Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

5 Celebrity Fitness Secrets Revealed

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:19 PM
  • 2 Replies
1 mom liked this

Jennifer Aniston's Top 5 Fitness Secrets Revealed by Her Trainer

by Maressa Brown

mandy ingber with jennifer anistonMost of us have coveted Jennifer Aniston's beachy-glam hair, youthful glowing skin, and obviously lean muscular body for years. Forget SmartWater -- the woman must be drinking straight from the fountain of youth, right?

All right, perhaps, but she definitely has another secret weapon that's not really much of a secret at all ... The actress has worked for more than 10 years with yoga instructor and wellness expert Mandy Ingber. The go-to Hollywood fitness guru, who also trains Kate Beckinsale, is a huge proponent not just of working out, but tapping into simple relaxation techniques that work holistically to help Jen -- and all of her clients! -- looking and feeling their best.

The Stir recently caught up with Ingber, and she shared with us her 5 easiest, quickest, and most effective tips for toning up your body and mind.

1. Opt for variety. Although Ingber is known as a yoga instructor, she also teaches spinning and loves cardio -- for the fat burn, yes, but also the "endorphin high," she says. It shows in her fitness strategy, which combines cardio, yoga, muscle toning, and stretches so her star clients get the most out of their sessions.

With Jen, Ingber spends about 20 minutes doing a "vigorous flow," followed by 30 to 40 minutes of yoga, during which she has Jen do hybrid poses, "like a chair pose with a set of squats, or we do a plan for a minute and then add in a set of push-ups." Rounding out the workout, they do energizing poses, like back-bends. "Jen's a person who has a lot of energy, but needs a lot of energy for her day," Ingber explains.

2. Make protein a priority. Ingber spilled that Jen's go-to diet is "the ZONE type of diet," which is 40 percent of calories from carbs, 30 percent from fat, and 30 percent from satiating protein. "Jen's very into keeping filled with protein, and you can see the result of that," Ingber notes. "You can see the lean muscles. That's also due to exercise and yoga, but it's also about what you put into your body." Hence one reason Ingber loves plant-based protein snacks. (Think quinoa, hemp seeds, or soy milk.)

3. Be purposeful and peaceful with quickie meditations. Most of us think of meditation as a serious commitment of devoting at least 20 minutes and learning complicated chants. But it doesn't have to be like that. "Take your iPhone and set the timer for 5 minutes," advises Ingber. "You can sit up straight on a pillow or with your feet on the floor. Keeping a nice straight spine, you want your knees slightly lower than your hips. Then you start to focus on your breath moving in and out of your nose. This is just mindful breathing. Notice the pause at the end of the inhale and then at the end of an exhale. Bringing your attention to those pauses is where all the action is!"

Of course, your thoughts may drift at times, but that's completely normal. And when that happens, just bring yourself back to your breath. "You don't have to have a spiritual experience," Ingber says. "And just like any exercise and any healthy habit, it's about consistency." Ingber recommends meditating for just 5 minutes upon waking in the morning and before going to bed at night, which can help you get better-quality, weight loss-promoting rest.

4. Tackle a blue mood quickly with this move. "Back bends invigorate the spine and open the chest, allowing more oxygen into the lungs," Ingber notes. "To lift your mood, try a bridge pose: Lie on your back, with knees bent, feet placed on the floor. Press your hips up, with arms down by your sides. If you feel confident, clasp your hands and wriggle onto your shoulders. Take five deep breaths before you lower."

5. Detox. Although Ingber's celeb clients, like Jennifer Aniston, love infrared saunas after a workout for its detoxifying effects, Ingber's a big fan of a lower-maintenance alternative, too: "I love taking a really hot epsom salt bath," she says. "It'll really make you sweat and help you detoxify and eliminate anything that isn't supporting your overall wellness."

Which of Mandy Ingber's tips would you try -- or are you doing already?

by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:34 PM
I really wish I'd read one of the "secrets revealed" things where I didn't already know them. LOL!! I guess I know more about fitness/wellness than I think sometimes.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 21, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Good info...thanks for sharing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN