Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introduction

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hello, my name is Mary, I am a stay at home mom of 3 children with a husband who is a truck driver. I have suffered from being over weight most of my life and now my daughter who is 2yrs old is very much   over weight and I would like some help not only for me but I want to learn how to help her and teach my whole familt to be healthy. Any ideas would be much appreciated..Thank you..

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Blessed2585
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you a member of a gym? Can you take walks together, encourage them to be active and make healthy decisions such as going out to play rather than playing a video game. Choose an apple for a snack rather than a cookie etc. Good luck! I will keep you in my prayers!

bry36
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Welcome Mary . My son was overweight when he was about age 5-6 and we def changed it around . And I had to start with me of course 1st off in what I bought and what I brought in to our house and what snacks I allowed and understanding portion size esp if we were eating out as in McDonald's an adult size chicken nugget  is a 4 piece so what they put in a kids meal is way to much . I don't know about you but when I used to fix my son dinner or his plate up I snacked off it then I would eat my own dinner too I started adding up the cals I consumed just from finishing his sandwich or whatever and it was like 500 cals a day seriously its just crazy how fast it adds up and its not even worth it to throw a few bites of food in your mouth when you are barley paying enough attention to enjoy it . And of course getting active go for walks after dinner if possible find a gym that has free child care ,maybe enroll them in a sport or activity swimming lessons,dance ,soccer .you tube also has great videos for you and for the kids I love Zumba and that would be something you could all do together .

For you to get started I really recommend tracking your cals I use my fitness pal and it reallly helps me stay accountable .I think most woman expect instant results or not to have set backs and thats why they get discouraged and quite like oh well I already messed up today might as well binge eat the rest of the day .Know that its going to take time and some times you have to work on it  a hr at a time or a day at a time and the weight didnt go on over night its not going to come off over night either  and habits you have had for yrs dont just go away its really a mental adjustment you have to be committed to more than anything . Do you know your BMR thats always a good place to start . For me when I was younger and had gained weight something I never really had deal with before I had no idea where to start I started doing weight watchers and it really helped me to learn portion control and be able to understand if I ate this then I cant have that too . Over the yrs I have learned a lot about how my body responds to what I eat but I still sort of base my eating habits off WW and just watching my cals in cals out .Good luck take before and after pics .Oh and dont forget to drink half your weight in oz of water a day . 

myfamily04
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:48 AM
Thank you so much!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)