Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is This Body-Shaming 'Muffin-Top' Billboard Offensive?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:30 AM
  • 15 Replies

Body-Shaming 'Muffin-Top' Billboard Gets Hilarious Facelift From Vandals (PHOTO)

by Liz Alterman

muffin top billboard

While vandalism is nothing to be proud of, we can understand why someone may have wanted to deface one particular billboard in Ann Arbor, Michigan

The original body-shaming message, courtesy of Ann Arbor Plastic Surgery, reads: "Friends Don't Let Friends Muffin Top." Or it did, until someone with a can of spray paint decided to issue a more uplifting message to passing motorists.

billboard gets facelift

The words "You're Beautiful" were scrawled above the surgery center's crossed-out tagline, ostensibly offering viewers a more positive take on their appearance.

On its Facebook page, Ann Arbor Plastic Surgery stated that the group's ad wasn't meant to be offensive but rather was intended "to get people to chuckle." 

I don't know, is feeling overweight and unconfident something to laugh about? With all the talent these doctors most likely possess, is that really the best they could do? Wouldn't before and after photos of a life-changing corrective surgery have been a more powerful advertisement rather than one that addresses a bit of flab that spills over your waistband? Muffin top, which has been around far longer than its silly title, certainly isn't something to strive for, but it's hardly a condition that requires medical attention.

We get that this practice is looking for an eye-catching new way to attract patients, but we don't think shaming people who have a few extra inches around their middle is the way to go about it.  

Do you think the sign is over the top and offensive?

Do you respond to this type of advertising to motivate you to get in shape?

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cherie74
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm offended only by the fact that they are promoting surgery over healthy diet and exercise!

Djinn83
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:41 AM

If Gold's gym had put this same exact sign up instead of a plastic surgery center, you would be ok with it?

Quoting Cherie74:

I'm offended only by the fact that they are promoting surgery over healthy diet and exercise!

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Idk...I mean, they're a plastic surgery center. What do you expect? I guess I have better things to be offended about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cherie74
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I don't offend easily. ;)  

I just think it's silly to say that surgery is the solution for muffin top. 

cc5112
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:21 AM

It's not offensive or body shaming. It's an advertisment for cosmetic surgery with a funny twist. People get all worked up about the silliest things, instead of getting worked up enough about doing something postivie/healthy about their muffin top. Should we be offended that fast food advertises junk food which can lead to heart disease diabetes, and muffin tops? Like others stated there are oher and truly serious things to be offended about.   smh .....

Djinn83
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:23 AM

It's one solution, but maybe not the best.

but people who have lost a lot of weight often have extra skin despite exercising, and surgery is their only option at that point. 

Quoting Cherie74:

I don't offend easily. ;)  

I just think it's silly to say that surgery is the solution for muffin top. 

Djinn83
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Also, this would probably be a more effective ad if they were offering a 2 for 1 special. It would make more sense that way.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:29 PM
Meh. I don't care.
livndaybyday
by Alicia on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:04 PM
Doesn't bother me. If people would wear pants that fit appropriately and quit trying to squeeze into clothes that are obviously too tight, they wouldn't have a "muffin top". Even at my heaviest, I never had one even though I have plenty of fat and rolls because my waist band fits right.
Cherie74
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:52 PM

THIS!

Quoting livndaybyday: Doesn't bother me. If people would wear pants that fit appropriately and quit trying to squeeze into clothes that are obviously too tight, they wouldn't have a "muffin top". Even at my heaviest, I never had one even though I have plenty of fat and rolls because my waist band fits right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)