Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How do you stay motivated?

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:48 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm thinking about starting to diet again (a theoretically work out) but what always happened is that I'm doing good for three or four weeks and then I'll plateau and not lose anything or even gain back a couple pounds.  After a couple weeks I give up, because being hungry is fine when I'm seeing progress but sucks when it's not doing anything.   How do you keep going and *hopefully* start losing weight again?  

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Hiker11
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I'll be honest with you. If you are hungry then you are doing it wrong. I don't diet. I made a lifestyle change. I eat 4-6 meals a day of healthy foods. I allow myself cheat days but those are getting fewer and farther in between because of the way they make me fill afterwards.
sheli.bean
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:36 PM
I agree with PP. I'm very rarely hungry! I eat tons, but all clean and healthy. Sure, we all have setbacks, but, you shouldn't be on a "diet". And you definitely shouldn't be letting yourself getting hungry! GL :)
mkmb129
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:30 AM
I don't count calories. I'm mindful of what I'm eating, how much I should be consuming, and how much I'm burning. I get too obsessive. I don't completely cut out anything, but naturally eat little junk when I'm working out regularly. It makes me feel gross.

I don't let bad choices ruin my day, either. So you ate a snickers. You can either move on and keep on keeping on, or eat more crap because you feel bad-- but choice b makes no sense to me. Crap makes me feel bad physically, and I'm tired of feeling crappy!

Also if I'm feeling uneasy about a weigh in, I don't weigh in. I keep on going, and skip the scale for a week or two. Makes a world of difference.

I also am super competitive. So I set monthly goals, increasing from the previous month's. Trying to beat myself is FUN! I track my miles walked and run with runkeeper and it shows last month vs this month. And I can set goals in the app. So much of this is mental. Your body can do it, it's your mind wth the issues (general "your").

All of that to say, I am my motivation. Time will pass anyway, so don't waste it. Be the person who falls down and gets up. Don't stay down. Every good choice is a step in the right direction. One good meal won't make you thin, and one bad meal won't make you heavy. So shake it off. Get into the mindset that this isn't temporary. Everyone, fat and thin, need to eat healthy foods and be active. if you don't have a stopping point, you won't stop.

You can do it. Tell yourself that, all day long if need be. Soon you'll believe it. You choose for you, and no one else.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:56 AM

It's a lifestyle change...don't look at it as a diet.  Make permanent changes.  You can do this!

.Peaches.
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I'm not sure what made it 'stick' for me this time around, except that I was at my heaviest weight ever and was wearing a size too small pants because I refused to move up to the next size.

For me, something that helped was not paying any attention to the scale for the first 3 to 4 months. I focused way more on what I was eating and my exercise routine, just getting into the swing of it. And paying attention to how I felt in the beginning versus how I LOOKED. 7 months, 50 pounds, and 4 sizes later, I'm still going strong! Essentially, breaking up with the scale was a major win for me- my top focus is still how I feel, my second focus is how I look (now that I've lost and kept off a significant amount), THIRD is what the scale says. I weigh myself once every couple of months.

I saw a quote thingy on Pinterest that I used a lot during this journey, and that is "Ohe good meal doesn't make you skinny, and one bad meal doesn't make you fat." As a result of that, I never punished myself or mad myself feel bad, not once, during this entire journey to health. If I had a cheat moment or a cheat day (or week...it's happened), I enjoyed it. I never viewed it as 'falling off the wagon', so I didn't have the guilt/shame/failed feeling associated with it.

I ate great foods. I chose to eat clean, and I was able to do that by finding recipes for foods that I like to eat and enjoy cooking. Healthy doesn't have to be boring...I eat delicious food and I'm satisfied without feeling stuffed and gross. Since I chose to eat clean, I allowed myself two things that I didn't have to give up: cheese and ice cream lol.

Right now, I'm the smallest I've been since having kids 8 years ago. I feel amazing, I look great, and I feel alive, refreshed, and energized. I have Lupus and have come off of ALL of my meds, no longer snore, and my arthritis rarely bothers me. I'm able to run errands without getting tired, and run around with my kids. I can shop in REGULAR stores, not the plus size ones...and that finally goes for bras too! All those reasons and more are my motivation to keep going.

SparklyCoffee
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 8:34 PM
I log my food but really it's to see macros, not for calories.

I keep at it because I feel better, I look better and I love seeing my body change and do things I couldn't do the week before.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN