Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Mom of 5 Mocked for Her Stretch Marks

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM
  • 19 Replies

Mom of 5 Mocked for Her Stretch Marks Has the Last Laugh

by Liz Alterman

bikini 

When proud mom of five Tanis Jex-Blake hit the beach last week with her kids she expected to have an enjoyable, relaxing day. What she didn't anticipate was driving home in tears after two men and a woman mocked her because of her stretch marks

Blake, 33, was sunbathing and sporting a bikini for the first time in 13 years when she opened her eyes to find a trio of bullies standing over her, pointing, mocking her body and pretending to kick her. 

While the Canadian was initially shocked and deeply hurt, she didn't take the insults lying down. Despite the fact that her day was ruined, what Jex-Blake did next has women everywhere cheering. 

This is an open letter to the 2 guys and 1 girl who decided to skip work today in Sherwood Park where they were building a house , but instead decided to come to Alberta Beach to relax in the sun, enjoy the water and some beers.
I'm sorry if my first attempt at sun tanning in a bikini in public in 13 years

This is an open letter to the 2 guys and 1 girl who decided to skip work today in Sherwood Park where they were building a house , but instead decided to come to Alberta Beach to relax in the sun, enjoy the water and some beers.
I'm sorry if my first attempt at sun tanning in a bikini in public in 13 years "grossed you out". I'm sorry that my stomach isn't flat and tight. I'm sorry that my belly is covered in stretch marks. I'm NOT sorry that my body has housed, grown, protected, birthed and nurtured FIVE fabulous, healthy, intelligent and wonderful human beings. I'm sorry if my 33 year old, 125 lb body offended you so much that you felt that pointing, laughing, and pretending to kick me. But I'll have you know that as I looked at your 'perfect' young bodies, I could only think to myself "what great and amazing feat has YOUR body done?". I'll also have you know that I held my head high, unflinching as you mocked me, pretending that what you said and did had no effect on me; but I cried in the car on the drive home. Thanks for ruining my day. It's people like you who make this world an ugly hateful place. I can't help but feel sorry for the women who will one day bear your children and become "gross" in your eyes as their bodies change during the miraculous process of pregnancy. I can only hope that one day you'll realize that my battle scars are something to be proud of, not ashamed of.

The mother of five took time out of what we'd have to imagine is a pretty busy day to post an open letter to her taunters on her Facebook page. Already, the empowering message has garnered close to 10,000 "likes" and has been shared nearly 7,000 times on her page alone.

Calling her stretch marks "battle scars," Jex-Blake says they should be a source of pride, not shame. 

"I'm NOT sorry that my body has housed, grown, protected, birthed and nurtured FIVE fabulous, healthy, intelligent and wonderful human beings," she wrote.  

You go, girl! Jex-Blake's message illustrates that a woman's body serves a much more powerful purpose than simply looking appealing to others at the beach.

Her response resonates with so many because, as she points out, "normal women will never measure up to a super model," nor do they have the luxury of Photoshopping each picture snapped of them.

What you wear to the beach is your choice and while others may not agree with it, it certainly doesn't give them the right to put anyone down or ruin their day.

Do you agree with Jex-Blake's response or should there be a bikini cut off?

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alynn74
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I am also a mother of 5 and for me personally, I will not wear a bikini-even if I was much slimmer. That is my personal preference though, but I feel that you should be able to wear whatever you want.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that if you put yourself out there, no matter what you physique or body type, you have to accept that people will judge you in some capacity. It's one of those things that isn't right or wrong, it just simply is.

I don't get this, honestly, this whole slow clap thing people do now for people that post stories of alleged shaming on the Internet. Who is to say that this even happened? I have no faith and trust in Internet strangers.

I don't care that this woman had 5 kids. I really dont. I don't really care if she wants to wear a bikini. If I see her and make the "eww" face as a first reaction though, that's on her, not me.
mkmb129
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM
There was a chick here making fun of another mother's stretch marks not too long ago. I get it on the internet, hiding behind the screen, but to have the balls to do it in person.. takes some pretty big balls. There will always be hateful people. With any luck that young girl with have a baby or two, and get some stretch marks, and then feel remorseful.
5kidzzz
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:28 PM

There was a woman on Cafemom who posted this pic and put ALL women with sretch marks down.

That I find "gross"!

5kidzzz
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:30 PM

So if I look at you and make an EWW face, that's ok?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: I think that if you put yourself out there, no matter what you physique or body type, you have to accept that people will judge you in some capacity. It's one of those things that isn't right or wrong, it just simply is. I don't get this, honestly, this whole slow clap thing people do now for people that post stories of alleged shaming on the Internet. Who is to say that this even happened? I have no faith and trust in Internet strangers. I don't care that this woman had 5 kids. I really dont. I don't really care if she wants to wear a bikini. If I see her and make the "eww" face as a first reaction though, that's on her, not me.

Djinn83
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I agree with this, mostly. A knee jerk reaction is one thing, being intentionally rude and mean is another. Those kids were being intentionally rude and need to be taught some manners, but in the end, they WERE kids, and kids are jerks. Haha.

also, if you don't want people looking at you and assessing your body (we ALL do it. Don't tell me you don't) then don't wear a bikini. I don't have any visible stretch marks (I can feel a few small ones), I still don't wear a bikini because I don't want people looking at my body and comparing it to theirs. All women do this, and even all men they just don't admit it. 

Bottom line, it's not ok to be a jerk. But don't be so naive to assume that jerks don't exist and WILL make douchebag comments. If you are ok with that then wear a bikini, if you aren't them maybe wear something a little more conservative and flattering. 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: I think that if you put yourself out there, no matter what you physique or body type, you have to accept that people will judge you in some capacity. It's one of those things that isn't right or wrong, it just simply is. I don't get this, honestly, this whole slow clap thing people do now for people that post stories of alleged shaming on the Internet. Who is to say that this even happened? I have no faith and trust in Internet strangers. I don't care that this woman had 5 kids. I really dont. I don't really care if she wants to wear a bikini. If I see her and make the "eww" face as a first reaction though, that's on her, not me.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

That would be your perogative, I suppose. I'm sure I've been "eww'd" before in my life. Most of us probably have been. 

Stretch marks are ugly. They are. They are a rude and sometimes unavoidable fact of life. I made a ghastly face and inhaled loudly in shock when I looked at the photo posted with this blog. I'll admit it.

Its anyone's business if they choose to show them, but you have to be prepared for negative feedback if you put yourself out there. It's sad, but true. People are assholes, and nothing is going to change that. 

Quoting 5kidzzz:

So if I look at you and make an EWW face, that's ok?

eclaudin
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM
I give her props for wearing her bikini that I'm sure she probably knew she shouldn't wear. It is her choice to wear what she pleases, and I have see many people wearing suits they shouldn't for various reasons yet they don't get attacked like she did.

Now for me, I am not going to wear something that puts my flaws on full display. I cover the bad stuff and accentuate the good. That is what makes ME feel comfortable.
mkmb129
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I didn't look at the photo and think eww.  I think if you did, you've got issues.  And it's your issue, not the owner of those stretch marks.  

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Thats so hurtful and sad.  She should rock her body.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)