Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Fiber

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM
  • 13 Replies
What's your intake?

I started with my coach today and he told me to keep it 15-25 for fiber... but I really had to play around with my macros to get it to 25. Just curious how much fiber do other people intake.
by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no idea but I would bet it's more than that.  My diet is rich in veggies and nuts, I use coconut flour for baking, and I like avocado... I sure don't have a problem with getting enough fiber.

OMGLasersPOWPOW
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:35 PM
I had no idea so I just looked at MFP and today's intake was 26
bluerooffarm
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:18 PM

I usually take in between 30-35.

ERMDK
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:28 PM
That seems low. What's the reasoning behind that number? I thought most people needed more fiber.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl: What's your intake?

I started with my coach today and he told me to keep it 15-25 for fiber... but I really had to play around with my macros to get it to 25. Just curious how much fiber do other people intake.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I usually take in about 40 or so.

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:39 PM
I just googled and the national fiber recommendations are 30 to 38 grams a day for men and 25 grams a day for women between 18 and 50 years old, and 21 grams a day if a woman is 51 and older. Another general guideline is to get 14 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories in your diet. 

The one article I read stated most Americans struggle to reach 15 and too much fiber causes deficiencies in absorption of iron and minerals etc.

It was a struggle because I kept getting in the 30s... but I managed at the end to hit 25 exactly yesterday and today I got 21.

Quoting ERMDK: That seems low. What's the reasoning behind that number? I thought most people needed more fiber.

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:40 PM
This is my normal too

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I usually take in between 30-35.

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Yeah I kept getting 33 to 26 on MFP

Quoting OMGLasersPOWPOW: I had no idea so I just looked at MFP and today's intake was 26
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Exactly... I had to really work on this because I guess my normal diet is high in fiber.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I have no idea but I would bet it's more than that.  My diet is rich in veggies and nuts, I use coconut flour for baking, and I like avocado... I sure don't have a problem with getting enough fiber.

ERMDK
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Good to know! Thanks.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl: I just googled and the national fiber recommendations are 30 to 38 grams a day for men and 25 grams a day for women between 18 and 50 years old, and 21 grams a day if a woman is 51 and older. Another general guideline is to get 14 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories in your diet. 

The one article I read stated most Americans struggle to reach 15 and too much fiber causes deficiencies in absorption of iron and minerals etc.

It was a struggle because I kept getting in the 30s... but I managed at the end to hit 25 exactly yesterday and today I got 21.

Quoting ERMDK: That seems low. What's the reasoning behind that number? I thought most people needed more fiber.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)