Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

keeping track of calories without labels

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM
  • 9 Replies

How do you keep good track of the calories you are consuming when most of the foods you eat don't have nutrition labels? I make almost all my meals from scratch and I find it to be very difficult to figure out how many calories I'm eating a day.

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
youllneverknow
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:14 PM
A food scale and inputting by weight
Mrseoc
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I figure it out based on prior knowledge.  I don't really track my calories anymore, but i still know how many calories is in something most of the time. I like to round up.. For example... a turkey burger: a bun is about 120 calories, the burger itself is about 70-100 calories. A piece of cheese is 80, a small smear of mayo is about 50, and the lettuce and tomato are free. So a turkey burger with cheese would be about 380 -420 calories.

If you are not familiar with how many calories are in certain things try using the food pyramid website. There used to be a "my daily plate" which had basically every food you can imagine on a data base that had all the nutrition facts to it and everything. I used it when i was in school for nutrition. But the food pyramid site probably has something similar.  http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM

If you make them from scratch- you can figure out each seperate thing-add it all together and divide it by how many servings you get...each ingrediant should have calories listed on it

after awhile you just kinda know how much is in stuff.

ripemango
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 3:12 PM

you could probably google and find something similar to this but when i used myfitnesspal they had a place to put in your own recipes. so you'd list each ingredient, its quantity, and then state the amount of servings. it'd tell you the calories, fat, etc for each serving for your homemade recipes.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Rota
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Your body is not like a bank. Calories in does not equal calories out. If you want to lose weight, counting calories does not work. Your body is a chemistry lab- the types of foods that you eat are way more important than the calories you count. For example: you could eat three pieces of apple pie and get your calorie count under what you need, but you will gain weight with that type of food.

so many people have the mistaken notion of avoiding fats as they think that fat causes you to be fat. That is so wrong and so outdated but many people still believe that. When you eat the right types of foods, you do not need to count calories. By incorporating good fats with each meal and eliminating starchy carbs, you will lose weight. The good fats are : avocado, nuts and nut oils, olive oil, coconut oil, organic butter.

Do not eat a lot of fruit, drink fruit juices or soda- diet or regular. No one needs milk. All you need to drink is water.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:47 PM

myfitnesspal will do it if you want to take all the time to enter it in.  I don't have the time nor patience.  I stick with whole foods for the most part and have a good idea in my head what the calorie count is, if I cared.  I'm with Rota...the types of food are more important than the number of calories.

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Rota:

Your body is not like a bank. Calories in does not equal calories out. If you want to lose weight, counting calories does not work. Your body is a chemistry lab- the types of foods that you eat are way more important than the calories you count. For example: you could eat three pieces of apple pie and get your calorie count under what you need, but you will gain weight with that type of food.

so many people have the mistaken notion of avoiding fats as they think that fat causes you to be fat. That is so wrong and so outdated but many people still believe that. When you eat the right types of foods, you do not need to count calories. By incorporating good fats with each meal and eliminating starchy carbs, you will lose weight. The good fats are : avocado, nuts and nut oils, olive oil, coconut oil, organic butter.

Do not eat a lot of fruit, drink fruit juices or soda- diet or regular. No one needs milk. All you need to drink is water.

Al I'm going to say is that yes counting does work- I've lost 85 lbs doing it. Yes, I stll eat some junk food too. 

I will say that better foods are better for you- obviously

counting works for me...eating clean works for you...I think we all have to find something we can stick to and try to eat better foods -no matter which method we choose

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:58 PM

These ladies have the right ideas.  Good luck!

gracie0221
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:38 AM

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

If you make them from scratch- you can figure out each seperate thing-add it all together and divide it by how many servings you get...each ingrediant should have calories listed on it

after awhile you just kinda know how much is in stuff.

I do the same

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)