Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

A little defeat, a little progress and maybe something in between

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:47 PM
  • 2 Replies
It's been a bit since I've posted in here but no worries, I'm still on my grind with working out except I've been sooooo lazy in June. I came down with "The Twins" and periorbital cellulitis AGAIN In early June. (Fyi: the twins were abscesses on my face that was also double MRSA--I have recurrent abscesses on my face, the twins out did the previous ones). ANYWAY, no one would listen to me when I said I needed to be admitted or given IV antibiotics via outpatient. Not one!

I ended up going 4-5 days with none of the antibiotics working (as I told each doctor they wouldn't work). Thus, the infection continued to spread and being an (almost) paramedic-graduate in 32 days!) I can easily recognize the signs of sepsis with my vital signs and how I was feeling. I got really sick the last two days, super flu-like symptoms. I was having to go back and forth to the ER every 8 hours for shots of antibiotics that didn't help. Each time my pulse was super high and my blood pressure, very low. They finally admitted me after I spoke up about my medical training and told them if I wasn't septic, I will be within hours and they saw my eye wasn't getting better. Blood cultures came back as positive---i.e. I was septic!

I stay in the hospital for 3 days and from then to discharge, I still felt like crapola. It wasn't until the end of June that I actually started feeling like myself. So, I didn't go to the gym like I should, just made a guest appearance once in a while. Super slacking.

Well, I've been balls to the wall again because I have to take that Physical Agility Test (do you ladies remember that?? The last time I failed?) on July 19th or August 11th (not sure since I have to work a 24 hour shift on the 19th). I just don't feel ready!!

I have to run a mile and a half in 15 minutes but not for the test. If I get into the fire academy, I'll have to run that at some point. Chief did say that I won't get kicked out or deduction of points if I can't finish it in 15 minutes but I have to finish it.

There is the problem:

1. I HATE running!! I'm not good at it and never have been.

2. My one mile time was always 15 minutes and never could run a mile and a half straight anyways.

So, the trainer and I have started working on it. I'm still a slow work in progress, though.

In other crappy news, I've gained 5lbs this past week because I have eaten like shit, my fault but I'm irritated in myself! 123 to 128 :((( hopefully it's not actual weight that will stick.

But the semi good news:

I started 2 weeks ago running on the treadmill (gotta get the endurance up for the road) and I thought I ran a 15+ minute mile. I finished in 14:40 and that's with walking a few minutes.

Then, last week I ran a 13:45. A minute off??! What? My trainer is in love with running and honestly, as an amazing of a trainer he is, running is what he's exceptional at training so I hold onto his every word. Lol not that he isn't a great trainer because he is. If it wasn't for him, I would still be 50lbs heavier with no tone!!

So, he's been having me do a 4.0 incline at a slow jogging pace; which kind of freaked me out at first bc I have exercise induced asthma and uphill kills my breathing. Well, I did it and I took my time down to 13:01!! 2 minutes off my normal time in 2 weeks isn't too shabby. He wants me to do incline every other day but not speedwork just yet. This may be doable.

I may not make 15 mins for a mile and a half but at this rate, I'll be able to run the full mile and a half :) at a semi decent time. I'm going to try my best. My other main focus is getting my hose hoist down and push ups and keep dragging my tire (simulates dragging a 167lb dummy). The hoist is my main worry because it's 6 stories, your hands are upside down with thick gloves on. It's only 20-25lbs but I'm still having issues with pulldown at 30lbs. I know part of it is mental.

The last bit of concerning news:

I finally found doctors who will listen to me about this MRSA issue. A major breakthrough happened when one doctor actually did a physical exam on my belly. He found my spleen is enlarged. Yay!! Glad we know it's definitely an immune issue but not happy about the enlarged spleen. It could very well make me fail my medical physical I have to get to enter Fire Academy :((

I'm sorry this is so long. I've been holding that in for a while. Lol
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Jul. 2, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow you are a warrior lady... been through so much and still kicking. Hope you recover quickly. Just keep working on that run. I take my written and PT test for Delaware on July 19. Just stay focused on staying healthy and kicking ass... an taking names. You got this!
nurse1997
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:32 PM

GOOD LUCK

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN