Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Really struggling

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:07 PM
  • 21 Replies

I posted before in this group, then kind of backed off.  I backed off because I fell off the wagon again.

I have an all out sugar addiction.  I've gained ground many times just to lose it again.  I almost completely give it up, start to have small amounts more regularly, then eventually get to the point where I binge on it.  That leaves me feeling guilty, irritated and depressed and wanting to change.  That's where I am now.  I've spent the past few days binging on sugar (this time has been worse because most of my sugar has been combined with caffeine).

I am so ashamed to admit this.  But I need to change!  I can't keep up this cycle.  I'm obese, I hate the way I look, I'm not being a good example to my 3 kids, I'm having IBS symptoms from the sugar I eat, etc.

How can I make sure this time is different?  I was so determined last time, just to fall 2 weeks in.  I'm so afraid this is just going to be a vicious, endless cycle.

by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM
3 moms liked this
Cold turkey. It's the only way to go. It's absolutely no different than a heroin addiction, you have to be cut off completely. You will go through withdrawls, you will suffer for a few days, but it CAN be done.

If it is honestly that much of a temptation for you, get it all out of your house. Unfortunately, you may be one of those people that just can't ever invite sugar back into your life because it controls you, not the other way around. You have to kick it to the curb like a bad ex boyfriend. "Everything is ok in moderation" may not work for you.
Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Gotta say I kind of agree. :-/ It's hard but feeling the way you do has to be hard, too. One hard ends well, the other doesn't. Only you can choose.

You can do it!! Find a support person, a sponsor of sorts, if you need to.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: Cold turkey. It's the only way to go. It's absolutely no different than a heroin addiction, you have to be cut off completely. You will go through withdrawls, you will suffer for a few days, but it CAN be done.

If it is honestly that much of a temptation for you, get it all out of your house. Unfortunately, you may be one of those people that just can't ever invite sugar back into your life because it controls you, not the other way around. You have to kick it to the curb like a bad ex boyfriend. "Everything is ok in moderation" may not work for you.
emtgirl885
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:58 PM
I agree with her!

I always go cold turkey

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: Cold turkey. It's the only way to go. It's absolutely no different than a heroin addiction, you have to be cut off completely. You will go through withdrawls, you will suffer for a few days, but it CAN be done.

bekaanne0524
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 6:15 PM
I was reading tips to getting rid of sugar addiction earlier and 2 sources said give it up for good. My mind immediately jumps to "I can't do that! To never again have special coffee drinks, ice cream or Oreos?! How could I do that?!" Of course that just shows my addiction and that I may indeed need to give it up. That thought is just torturous though.

I need to commit to giving it up again. I probably do need to commit to giving it up for good. That's going to take me a little time to fully accept.

There's a lot of truth in your response. Thank you. Now I need to come to terms with it.

bekaanne0524
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 6:18 PM
You're right. It's hard to give it up (I've done that multiple times), but it's also hard to deal with the IBS symptoms sugar is causing!

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny: Gotta say I kind of agree. :-/ It's hard but feeling the way you do has to be hard, too. One hard ends well, the other doesn't. Only you can choose.

You can do it!! Find a support person, a sponsor of sorts, if you need to.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Aug. 18, 2014 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess you have to decide what is more important, you or the Oreo? That is what it comes down to.

I love Italian food. Big plates of pasta and sides of crusty garlic bread. I haven't had pasta in almost 2 years. Why? Because it's my trigger. It's almost dangerous for me to even talk about, because my mouth is watering just thinking about it. I am utterly incapable of moderation with pasta. I will never be one of those people that can just eat a small plate of pasta with one small slice of bread. I will eat, and eat, and eat until either the pasta is gone or I vomit. There is something about pasta that inhibits the chemical response in my brain that indicates fullness. All I feel with pasta and bread is more hungry. There is no "everything in moderation" for me.

Do I miss pasta? Only when I talk about it like this. That's why I rarely share this tidbit of info. Instead, I focus on all the other amazing things I CAN eat.

Quoting bekaanne0524: I was reading tips to getting rid of sugar addiction earlier and 2 sources said give it up for good. My mind immediately jumps to "I can't do that! To never again have special coffee drinks, ice cream or Oreos?! How could I do that?!" Of course that just shows my addiction and that I may indeed need to give it up. That thought is just torturous though.

I need to commit to giving it up again. I probably do need to commit to giving it up for good. That's going to take me a little time to fully accept.

There's a lot of truth in your response. Thank you. Now I need to come to terms with it.

bekaanne0524
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 6:45 PM
I'm glad to hear from someone who can relate, and from someone who has made the tough choice.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: I guess you have to decide what is more important, you or the Oreo? That is what it comes down to.

I love Italian food. Big plates of pasta and sides of crusty garlic bread. I haven't had pasta in almost 2 years. Why? Because it's my trigger. It's almost dangerous for me to even talk about, because my mouth is watering just thinking about it. I am utterly incapable of moderation with pasta. I will never be one of those people that can just eat a small plate of pasta with one small slice of bread. I will eat, and eat, and eat until either the pasta is gone or I vomit. There is something about pasta that inhibits the chemical response in my brain that indicates fullness. All I feel with pasta and bread is more hungry. There is no "everything in moderation" for me.

Do I miss pasta? Only when I talk about it like this. That's why I rarely share this tidbit of info. Instead, I focus on all the other amazing things I CAN eat.

Quoting bekaanne0524: I was reading tips to getting rid of sugar addiction earlier and 2 sources said give it up for good. My mind immediately jumps to "I can't do that! To never again have special coffee drinks, ice cream or Oreos?! How could I do that?!" Of course that just shows my addiction and that I may indeed need to give it up. That thought is just torturous though.

bekaanne0524
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM
I talked with my husband who's seen my endless cycle. He also told me if I'm going to give it up throw out the sugar and fully give it up. He doesn't want me to go through the cycle anymore (understandably so, I'm pretty bad the first few days I give up sugar, and he's dealt with that a few times now).

I'm making the commitment but I'm very not excited about it. I need to get passed this. I seriously want to cry over the thought of not having sweet treats again. I know that's absolutely pathetic, but that's where I'm at right now.
kidslovemom
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:06 AM

I can completely understand.  I started my weight loss last fall and eating apples is what got me through, just plain but delicious and crisp apples.  I easily had 2 or 3 a day, we picked them at an orchard and I wished it was fall all year and was bummed when the season was gone (clementines were only a fair substitute). When I wanted something sweet, I ate an apple and drank lots of water and it was great.  I love ice cream, Oreos, all of that stuff but I love me more.  Some of the positive changes from losing only 30 pounds: I am no longer out of breath after climbing the stairs ( it was embarrassing if I was on the phone), my knee no longer hurts and swells when I take a hike, I went waterskiing and got up, which I couldn't even do the lat time I tried at 17, I'm 43 now, I went horseback riding with my dd and she loved watching me trot ( and I didn't have to worry about being too fat for any horse and the best was I no longer need bladder sling surgery, I was scheduled for July this year and cancelled.  Your list will be full of amazing new things you can't even think about yet.  You deserve being the best you for you, kids and your husband.  You can do this!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:20 AM

21 Day Sugar Detox.  Google it, look it up on FB.  I had to do it twice before my sugar addiction was gone!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN