Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Help! I need paleo friendly comfort foods!

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 4:26 PM
  • 48 Replies

Hey ladies, 

I've been following a mostly paleo lifestyle since March, but it's getting tough!  

Im 7 weeks pregnant and while my morning sickness isn't horrible like last time, it's definitely there.  Saltines, bagels and other starchy snacks seem to be about all I can think about eating before noon!  Just thinking of other food makes my stomach flop. Because of this I've already gained 4lbs!! Plus the added grains is bringing back my sugar cravings with a vengeance!!!   I'm in need of ideas!   My normal breakfast of an omelette is definitely off the table (pun intended). And I can't quite handle fruit until my stomach is settled after the bagel. I tried just salmon this morning and while I didn't get sicker, the queasiness didn't go away.  

by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Aug. 20, 2014 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Why can't you eat an omelette? I eat one almost every day and I've been Paleo for a year and a half.

The term "Paleo Comfort Food" is kind of a misnomer. Paleo people don't eat for comfort, they eat for sustainability.
audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:03 PM
Morning sickness. Omlettes are currently on the list of "most disgusting food on the planet" lol. Basically looking for something that can calm my stomach first thing in the morning! That's what I mean by comfort. I don't want to eat an omlette only to throw it up 5 min later. I want something that will get me through my morning without tossing my cookies lol.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: Why can't you eat an omelette? I eat one almost every day and I've been Paleo for a year and a half.

The term "Paleo Comfort Food" is kind of a misnomer. Paleo people don't eat for comfort, they eat for sustainability.
audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:10 PM
I guess I look at comfort food more in terms of making you feel better when you feel like crap lol.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: Why can't you eat an omelette? I eat one almost every day and I've been Paleo for a year and a half.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Sunflower Seed Cookies

1/2 c. sunflower seed flour*

1/3 c. raisins

1/4 c. honey

2 Tbsp. coconut flour

2 Tbsp. shredded coconut

2 tsp. vanilla extract

*To make the sunflower seed flour, simply place raw seeds in a food processor and blend until the consistency of flour.  It will likely be coarser than "regular" flour.  That's ok; you just want most of the big pieces gone.

Preheat oven to 350°. Mix all ingredients in bowl.  Scoop cookies onto parchment paper lined baking sheet (I just greased the heck out of the cookie sheet).  Bake for 11 - 12 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned on the edges. Allow to cool completely before enjoying!

Makes 8 to 10 cookies.

from www.paleomagonline.com

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:32 PM

for breakfasts:

No-Oat Oatmeal

• 1 handful walnuts
  • 1 handful pecans
  • 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • Pinch of ginger
  • 1 Tbsp. almond butter
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 c. almond milk
  • 2 tsp. pumpkin seeds
  • 1 handful fresh berries

Add walnuts, pecans, flax seed and spices to a food processor and pulse it down to a coarse grain, making sure to stop before it's totally ground into a powder. 

Whisk together eggs and almond milk until smooth.  Mash together the banana and almond butter and add to eggs, mixing well.

Stir in the nut mixture.  Microwave or gently warm on the stove until it reaches desired consistency.  Stir frequently.  Sprinkle pumpkin seeds and berries on top.  Add more almond milk if desired.

From the Primal Blueprint Reader-Created Cookbook, submitted by Doug Descant

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Fluffy Coconut Flour Pancakes

• 4 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 c. milk (raw cow's or coconut)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1/2 c. coconut flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt (optional)

Preheat griddle greased with coconut oil or butter over medium-low heat.  In a small bowl bet eggs until frothy, about 2 minutes.  Mix in milk, vanilla, and honey.   Add coconut flour, baking soda, and salt and whisk together. 

Ladle 1/4 c. of batter onto hot griddle.  Cook for a few minutes on each side until the tops dry out slightly and the bottoms start to brown.  Flip and cook an additional 1 to 3 minutes.

Serve hot with butter, nut butter, honey, maple syrup, or fruit.

Makes 8 to 10 pancakes.

NOTE:  These are DELICIOUS, have fiber, and are low carb.

michiganmom116

Paleo Pumpkin Muffins

• 1½ cups almond flour
  • 3/4 cup  canned pumpkin (or cook and puree pumpkin yourself)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp  ground cinnamon
  • 1½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 cup raw honey (optional)
  • 2 tsp almond butter
  • 1 Tbs sliced almonds
  1. Preheat oven to 350℉.
  2. Coat 6 muffin tins with coconut oil (or use paper muffin cups and add 1/2 tsp melted coconut oil to batter).
  3. Mix all ingredients and pour evenly into tins.
  4. Bake for 25 minutes on the middle rack.
  5. Sprinkle almonds on top immediately after taking them out of the oven.
michiganmom116

these are SOOO good!

Paleo Morning Glory Muffins

2 1/2 cups almond flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups carrots, peeled and grated
1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup raisins
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey (optional)
1/2 cup coconut or olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a standard-sized muffin pan.
2. Combine almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.  Add carrot, apple, coconut and raisins and combine well.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, honey, oil and vanilla extract together.
4. Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and mix very well. The batter will be very thick.
5. Spoon the batter out into muffin pan and place on upper or middle rack of your oven for 40-50 minutes.
6. When a toothpick inserted into the top of a muffin comes out clean, the muffins are done.
7. Cool muffins in the pan for 8-10 minutes and then remove to a rack to finish cooling.

**If you are looking for variety, sub out currants or chopped dates for the raisins.  You can also add a little orange zest to give them a bit more citrus flavor.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 3 c. almond flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
  • 1/2 c. coconut oil, melted

Preheat oven to 375°.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease very well.

Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Whisk together the eggs, honey, and vanilla and add to dry ingredients and mix well.  Add the melted coconut oil and continue to blend until combined.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop tablespoon size balls of cookie dough onto baking sheets and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.  Cookies do not spread very much and come out more like puffy cookies unless you choose to flatten them slightly.

Yield: 24 to 36 cookies

NOTE:  I used a Pampered Chef small scoop (approx. 1 Tbsp.) and got 48 cookies.  The first batch I baked for 8 minutes and they LOOKED done but were still a bit gooey in the middle.  DS declared them nummy anyway.  The 2nd batch we baked for 9 minutes and they were still a bit gooey in the middle....but the kids didn't care.  LOL

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Carrot Cake

• 3 c. blanched almond flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 1/4 c. melted coconut oil
  • 3 c. grated carrots
  • 1 c. raisins
  • 1 c. chopped walnuts

In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, honey, and coconut oil.  Add carrots, walnuts, and raisins to the wet ingredients and mix well.  Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well.

Spread batter in 2 well greased 9 inch round cake pans.  Bake at 325° for 35 minutes.

Cool to room temperature.

Can spread with cream cheese frosting made from 1 block cream cheese, 1/4 c. butter, and 1/2 c. honey or maple syrup.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN