Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Desperately needing to lose weight...HELP

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'm 25 years old and have been overweight all my life. I had 4 children in 4 years, all delivered by c section. My last child was born in October.

I'm not sure how much I weigh now...but I'm sure it's close to 300lbs..and I'm only 5'2". I desperately need to lose weight. I have back problems. I get out of breath incredibly easy. I can't run around and play with my kids like I want to. All together, I've gained roughly 100 lbs from having my children.

I need advice...tips..etc. on how to lose the weight. I know...water, exercise and healthy eating...but I don't even know where to begin. I am a junk food addict. I eat all the time..when I'm bored, when I'm upset, when I'm mad. I eat when I'm not hungry. I am addicted to diet Pepsi and can literally drink 2 2 liters a day. I hardly exercise besides chasing around the kids. I hate fruits. I can only stand a few veggies.

I want to lose 150lbs total...and I need help. Just if you can, give me your best tips when it comes to losing weight. I want to get healthy for not only myself, but for my kids and husband too. I don't wanna leave them early because of my weight. Thanks
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:15 PM
You answered yourself in your post, hun. It's not going to be easy, but you need to change your eating and lifestyle habits. The most we can really do is support you in that journey...and we're all happy to do so!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashthecat
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Myfitnesspal.com. I started using it (and exercising) one month ago. I've already lost 12.2 lbs. 

chasinrainbows
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:20 PM
You need to take baby steps to a healthier life. First thing...cut out ALL soda. Replace it with water. I buy the all natural flavor packets from Walmart to change it up.

Start taking a walk after you eat.
Cut out sugar, breads, and pastas.

Eat to live...not live to eat.
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Find  a way of eaating that you can stick with, and works for you. For me that is counting calories - I still get *some* junk, but it has to fit in my day and I try to eat better over all. Others eat clean, or paleo or weight atchers or whatever.

start replacing soda with water.  maybe cut out one bottle at first then go for the rest

find some work outs you like and get moving. Starting with walks is fine.  

Make little goals you can reach that do not involve the scale (like drinking so much water, moving so many min. a day or so many days a week, trying a new veggie or adding more fruit...) things you can build on as you go. Those things can help you stay motivated.

Don't weigh too often and remember, this will take time. NEVER give up 

we are here for you :)

thefiregoddess
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I'll tell you what I paid thousands to learn from medical professionals.

Protein first, veggies second, dairy third and starches last if at all.
Eat five smaller meals a day so you don't feel deprived and don't worry about occasionally having a glass of wine or a treat.

Don't tell yourself I can't have it. Tell yourself I can have it but I don't want it. Write down everything you eat or drink. Throw all garbage foods out of the house. If anyone is going to eat it, they cannot do so in your house or in your presence.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:09 AM

Welcome to the group!  These ladies have some great advice...good luck!

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 22, 2014 at 6:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Are you really desperate? Are you really ready to commit and do the work? I'm seeing a lot of "BUT" in your original post. I want to, BUT!  It's a lot of  "but I love junk food", "but I love pepsi",  "but I hate fruits and veggies". "BUT" isn't going to work. For lack of a more delicate term, you're going to have to suck it up, buttercup.

Water, clean eating and exercise. There is no secret or tip that anyone can really give you outside of those key elements. It's going to be a long process, and it's going to take a lot of time.

At your height and weight, and in the physical condition you describe, I think you need 2 things: A visit to your doctor and a personal trainer. Before you begin any kind of exercise I think you need to be cleared by your doctor to make sure you don't stress your cardiac system too much to soon. You need to be cleared to exercise. 

2nd, you NEED a personal trainer. Find an inexpensive gym, and make an appointment. You are going to need someone to be accountable to, who will make you a diet and exercise program on paper, and will motivate you when you need it. We're all just sitting on the other side of the computer, I think you need someone up in your face. 

mkmb129
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:49 AM
2 moms liked this
Recognizing that your emotions dictate what you eat is big. Now when you're mad eating STOP! Ask yourself WHY you're doing that. What does it accomplish? Does it help? Chances are it doesn't, and might make you feel bad after the initial high. A lot of eating problems are mental. Try to tackle the why. Be aware of what you're eating and what your mood is at the time, and make an effort to stop the emotional and mindless eating. Second big thing is take short walks, increasing distance as you can. Slow and steady. Drink more water and less soda until you're soda free.

You are in luck with the veggies thing, because tastes are LEARNED! You can learn to love veggies, isn't that great?! So starting eating them! Pay attention to portion sizes. I'm not a strict calorie counter, but sometimes when you are where you are writing everything down for a day or so that goes into your mouth and figuring the damage is a real eye opener. Many don't realize just how many calories they're taking in. To maintain your weight at your height, it's likely a hefty amount.

Knowledge is power. Know what you're putting into your body, know why. Fuel or for no good reason? And get moving!
Liz132
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

You said you eat when you are upset or mad. Next time you feel that way go for a walk instead. It's hard to stop a bad habit but it's easier to replace it with a healthy one. You don't have to change everything at once but you need to start with something. You see your problems you know what you need to change but you have to want to change them.

Firespirit13
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I wanted to loose and get healthy for my kids as well but you have to focus on YOU.  Loosing weight is all about you focusing on you and taking time to love yourself.  When it comes to food i have learned to "love myself with food"'  I say that because so many people starting a weight loss journey (and that is what it is a journey ) feel they have to eat boiled veggies and fish and that seems like the main stream TV idea of weight loss food but if you hate your food you arent going to eat it.  The best thing i can say is start trying as many new fruits and veggies as you can cooked in different ways.  Along with this journey you also have to train your brain and your body.  Your brain has to be trained not to crave those things like junk food and pepsi that you know is bad for you but you eat it anyway.  I hate the term all things in moderation because for people who are needing to loose weight that is simply untrue.  You have to learn to like veggies and fruits and sometimes that takes forcing yourself to eat them and saying to your self this is good.  It took me a while to learn to like fruits and veggies but now I LOVE them and can make a banana my entire meal.  Portion control is also very important in our house we got rid of all the 13 inch dinner plates and started using salad and bread plates.  I have 2 toddlers also and I now look at their portions and realize mine should be no bigger than theirs.  If we make sandwiches half a sandwich is the portion i get and so do they (my hubby joined this as well and has lost 85 lbs).  And the last big thing i can say for me that has helped that you can do at home is check out the FDA website on food additives start eliminating those one by one in your diet. it will not only help you loose weight and be healthier but it helped my childrens behavior immensely when they were completely taken off chemical additives.   Which of course the Pepsi is the first to go when it comes to that list and really diet Pepsi will only help you to gain weight not loose.    Remember you didnt gain it overnight so be patient and let it come off slow because the more you obsess over it the less you loose. I wish you all the best on your journey and i hope you can find a plan that helps you reach your goals.   "Its not hard its just new"  my favorite motivational saying that has helped me on this path. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN