Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is this not working? PLEASE help me, before I quit!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:20 AM
  • 34 Replies

I cannot express how frustrated I am right now. I have been part of a transformation class since it started 5 weeks ago. I try to do everything recommend as closely as possible. I go to 3 classes a week (weight training). I do the 1 hour of cardio 3 more days. I eat the 6 meals at the recommended calories (which is way more than I am used to). One cheat day (I barely cheat). I was not losing weight; OK this is how it works. Lots of people don’t see it immediately; I can keep faith with the program. My cloths fit the same, still I am hanging on. I am supposed to be building muscles right? I went to Complete Nutrition for the scale thing yesterday that measures you body stats and metabolic age . First visit was 7/7. Now I have gained weight! Gotten 3 years older! And my muscle mass is exactly the same! My water is lower than it was on the 7th even though I drank 8 Bottles of water (16 cups) on the day of the test. My visceral fat rating (whatever that is) went up one point. Please help me. What the hell am I doing wrong? Maybe this is the wrong program for me. Cause for these type of results, I could quit neglecting my family 6 days a week.

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Djinn83
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM

My first thought always go to underestimating calories. How are you tracking your calories? Are you guesstimating or weighing your food? 

Drinking 8 bottles of water quickly is not going to hydrate you. Your body can only absorb so much water within a given time period, the rest will be flush out. Try to hydrate consistently. 

How much weight have you gained? All that water, plus inflammation from working out 6 days a week will make you weigh in heavier. 

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM

are you close to the size you want to be or do you have a lot to lose?

how many calories do they have you eating?

is this all new to you -or were you working out before?

bry36
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Personally I think the one fit you need to eat this many times and this amount of cals is not a one stop shop for all woman .I tried for months with the 6 times a day and my recommended cals and nothing not 1 pound or 1 inch lost and got really frustrated gave up and quit .Ended up going to a nutritionist/dietitian and we started out with recommended cals which I think was 1700-ish at the time and I stayed true to that recorded everything and nope no weight lost after 1 month then we lowered it to 1600 and still same resultslowered to 1500 ect  I slowly lost weight but it was still a struggle now we are at 1200 and guess what I am losing 1 to 3 pounds a week and am which is really only about 200 cals less than my recommended for my size now .for me it seems  like if I actually eat what is recommended it just doesn't work for me personally plus ,I have some diet restrictions because of certain protein intolerance's so working with a nutritionist really helped me to figure out what my body needs to lose weight and still eating a well balanced diet . 

That's me and that's what worked for me 1st off you have to be honest are you really following it 100% and not seeing results ? then there can be other medical  reasons for that as well like insulin resistant or thyroid so getting that all checked out is a good place to start . 

bry36
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Totally agree with all this as well .Personally I don't think unless you want to 6 days a week is totally necessary either . I work out 3 to 4 days at most a week and still see results I do need to be with my family too& if you are feeling resentful and stressed because you are away from home to much that isn't going to help either. Maybe scale back to 4 days and see if that helps if not scale back 1 more day . 

Quoting Djinn83:

My first thought always go to underestimating calories. How are you tracking your calories? Are you guesstimating or weighing your food? 

Drinking 8 bottles of water quickly is not going to hydrate you. Your body can only absorb so much water within a given time period, the rest will be flush out. Try to hydrate consistently. 

How much weight have you gained? All that water, plus inflammation from working out 6 days a week will make you weigh in heavier. 

Pecuellar
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I use myfitnesspal and try to weigh and measure when i can.  I leave a few extra calories on the table for mistakes.  My ap says i need 1500/day i usually log about 1200-1300.  I constantly have a water bottle with me but i go thru at lease two during a workout.  I have gained 3 pounds acoording to the machine.  I worked out (weight training), went home cooked and ate dinner then went to get measured, maybe 1.5 hours after the workout.  is that too close?

Quoting Djinn83:

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:18 PM
You aren't eating enough for your BMR, and what kinds of food are you eating when you eat?
Pecuellar
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I am pretty close.  20 pounds would be perfect.  Mainly i want to be stronger.  I am kind of a wimp and i have a child that can't walk and is getting heaver.  that was why i joined the transformation program rather than a straight weight loss.  myfitnesspal says 1570/per day.  I have never been an athlete and have never worked out 6 days a week.  I was more of a 2-3 times a week person before and most of that was cardio.  I have never "weight trained". 

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

are you close to the size you want to be or do you have a lot to lose?

how many calories do they have you eating?

is this all new to you -or were you working out before?

Pecuellar
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I actually have hashimoto's disease which is a thyroid condition.  I didn't connect that that might be a factor.

Quoting bry36:

Personally I think the one fit you need to eat this many times and this amount of cals is not a one stop shop for all woman .I tried for months with the 6 times a day and my recommended cals and nothing not 1 pound or 1 inch lost and got really frustrated gave up and quit .Ended up going to a nutritionist/dietitian and we started out with recommended cals which I think was 1700-ish at the time and I stayed true to that recorded everything and nope no weight lost after 1 month then we lowered it to 1600 and still same resultslowered to 1500 ect  I slowly lost weight but it was still a struggle now we are at 1200 and guess what I am losing 1 to 3 pounds a week and am which is really only about 200 cals less than my recommended for my size now .for me it seems  like if I actually eat what is recommended it just doesn't work for me personally plus ,I have some diet restrictions because of certain protein intolerance's so working with a nutritionist really helped me to figure out what my body needs to lose weight and still eating a well balanced diet . 

That's me and that's what worked for me 1st off you have to be honest are you really following it 100% and not seeing results ? then there can be other medical  reasons for that as well like insulin resistant or thyroid so getting that all checked out is a good place to start . 

Pecuellar
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I eat clean as they say, but I do have trouble getting the reccomended 30% protien daily.  I am not much of a meat eater, don't drink milk, etc.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: You aren't eating enough for your BMR, and what kinds of food are you eating when you eat?

Djinn83
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:31 PM

How much do you weigh? 1200-1300 calories is low even for me. Especially if you are lifting 3 days a week. You need to eat to lose weight! Or metabolism slows. I know it sounds like BS but it's true!

And yes, lifting increases blood flow and induced inflammation. Weigh yourself before and after lifting, it's not uncommon to gain a few lbs after exercise (unless you sweat and extreme amount). 

I will gain up to 5 lbs during my workout days, and then drop 6 on my rest days. Always weigh yourself first thing in the morning. And don't be obsessive about it.

if you are new to working weight training, there is something called "newb gains". It is not uncommon for newbies to gain more muscle than they lose fat in the beginning. It will level off. And it's a good thing! Muscle gains in the beginning can be explosive, and more muscle burns more fat even when you are sitting on the couch.

your pants fit the same, but how do you look in the mirror? Do you feel stronger? For most women stomach fat comes off last and if you are lucky, so does breast tissue, so while your pants fit the same, overall body composition is tightening and thinning. I would suggest measuring with a tape measure. I bet you would be surprised in the difference in your arms, thighs and forearm. 

Keep at it! One day you will be getting dressed and catch yourself in the mirror and go "yes! I look good!" 

Also, so, check your high fructose corn syrup intake. Eliminating it will increase your weight loss, sometimes drastically.

Quoting Pecuellar:

I use myfitnesspal and try to weigh and measure when i can.  I leave a few extra calories on the table for mistakes.  My ap says i need 1500/day i usually log about 1200-1300.  I constantly have a water bottle with me but i go thru at lease two during a workout.  I have gained 3 pounds acoording to the machine.  I worked out (weight training), went home cooked and ate dinner then went to get measured, maybe 1.5 hours after the workout.  is that too close?

Quoting Djinn83:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)