Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Emotional health and gluten...?(piog)

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:27 AM
  • 12 Replies
Just a little background...
My son is 3.5 years old and since he was just over 1 he has had these terrible meltdowns. I have tried everything from ignoring, distractions, and punishing and nothing has help. He cannot control himself in the midst of these meltdowns. He goes into a whole different zone. He used to have a lot trouble with constipation and sometimes he will complain of a stomach ache.

Now...
I have done a lot of research on different things because the rage he sometimes has in the meltdowns are just plain over the top. He is super intense in pretty much every emotion but most especially when he is mad.

So...
Has anyone had an experience or know if gluten has had this effect on a child? As I said I have read a lot about this and I feel like this may be my next step. 2 years of this is enough and tells me it not "just a phase." He has an appt on July 8th to talk to the doctor about this. I want to get it under control because he starts preschool 2 days a week in September.
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:18 AM

My family won't let me have gluten-heavy foods for this very reason.  My moods turn very low/foul if I have anything like that.  I can handle some, like a cookie or a bite of cake, but a sandwich will turn me into a raving bitch.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Have you had his blood sugar tested? He may have type 1 diabetes.

fatcat0908
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I'm on a gluten free diet, and I really don't know if it has had any emotional effect on me, but it has caused me to be a bit backed up. Not the first diet approach I would suggest for someone who deals with frequent constipation. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I'm actually more "regular" now than when I was eating foods with gluten.  I think regularity has to do with what I use in place off the grain foods...I eat a LOT more veggies and use coconut flour for baked goods.  One coconut flour pancake/waffle/muffin/etc. a day is all it takes.

Quoting fatcat0908:

I'm on a gluten free diet, and I really don't know if it has had any emotional effect on me, but it has caused me to be a bit backed up. Not the first diet approach I would suggest for someone who deals with frequent constipation. 

sahm111
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Thanks ladies! The articles are very interesting.I am going to have them do blood work when I take him on the 8th.
sahm111
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:18 PM
He does have a great aunt and a 2nd cousin with type 1 diabetes. He also eats all the time and drinks a lot of water, but he doesn't pee a lot or anything.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I'm a diabetic, and my ONLY symptom was constant fatigue.  Wouldn't hurt to have him tested...high or low blood sugars can cause mood swings, yes.

Quoting sahm111: He does have a great aunt and a 2nd cousin with type 1 diabetes. He also eats all the time and drinks a lot of water, but he doesn't pee a lot or anything.
Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

sahm111
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Are you type 1 or 2?

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm a diabetic, and my ONLY symptom was constant fatigue.  Wouldn't hurt to have him tested...high or low blood sugars can cause mood swings, yes.

Quoting sahm111: He does have a great aunt and a 2nd cousin with type 1 diabetes. He also eats all the time and drinks a lot of water, but he doesn't pee a lot or anything.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I'm an insulin dependent Type 2.  My mother is a Type 1.  I've lived with diabetes my whole life in one way or another.

Quoting sahm111: Are you type 1 or 2?
Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)