• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Exercise triggering migraines.

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:24 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hello,

I'm new here. I've been having an issue with getting horrible migraines after exercising. I drink plenty of water and add extra calories when I work out, so those aren't the cause.

On Webmd it said exercise was a common trigger for migraines because it causes blood vessels to dilate stretching nerve endings and suggested that I warm up before and cool down after.

Has anyone had this problem and gotten past it? What kind of exercise would help?

Thank you,
Rachel
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmommy430
by Rachel on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Bump
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 9:49 AM
If you research and talk to your physician about your migraines, you might find that your migraine isn't actually triggered by the exercise, but by other things you're doing.
Are you tracking them? Keeping a diary? Do you have other health issues that might be causing them (blood pressure, nutrient processing issues)? I've found that exercise helps keep my migraines more "controllable" and they happen less often and are usually less severe.
As for hydrating, it's important to remember to hydrate all day, not just all at once. And your diet may be lacking, which is another trigger. I try to eat foods high in magnesium and even supplement. Jumping into an exercise program, or too much of something, can trigger your migraine. Start slow - remember you had to learn to walk before you ran. Also, make sure it's not hormonal or allergies.
It's a huge PITA to keep a journal, but I track water, food, exercise, my cycle, and weather. This helps me A LOT and I'm now off of injections.
Good luck!
newmommy430
by Rachel on Aug. 17, 2014 at 1:14 PM
Thank you.

I haven't kept a journal for my migraines. I do keep track of my food and water. I will start the journal and talk to my Dr.

Quoting mybratsmom: If you research and talk to your physician about your migraines, you might find that your migraine isn't actually triggered by the exercise, but by other things you're doing.
Are you tracking them? Keeping a diary? Do you have other health issues that might be causing them (blood pressure, nutrient processing issues)? I've found that exercise helps keep my migraines more "controllable" and they happen less often and are usually less severe.
As for hydrating, it's important to remember to hydrate all day, not just all at once. And your diet may be lacking, which is another trigger. I try to eat foods high in magnesium and even supplement. Jumping into an exercise program, or too much of something, can trigger your migraine. Start slow - remember you had to learn to walk before you ran. Also, make sure it's not hormonal or allergies.
It's a huge PITA to keep a journal, but I track water, food, exercise, my cycle, and weather. This helps me A LOT and I'm now off of injections.
Good luck!
hollyah73
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Yoga gives me migraines within 15 min of starting it. Nothing else does so my solution is to not do yoga! I hope you find a solution!
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Are you careful about breath control when you do yoga? I wonder if you are restricting your breathing and causing your BP to go up?

Quoting hollyah73: Yoga gives me migraines within 15 min of starting it. Nothing else does so my solution is to not do yoga! I hope you find a solution!

chinosruca
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:51 PM
I've had migraines for well over 20 years and not once triggered by exercise. I've never heard of that.......but, it could be true. It could be something you are eating though. There are some crazy food triggers out there. I had to do food elimination for a LONG time and slowly introduce one food at a time back into my diet to see if it was a food trigger. There are surprisingly healthy foods on the food trigger list, so if you recently started eating or increased eating one of those foods, it could be a food trigger.
hollyah73
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Quoting Bmat:

Are you careful about breath control when you do yoga? I wonder if you are restricting your breathing and causing your BP to go up?

Quoting hollyah73: Yoga gives me migraines within 15 min of starting it. Nothing else does so my solution is to not do yoga! I hope you find a solution!

I was very careful about breath control after it happened the first time. I talked to the teacher and that's what she thought it might be. The second class I was 15 min in or so and it happened again. I decided to try one more beginner class and yet again it happened. So I decided that my body just doesn't like yoga and avoid it. My migraines are hormonally triggered generally.
newmommy430
by Rachel on Aug. 19, 2014 at 2:59 PM
I've been fine with yoga, but cardio is what gets me. I almost always get a horrible migraine after.

newmommy430
by Rachel on Aug. 19, 2014 at 3:01 PM
I haven't been eating anything different. The only difference has been when I do exercises that involve a lot of cardio. Strength and toning exercises have been okay.

Quoting chinosruca: I've had migraines for well over 20 years and not once triggered by exercise. I've never heard of that.......but, it could be true. It could be something you are eating though. There are some crazy food triggers out there. I had to do food elimination for a LONG time and slowly introduce one food at a time back into my diet to see if it was a food trigger. There are surprisingly healthy foods on the food trigger list, so if you recently started eating or increased eating one of those foods, it could be a food trigger.
polkaspots
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 3:03 PM
I'm the same way. I get migraines after cardio, specifically jumping exercises. I don't get them as badly or as regularly after I run, but I think that's because I alternate between running, jogging and walking.
I can do my stretches and my other exercises just fine.

Quoting newmommy430: I've been fine with yoga, but cardio is what gets me. I almost always get a horrible migraine after.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)