Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Serious Issues here...

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:59 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have some kind of serious issues staying or even getting motivated. Trying to change my lifestyle is beginning to feel impossible, like loosing weight is just a pipe dream. I have lost some weight, but most of that has been because of going swimming and whatnot this summer. I know as soon as it gets too cold to go swimming I am going to fall into bad habits.

I eat too much, drink way too much soda, I am still smoking even though I keep telling myself I want to quit...

I make promises to myself about loosing weight, changing things, and it never happens. Even right now as I am writing this I feel apathetic toward the entire idea of working out, loosing weight, smoking.....

I just don't know how to kick start that little part of my brain that says "this is what you need to do, do it"

Help!!!!!
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bellygirl
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:57 AM
4 moms liked this

Just try to do one thing at a time.  For example, stop drinking soda and make that your ONLY focus until you feel confident that you've reached that goal.  The thought of trying to do all of those things at once overwhelms me.  I can pretty much guarentee you that if you stop drinking soda, you're going to lose weight without doing anything else  Soda is so bad.  One thing at at time.  Best wishes!

XandersMommy10
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:45 AM
linz04060913
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Baby steps. It's not about making huge changes at once. Cut one habit, stop buying one thing and replace it with something healthy.

I started making changes 3 years ago. It wasn't until March 2012 that I cut diet cokes, and then November 2012 when I stopped smoking. 

You CAN do this!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 21, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Hugs mama!  Make a list of all the reasons why you want to lose weight and get healthy.  Take that list with you throughout the day and remind yourself of all those reasons.  Take things one day at a time...focus on today and today only.  Hugs!

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:02 AM
7 moms liked this

I'm going to level with you. 

You aren't ready. *shrugs*

I'm not saying that to be discouraging, in fact, it's quite the opposite. You just flat out aren't ready to start your journey. If you were, you wouldn't feel apathy. That doesn't mean you shouldn't make little changes, (if I were you I'd tackle the smoking before you do anything else, as you'll likely gain a few pounds when you quit), but you aren't ready for a weight loss journey. It takes an a-ha, light bulb, smack in the forehead moment. Everyone has moments when they feel down about themselves, think they are fat, or wish they were thinner. The difference between those moments and an "a-ha" moment is the instant and sudden determination to not be that way anymore. When you are ready, you feel it. When you are ready you don't say you'll start tomorrow, or the next day, or Monday, or the 1st of the month, or January 1st, you start RIGHT NOW. You aren't there. You're not ready. If you try to start now, with your current mind set, you will fail. Sad, but true. You may start 20 more times, and fail 20 more times, because you aren't ready yet. 

When you DO have your moment, when the lightning strikes you, and you find that drive and determination within yourself, we'll be here. Until then, no one here can help you.  Good luck. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:27 AM

PERFECTLY said!  This is how I feel when people ask me how I've lost my weight, how I've regained health and then when I tell them they say, "Oh, I couldn't do that...I love my pasta and bread and sweets too much."

May I steal this to share with people?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I'm not saying that to be discouraging, in fact, it's quite the opposite. You just flat out aren't ready to start your journey. If you were, you wouldn't feel apathy. That doesn't mean you shouldn't make little changes, (if I were you I'd tackle the smoking before you do anything else, as you'll likely gain a few pounds when you quit), but you aren't ready for a weight loss journey. It takes an a-ha, light bulb, smack in the forehead moment. Everyone has moments when they feel down about themselves, think they are fat, or wish they were thinner. The difference between those moments and an "a-ha" moment is the instant and sudden determination to not be that way anymore. When you are ready, you feel it. When you are ready you don't start tomorrow, or the next day, or Monday, or the 1st of the month, or January 1st, you start RIGHT NOW. You aren't there. You're not ready. If you try to start now, with your current mind set, you will fail. Sad, but true. And you may start 20 more times, and fail 20 more times. 

When you DO have your moment. When the lightning strikes you, and you find that drive and determination within yourself, we'll be here. Until then, no one here can help you.  Good luck. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely Rhonda!

Quoting michiganmom116:

PERFECTLY said!  This is how I feel when people ask me how I've lost my weight, how I've regained health and then when I tell them they say, "Oh, I couldn't do that...I love my pasta and bread and sweets too much."

May I steal this to share with people?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I'm not saying that to be discouraging, in fact, it's quite the opposite. You just flat out aren't ready to start your journey. If you were, you wouldn't feel apathy. That doesn't mean you shouldn't make little changes, (if I were you I'd tackle the smoking before you do anything else, as you'll likely gain a few pounds when you quit), but you aren't ready for a weight loss journey. It takes an a-ha, light bulb, smack in the forehead moment. Everyone has moments when they feel down about themselves, think they are fat, or wish they were thinner. The difference between those moments and an "a-ha" moment is the instant and sudden determination to not be that way anymore. When you are ready, you feel it. When you are ready you don't start tomorrow, or the next day, or Monday, or the 1st of the month, or January 1st, you start RIGHT NOW. You aren't there. You're not ready. If you try to start now, with your current mind set, you will fail. Sad, but true. And you may start 20 more times, and fail 20 more times. 

When you DO have your moment. When the lightning strikes you, and you find that drive and determination within yourself, we'll be here. Until then, no one here can help you.  Good luck. 

Firespirit13
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:09 AM
This is so true when you are ready to start this journey you will not feel all these things you will just be ready to begin NOW!  Mine was when it took a truck scale to tell me I weighed 450 lbs. then it came again when i got complacant about having gotten down around 300 and my kids were watching me eat and i realized i couldnt be the bad example that leads them down the overweight road i had taken so that is what made my brain switch on and say NO more. You will get there and small changes is the best way to start that. Once you see the impact of small changes it just might inspire you to keep making those small changes until you dont realized everything has changed :) good luck
Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I'm not saying that to be discouraging, in fact, it's quite the opposite. You just flat out aren't ready to start your journey. If you were, you wouldn't feel apathy. That doesn't mean you shouldn't make little changes, (if I were you I'd tackle the smoking before you do anything else, as you'll likely gain a few pounds when you quit), but you aren't ready for a weight loss journey. It takes an a-ha, light bulb, smack in the forehead moment. Everyone has moments when they feel down about themselves, think they are fat, or wish they were thinner. The difference between those moments and an "a-ha" moment is the instant and sudden determination to not be that way anymore. When you are ready, you feel it. When you are ready you don't say you'll start tomorrow, or the next day, or Monday, or the 1st of the month, or January 1st, you start RIGHT NOW. You aren't there. You're not ready. If you try to start now, with your current mind set, you will fail. Sad, but true. You may start 20 more times, and fail 20 more times, because you aren't ready yet. 

When you DO have your moment, when the lightning strikes you, and you find that drive and determination within yourself, we'll be here. Until then, no one here can help you.  Good luck. 

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:09 AM

They are right. many of us have been through that whole wanting to lose it -but not REALLY wanting to do the work thing.  When it finally hits you though, You'll KNOW because it will be this mentality of I AM going to do this- and NOTHING and NO ONE will stop me.  Until you get there...you probably won't get very far- or stick with it very long.  Sadly, we cannot make you get to that moment.  That is ALL you.

When you get there, start with one thing at a time. Quit smoking, start drinking water...find work outs you like do things you can build on (more water, different work outs or more time doing it, changing out a bad food for a good one...) those small changes add up- but don't do too much too soon. Take it one day at a time, remember we all falter-the trick is, to get up- let it go and keep going.  You can do this, but first you have to get ready mentally

kidslovemom
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:06 AM

As a person struggling to lose weight most of my adult life, I was successful this time because I had success right in the beginning with weight watchers and then felt confident and eager to go with more.  I agree it doesn't work (for me) when I try to go gangbusters...."I'm only going to eat plain chicken breast and plain veggies for now on until I lose 30 pounds!" did not work for me more than a day.  When you start with a small change and are successful in making that change and maybe your clothes feel a little looser or you see a few numbers drop from the scale, then you may decide to make another small change.  The fact you're thinking about it is step one.  Sometimes I thought about it for quite awhile before I did it.  Last summer I was thinking about it...looking at myself and not liking what I saw or how I felt.  Over the summer I made small changes but I knew I wanted to start "in September".  I know that sounds bogus but I started to look into gyms and make a plan in my head.  I hate going to a gym and I'm cheap, so I didn't do that but we had WW at work and I joined that.  All the stars were aligned and I worked in "healthful and thoughtful eating" at most meals and continued to see change.  You know your swimming will come to end, start making an alternative plan now.  It's planning, it's goal setting but it's also living with what you can change at the moment.  You can do it.  You are doing step one now.  Now make a plan for step two and implement it.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN