Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Walking instead of running **update with what I did today! (in red)

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:04 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

For the past couple of years, I will get into a running phase and will go for a few months.  I'm not naturally a runner and did improve but something will make me stop doing it......time, energy, weather, etc (basically any excuse I can give....hahaha).

When I was running, most of the time I had to really force myself to go.  Some days it wasn't too bad but I can never seem to get to that place that some of my friends were with running and say, "Oh my gosh, I love it now!"  I have been in this major slump of exercising so I decided to go for a walk instead.  I decided not to push myself but just go do something.  So, I did and I can say "Oh my gosh, I love it!"  I really do.  I feel like it is easier on my body and I am more willing to do it.  I went for a 20 minute walk this morning and plan to go for a 30 minute walk this afternoon or evening. 

I will mix it up as well....if I see stairs, I will go up and down 10-15 times.  If I see steps or a bench, I will add jump squats.  I will also do a plank off the bench or a concrete step.

I know I'm not using as much calories as running so I'm looking for ideas on what else I can do while I'm walking.

Well, I wanted to add "stuff" to my walk to increase the calories I use and to mix my walk up.  40 minutes and 309 calories later (determined by my heart rate monitor), this is what I accomplished:

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bry36
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I HATE running like with a passion its torture and my body just hates me when I run (I do have neck and back issues) the jarring part is just to hard on my neck but I love walking I try to keep my pace up the entire walk . I think you have a great idea by adding squats and steps ect . I also try to find hills but that's not hard since i live in a valley there are hills everywhere LOL .

M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM

There is a nice walk that I like to take at work...it is a little hilly. 

Do you take small handweights with you?

Quoting bry36:

I HATE running like with a passion its torture and my body just hates me when I run (I do have neck and back issues) the jarring part is just to hard on my neck but I love walking I try to keep my pace up the entire walk . I think you have a great idea by adding squats and steps ect . I also try to find hills but that's not hard since i live in a valley there are hills everywhere LOL .

workgirl
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I am not a runner myself:) I see that as too much opportunity for injuries, knee pain and the like lol . I will do a brisk walk which is one of my fave.

tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Walking is VERY, VERY good for you! I have lost most of my weight with just walking.
It is good for your muscles/heart/lungs plus easier on your body.
There are also walking dvd'sDVD's you can get for when the weather is not nice enough to walk. :)
bry36
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Not usually because I get annoyed with them in my hands but when I am on my treadmill I do 

Quoting M4LG5:

There is a nice walk that I like to take at work...it is a little hilly. 

Do you take small handweights with you?

Quoting bry36:

Liz132
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I like bicycling it burns more calories than walking but it's not as hard for me as running. I do love nice long walks though.

momlovestorun
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:47 PM

I love running but I always tell people find what you love. If you love it, you will do it and that is how progress is made. Its the little things we do daily that make a big impact.

MsStaceyu
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I love my walking dvds.  A 2 mile walk is approximately 30 minutes.  

Maybe some sort of weighted vest/belt would help burn more calories or hand weights while walking.

M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 7:02 PM

BUMP!

TheLadyCash
by Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I enjoy walking too. Don't care for the jarring of running.  Unfortunately, we don't live in a 'walk friendly' area. There is one main road in our subdivision that is paved, the side roads (that dead end at .23 mile) are sand. So it's up and down the main road, over and over. Bleh.  Otherwise, it's a 15 minute drive to the nearest track/nature trail, so not always doable.

I do Leslie Sansone's indoor walk videos, the elliptical, and dog walking some days. My fave workout is on the rower, that thing burns calories!   I think you've done great, working in other things into the walk.  Good for you, keep it up!

There is a saying, "Hike your own hike".  Meaning do what works best for YOU.  Well, in this case, "Walk your own workout!" :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN