Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Running

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:42 PM
  • 17 Replies
So I'm new, to this site as of 5 minutes ago and to running. Was hoping to connect with other runners on here. I have a new found love for working out, and so far it consists of running. I'm planning to try yoga tomorrow so if there are any yoga people in here I'd love to hear about your experiences. Anyway... I've registered for my first 5k and it's exactly one month from now.
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Hi there! Welcome to the group! I'm a runner ( sidelined for months now though) and there are many other runners in the group. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't call myself a runner but I run out of necessity... I just did my second unofficial half marathon.
MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:42 AM
Hi! I've been running for a few years! I've done numerous 5ks, 10ks, a few half marathons and triathlons! Love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto1ryen
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Hi and welcome! I'm a runner as well. Usually sunrise, Pandora and 5-7 miles is my routine.
Cherie74
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I've been running for a year now. Usually 4-7 miles, 3 or 4 times a week. I've done a couple of 5k's and I'm training for a 10k in September.

Welcome!

lapcounter
Amazing weekend, now to plan our next getaway.....
Yesterday at 10:39 AM
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:04 PM
I am doing my first 5 K Sept 13th, almost finished with the Couch to 5K :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SparklyCoffee
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:14 PM
I'm a runner. I run between 5-8 miles a few times a week. I've done a lot of races ranging from 5ks to a full marathon.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 15, 2014 at 5:20 AM

Welcome and good luck!  I'm a runner as well...although I'm on a hiatus at the moment:)

BeFit-Mom
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Since you are a newbie to running, make sure that you take enough rest days between training sessions. This can be "active" rest, where you do yoga, strength training, cycling, swimming, etc. Just don't do impact. A great book on this is called "Periodization," you should be able to pick up a used copy on Amazon cheap.

Right now, (the first 6 weeks of training, which is your adaptation phase) your body needs to build ligament density, as well as better "braking" mechanics, before you look to increase speed and/or distance. Try to land every footfall as softly as possible. Run on a track if possible. Be alert to joint pain, either during or after a run. Swelling and/or joint stiffness is a sign of joint stress and means that you've been overtraining.

BeFit-Mom

delmobaby
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Welcome and good luck. I just finished week 3 day 3 of couch to 5k by active. I would love to sign up for a 5k when I'm done by hubby works out of town and my boys are ages almost 4 to 9 and I have 5. I've nobody who could watch them for me so maybe in the future when they are old enough to look out for eachother
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)