Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Retrain Your Eyes

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:33 AM
  • 56 Replies

Today is all about retraining your eyes and portion control.
How much you eat is just as important as what you eat.

• 25% of your plate should be Lean Protein
  • 25% of your plate should be Starches/ Whole Grains (about the size of your fist)
  • 50% of your plate should be Non-Starchy Vegtables/Fruit (mostly whole)

Here are a few tips to understanding healthy serving sizes. The following examples are equivalent to one healthy serving size.

• Vegetables or fruit is about the size of your fist.
  • Pasta is about the size of one scoop of ice cream.
  • Meat, fish, or poultry is the size of a deck of cards or the size of your palm (minus the fingers).
  • Snacks such as pretzels and chips is about the size of a cupped handful.
  • Apple is the size of a baseball.
  • Potato is the size of a computer mouse.
  • Bagel is the size of a hockey puck.
  • Pancake is the size of a compact disc.
  • Steamed rice is the size of a cupcake wrapper.
  • Cheese is the size of a pair of dice or the size of your whole thumb (from the tip to the base).

Tip: Charting your food intake in a food journal or online site is a good way to track your calories and meals. It is a very effective tool in weight loss.

Do you portion your food?

What does your plate at meal time look like?

Do you use a food journal?

writing

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delmobaby
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM
Still working on keeping my portions right. Do sometimes have a cheat meal with the kids, though a smaller portion than what they may eat.
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I already have the proportions as suggested. I haven't mastered the recommended portion sizes though. A dietitian had a display and I was stunned at how small the portions were.

Mommy_Natural
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:58 AM
I count calories but portion control is still a struggle for me! I am good with protein, but I know I need to eat less carbs/breads and more vegetables.
othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I am not very good about this, but am working on it. I have kept a food journal in the past and it is helpful

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I try without actually measuring. I do use a food journal most days.

Moms_Angels1960
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I workl school food service so I know all about portion control. Sometimes, though I have to admit something looks or tastes so good I go over board. Thanks

swdesigns
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Thanks for the portion / size reminder.  I've kept a food journal before and I found it very helpful to see what and when I was eating. 

frankiesma530
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I don't know if you should say pasta should be the same as one scoop of ice cream. You don't know my life, you don't know what I've been through.

I do portion my plates though, but usually just have 25% chicken and lots of veggies. I've been meaning to look up some healthy alternatives for some of the things I like to eat. I do journal, though.

bopeeps_mom
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I'm not that great at potion control but getting better with it. I usually have more meat and veggies than starches on my plate and I do keep a food journal ir helps to know where my calories come from.

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM
We eat more fruits and veggies than anything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)