Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Summer Weight Loss Challenge Day 7: Kill Those Calories with Cardio

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:04 AM
  • 58 Replies

Welcome to day 7 of the Summer Weight Loss Challenge!

One factor one the road to successful weight loss is to constantly keep moving.
Cardiovascular exercise is the key to this. Simply stated, cardio just means that you are involved in an activity that gets your heart rate up to a working level.

Here is why cardio is important to your fitness and health

• Burns calories, helping you to lose weight
  • Strengthens your heart so it doesn't have to work so hard to pump blood
  • Increases lung capacity
  • Helps to reduce stress
  • Helps to reduce the risk of heart attack, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes

Whatever your lifestyle or circumstance, there is a cardio workout for you.

• If you have a gym membership, you can take advantage of all the cardio machines and classes available.
  • If you workout at home, you can jump rope, do jumping jacks, run up and down the stairs, dance in your living room or do a cardio fitness DVD.
  • If you prefer the outdoors, you can walk, run, swim, bike, hike, or go climbing. The possibilities are endless.
  • House cleaning and chores can also be a really good form of cardio. Scrubbing pots and pans, cutting the grass with a push mower, sweeping the floors, squating down as you remove each piece of laundry individually from the dryer are all forms of cardio exercise. Get creative and turn your chores into a workout.
    If you aren't already doing so, you should incorporate cardio into your daily routine.
  • Any movement can be a cardio workout as long as there is enough intensity to it.
  • You should do AT LEAST 30-40 minutes of cardio a day as part of your fitness routine.

How often and for how long do you do cardio exercise?

What types of cardio exercise do you do?

treadmillOne member who signs up for the Summer Weight Loss Challenge and replies to 25 of the daily posts will be chosen at random to WIN a CafeMom Gift Pack!

Click here to sign up: Join our Summer Weight Loss Challenge and WIN a CafeMom Gift Pack!

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
t1gger143
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:28 AM
I have a treadmill. I hate it because it's boring, so when weather permits I walk. I would rather run, but my kids can't keep up. We also do short races in front of the house so that can run with me. My 7 year kid is a fast sprinter.
JKuney
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM
I try to do 30 minutes a day. Some days I get it some days I don't. Luckily I have two little ones so I'm constantly running after them lol!
Mommy_Natural
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:31 AM
I go on daily walks and short sprints/races with my kids daily. Whenever my husband is home before dark and can watch the kids I might go running. I'm hoping I can go tonight!

As soon as my baby is 6 months old I will join my gym again, the daycare there won't take babies younger than 6 months. If I can take my kids instead of having to wait for my husband I'm much more likely to go.
delmobaby
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:35 AM
I have some at home dvds and also found some great free cardio workouts on you tube. Today I will be starting couch to 5k. I try to use Sunday as a rest day but usually end up doing a little cardio then too.
LadyJag
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I walk 3-4 miles every day during my lunch hour. On extremely hot days, I swim for an hour. When it rains, I do Wii Fit.

tampatha01
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Oh here is my downfall.  I don't do cardio enough.  I am trying to add 30 min 3x a week.  I have a free run on my Wii that I need to start using.  I also have Wii play which I like as I enjoy the tennis and the boxing segments.  

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I used to run but now I may have to try swimming!

TB78
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM

I usually just walk while listening to pandora radio on my phone. Sometimes I would start jogging or powerwalking if I have on one of the cardio blast songs. I usually go for about 1-2 hours.

Brandyns87
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:06 AM
I do cardio about 3 times a week. I do 400 jump rope. I do 50, rest, 50 more, rest, and continue until I've done 400.
HamsterandCow
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM
I walk for an hour each night, 6 days per week. Our neighborhood is huge and has great lighting and sidewalks so I go at night because it's disgustingly hot here!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN