Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

gall bladder removal. ..

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:30 PM
  • 13 Replies
Has anyone had theirs removed? What do you have trouble eating? Did you gain or lose any weight after the surgery? How long to heal? I had mine out on friday and I'm in a lot of pain :*(
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 25, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Hugs mama...no experience but feel better!

sheli.bean
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 2:41 PM
I had mine out as a teenager. I had troubles eating anything fatty or acidic before the surgery, but afterwards I don't think I had any restrictions. I don't really think I gained or lost anything. It took a at least six weeks to be feeling better. You really have to take it easy for the first little while, but keep yourself moving around at the same time. Feel better, I know it sucks! :(
Diane325
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I had mine out a few years ago. It takes quite awhile to get back to normal. Yes you will have pain for a while but your doctor should of perscribbed pain meds. If I remember correctly I had a weight restriction nothing heavier than a gallon of milk and no bending over for a few days.

livndaybyday
by Alicia on Aug. 25, 2014 at 6:15 PM
I had mine out 7 years ago. I waited 9 months to get it out since I was in college and didn't want to drop the semester. Best thing I ever did! Prior to surgery, it had gotten so bad that the only thing I could eat was some bread and water, and by surgery time even that caused severe pain. I lost weight because I could eat without severe pain. Yes, all surgeries hurt (I've had 5). I was out of work for about 10 days, and when I went back I was on light duty for 2 weeks. At first it was a little difficult eating high fat foods (the gallbladder helps store bile salts from the liver for the breakdown of fats during digestion). Eventually, the liver learns to compensate for the lack of gallbladder and most people can go back to eating whatever they want.
tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:03 PM
I had mine out in 2013. My life got a lot better once I healed. I had horrible eating issues for two years leading up to my surgery.
My recover was longer than mostmost because I had an allergic reaction to some meds and then I had a swelling issue that required a squad ride to the ER. :(
once those items were dealt with recovery was great..and it was nice to actually get to eat food again.
slowly add foods back in. Each new food is like having for the first time all over again. Give your body time to adjust.
I lost ten pounds the week after surgery and have lost a lot more since. I had a horrible time losing weight before the surgery because of bloat. I would eat a bite of cheese and y weight would go up seven lbs the next day. Crazy!
Hope you heal quickly!
kristy95
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Thank you very much :)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama...no experience but feel better!

kristy95
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Thank you. It is slowly but surely getting better already.

Quoting sheli.bean: I had mine out as a teenager. I had troubles eating anything fatty or acidic before the surgery, but afterwards I don't think I had any restrictions. I don't really think I gained or lost anything. It took a at least six weeks to be feeling better. You really have to take it easy for the first little while, but keep yourself moving around at the same time. Feel better, I know it sucks! :(
kristy95
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Ugh the pain meds are the worst part. They make me so nauseous.

Quoting Diane325:

I had mine out a few years ago. It takes quite awhile to get back to normal. Yes you will have pain for a while but your doctor should of perscribbed pain meds. If I remember correctly I had a weight restriction nothing heavier than a gallon of milk and no bending over for a few days.

kristy95
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:16 PM
That sounds awful! I'm glad the surgery helped you :)

Quoting livndaybyday: I had mine out 7 years ago. I waited 9 months to get it out since I was in college and didn't want to drop the semester. Best thing I ever did! Prior to surgery, it had gotten so bad that the only thing I could eat was some bread and water, and by surgery time even that caused severe pain. I lost weight because I could eat without severe pain. Yes, all surgeries hurt (I've had 5). I was out of work for about 10 days, and when I went back I was on light duty for 2 weeks. At first it was a little difficult eating high fat foods (the gallbladder helps store bile salts from the liver for the breakdown of fats during digestion). Eventually, the liver learns to compensate for the lack of gallbladder and most people can go back to eating whatever they want.
kristy95
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Thanks for the help. And cheese was the same for me as well!

Quoting tiredmomfor2: I had mine out in 2013. My life got a lot better once I healed. I had horrible eating issues for two years leading up to my surgery.
My recover was longer than mostmost because I had an allergic reaction to some meds and then I had a swelling issue that required a squad ride to the ER. :(
once those items were dealt with recovery was great..and it was nice to actually get to eat food again.
slowly add foods back in. Each new food is like having for the first time all over again. Give your body time to adjust.
I lost ten pounds the week after surgery and have lost a lot more since. I had a horrible time losing weight before the surgery because of bloat. I would eat a bite of cheese and y weight would go up seven lbs the next day. Crazy!
Hope you heal quickly!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN