Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Making a lifestyle change and need some help

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

I am finally at a point in my life where I need to make a change.  I have gained 100lbs since high school 10 years ago.  My family is constantly telling me that I do not take care of myself and I have come to the conclusion that they are right.  My focus is never on myself.  I am a mom, student, and I work full time.  I also make cakes on the side from time to time for special events for friends and family.  I am super busy.  I am also trying to fix up my new house in my spare time.  My fiance and I are fixing up the basement to make it into a small workout room. I have tried different diets and exercise routines but cannot seem to stick with anything.  I do not expect to lose weight overnight (although it would be nice, lol).  What is the best advice you have for someone who is trying to lose a lot of weight? 

Thank you!

by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:04 PM
First off: welcome to the group!
Second: Make small goals and they will be easier to stick to...such as to lose 5 lbs per month or to drink 8 glasses of water daily.
Third: Don't expect miracles. You did not gain weight overnight and it will not come off overnight...bummer, I know. Believe in yourself. You are worth being happy and healthy.
As far as diet goes: focus on eating lots of produce, lean proteins, and drinking water.
Exercise: Just move...walking is a great start...cardio,strength, and flexibility all work together and are easy to incorporate into your day: situps,pushups, lunges,planks to name a few.
You can do it! :-)
OMGLasersPOWPOW
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 5:09 PM
Calories in, calories out. Keeping track of every thing you put in your mouth, and every exercise you do is in my experience the best way to make a lifestyle change.
Apps/websites like my fitness pal, spark people, etc are awesome. You put in how much you weigh, your goal, and your normal level activity throughput the day (not including exercise), and it tells you how many calories you should be eating a day to reach your goal.
When you add in your exercise, you get more calories you can (and should) eat.

There is also an awesome encouraging community. Some random person added me to his friends list and everytime I document a weight loss or exercise he comments congratulating me. No idea who this person is but it makes me feel good! LOL

It's so easy to track the calories too because nearly everything is alreadyin the database.

Good luck! You CAN do it if you really want it and it sounds like you do!!!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 30, 2014 at 6:38 AM

Welcome and good luck!  These ladies have some great advice:)

aec14
by New Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Hi!

I'm a mom of 2, and with my last pregnancy I gained more than 40 pounds (my baby was born the past year).

I had a hard time losing all the baby weight until I found out how important was eating healthy, that helped me a lot and now I only have a couple of pounds to lose to get to my ideal weight. 

On January, I started this journey of eating clean and being healthy, and it has made a huge difference in my weight, my energy levels and my health in general.

If you want, I can help you understand how clean eating works, meal planning, portion control, etc.

My email is anaecarvalhobb@yahoo.com.

Good luck with your new lifestyle!

fitmomma83
by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Hi! It all starts with your eating habits, try to eat as clean as possible! Drink LOTS of water!! Start exercising at your comfort level and then just keep kicking it up, also a support system is crucial! If you are on facebook you can add me as a friend my link is https://www.facebook.com/ambertj.75470 or on istagram @amberj6. I post allot of motivational stuff and I run accountability groups, it helps so much having someone to hold you accountable. Good luck and if you need any help let me know! YOU can do it :)

Outnumbered.321
by New Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 2:35 AM

Up your water intake. I go to the gym. Take cadio classes then on my off days i work out with my husband.Swimming laps for me is relaxing but uses all kinds of energy. and I just started Yoga. I am also doing Weight watchers. Mainly to be held accountable.Wake up super early to do your workouts before the kiddos wake up. It makes you feel better. I post stuff all the time in my house, on pinterest, on FB to help motivate myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN