Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Extra protein?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:10 PM
  • 13 Replies

Okay - So, I'm trying to build MORE MUSCLE! 

I am currently doing a 5 day split, with two days dedicated to the same specific parts.  I also do cardio, and not really concerned with losing too much more weight.

I'm an ectomorph - I don't have a HRM so I don't know how many calories I burn, I don't count calories - I just eat as clean as possible.  Right now I'm eating about 6 times a day (ALL THE TIME).  I try to include protein in everything I eat, somehow. 

I spoke to my trainer and the gym nutritionalist and they both pointed me to a wall of pills and powders. 

I'm looking for something with no soy, no dairy. 

Do I just eat more eggs/chicken/etc?  Another serving? IDK

Do I try a protein powder?  What kind? 

I've spoken to a few people and they are referring me to PerfectFit protein, or Isagenix Isalean. 

So, I'm coming here.  Help!

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM
I've found some vegan protien powder at the health food store, but it seemed like it was high in sugar content which turned me off. I'd just rather eat a protein than drink it, but I too need more protein than I'm getting apparently.
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: I've found some vegan protien powder at the health food store, but it seemed like it was high in sugar content which turned me off. I'd just rather eat a protein than drink it, but I too need more protein than I'm getting apparently.

I'm seeing lots of sugars and JUNK in the stuff I'm looking at, too.  Which would mean I'd be messing up how I'm eating now.  And then I'd be needing to lose weight, and still not seeing any growth.

Frustrating.

mommylife08
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Thats why I LOVE my herbalife shakes! 24g protein in one yummy shake!
trish2tew
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:08 PM

If you wouldn't have said no dairy, I'd have said greek yogurt.

Bump for better answers!

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mommylife08: Thats why I LOVE my herbalife shakes! 24g protein in one yummy shake!

Herbalife is soy-based isn't it?  And the protein isn't necessarily a clean protein with the necessary BCAAs that are vital to the development of muscles. 

I'm glad you like your shakes though.

mommylife08
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Mobile Photo

Thats why they have the 24 line. "Nutrition for the 24hr athlete". Helps with gaining muscle. The rebuild strength has been out of stock about a month now. It has to he made 100% pure. Not 80. Not 99. 100%.
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Fructose and soy protein isolate. No thanks, I don't eat soy and it's full of sugar.

Quoting mommylife08:

Mobile Photo

Thats why they have the 24 line. "Nutrition for the 24hr athlete". Helps with gaining muscle. The rebuild strength has been out of stock about a month now. It has to he made 100% pure. Not 80. Not 99. 100%.
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:29 PM
What about hummus or a black bean dip that you could spread on a sandwich or something to add a little more in?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Djinn83
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:14 PM

How long have you been training? If you've been at it awhile, then you will need to eat a calorie surplus to build new muscle. Tracking your calories and expenditure is essential for gaining muscle, especially for us women. 

You would be hard pressed to find a good protein that is soy and dairy free. Maybe the slow release casein protein? Bcaas (amino acids) will help with muscle growth as well. And of course creatine, a much under utilized product by women. If you want to build muscle, creatine will get you there.

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Since I don't track calories now (no HRM so no way to figure calories burned) - would you recommend increasing portions in a meal/snack?? Increase protein in those portions...

Or, should I just buy an HRM and start counting?

I feel dumb - there should be a book...

Quoting Djinn83:

How long have you been training? If you've been at it awhile, then you will need to eat a calorie surplus to build new muscle. Tracking your calories and expenditure is essential for gaining muscle, especially for us women. 

You would be hard pressed to find a good protein that is soy and dairy free. Maybe the slow release casein protein? Bcaas (amino acids) will help with muscle growth as well. And of course creatine, a much under utilized product by women. If you want to build muscle, creatine will get you there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)