exersie a lot? I am eating 1200 calories a day plus what I burn after exersising. It's great motivation to exersise everyday. lol I eat a light breakfast, lunch, a couple very small calorie snacks and a good dinner arond 5-600 calories. And a glass of wine if there is "money" in the budget. lol 

I'm not sure why it would tell you to eat so many calories in order to lose weight. That is a crazy number...unless your tall or exersising a ton....at least I think so anyways. 

I use MyFitnessPal and RunKeeper to keep track of all ingoing/outgoing calories. 

CherylAnne81
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I just reread your post....I would actually go back in and tell the program you do not exersise. Sounds like that is why it's telling to eat that much. Then keep track of how many calories you burn and add that to your consumption....depending on your height/weight it will tell you between 1200-1400, and how fast you want to lose weight. 

I eat about 1400 calories per day...it's working for me but we are all different. 

sheli.bean
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:00 PM
I do exercise. Usually about 40 mins a day six days a week. It's telling me to eat so many calories because I'm almost 100lbs overweight.

Quoting CherylAnne81:

I just reread your post....I would actually go back in and tell the program you do not exersise. Sounds like that is why it's telling to eat that much. Then keep track of how many calories you burn and add that to your consumption....depending on your height/weight it will tell you between 1200-1400, and how fast you want to lose weight. 

I eat about 1400 calories per day...it's working for me but we are all different. 

sheli.bean
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:08 PM
Yeah, mostly veggies. Today, which was a typical days, I ate: an apple and banana for breakfast, a handful of almonds for a snack, a carrot, celery stock, a mini cucumber, a hand full of pea pods, a couple mushrooms, a couple Tbsp of hummus for lunch, I forgot a second snack, but I usually don't forget it. And steamed salmon and asparagus for supper.

Quoting mcginnisc:

You should add healthy fats to things and that will automatically increase your calories. If you post a day's worth of food, maybe I can give you some ideas. 

M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:09 PM
It sounds like you need more protein.

Quoting sheli.bean: Yeah, mostly veggies. Today, which was a typical days, I ate: an apple and banana for breakfast, a handful of almonds for a snack, a carrot, celery stock, a mini cucumber, a hand full of pea pods, a couple mushrooms, a couple Tbsp of hummus for lunch, I forgot a second snack, but I usually don't forget it. And steamed salmon and asparagus for supper.

Quoting mcginnisc:

CherylAnne81
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I agree with more protein. Even a 100 pds over weight you do not need that many calories. Several apps gave me between 1500 and 1700 for higher weight. I would really recommend checking out several other sites to find out how many calories you should be eating.

In the long run....you do need to eat more in order to keep losing weight. Not eating enough can cause you to not lose anything because your body is freaking out being starved. 

Good luck and don't give up!!! By the way...your pic looks great. Would NEVER have thought you where wanting to lose a 100 pds. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)