• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First time in a gym, advice?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:49 PM
  • 17 Replies
Okay ladies, I took the plunge and bought a gym membership because honestly, I'm not motivated enough to do it at home but I know that after paying the money I'll use it lol.

So! Who has some tips or advice (best machines to use, things of that nature)

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Yay!!  I'm not sure how you feel about it, but some people can be intimidated by the gym.  Don't let yourself be that person!  I would STRONGLY urge you to ask about getting a few sessions with a personal trainer who can show you how to SAFELY use the equipment.  It's important to understand proper form, how to adjust the equipment for your anatomy, how sets and reps work, etc.  Don't be afraid of the weights!!  I love love love the gym, personally.

Here are a few links you might find useful. 

Sparkpeople this will have demos of how to use some of the equipment, along with what part of the body they work.  It's intended for beginners.

Oxygen this is a magazine I LOVE.  It's a really good resource for techniques, workouts, and other good weight training information.

Bodybuilding Another good resource for workouts and info about weight training.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

ninjakids
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:54 PM
I am that person 110%

I am going to ask though about getting a personal trainer to help me out for the first week or two

Quoting musicpisces:

Yay!!  I'm not sure how you feel about it, but some people can be intimidated by the gym.  Don't let yourself be that person!  I would STRONGLY urge you to ask about getting a few sessions with a personal trainer who can show you how to SAFELY use the equipment.  It's important to understand proper form, how to adjust the equipment for your anatomy, how sets and reps work, etc.  Don't be afraid of the weights!!  I love love love the gym, personally.

Here are a few links you might find useful. 

Sparkpeople this will have demos of how to use some of the equipment, along with what part of the body they work.  It's intended for beginners.

Oxygen this is a magazine I LOVE.  It's a really good resource for techniques, workouts, and other good weight training information.

Bodybuilding Another good resource for workouts and info about weight training.

Let us know how it goes for you.

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:19 PM
Yes never be afraid to ask for help. When I started at the gym I was a cardio bunny.... All I did was cardio. But I found out eventually the key to weight loss and getting the ideal body is lifting. I would ask my husband before I left for the gym or look up tutorial videos on bodybuilding.com also I still look up things even if I'm at the gym.
ninjakids
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM
This gym offers wifi so it would be very easy to watch videos and not kill my data

Quoting JerseyAirGurl: Yes never be afraid to ask for help. When I started at the gym I was a cardio bunny.... All I did was cardio. But I found out eventually the key to weight loss and getting the ideal body is lifting. I would ask my husband before I left for the gym or look up tutorial videos on bodybuilding.com also I still look up things even if I'm at the gym.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 6, 2014 at 4:31 AM

Good for you mama...these ladies have great advice!

ItWorksWithNiki
by on Nov. 6, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Best tip is to be comfortable! Don't worry about other people or feel intimidated.. Everyone had their first gym session at one point or another and has been in your shoes! Most gyms offer a one day trainer free to show you the equipment and what not. If you're trying to lose weight before toning, hit up the treadmill or elliptical for some cardio, after about ten mins go to a spot to stretch since you're warmed up, then do some abs and arms and then head back to the treadmill and walk it out for another 25-30 min or so! That will get your heart pumping and metabolism speeding up. 

After a while throw in some squats and lunges to your routine. I have a lot of floor exercises I do too if you message me I can give you some pointers

lapcounter
by on Nov. 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM
Get a trainer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninjakids
by on Nov. 6, 2014 at 3:00 PM
I am getting on for my first day to show me what to do (the have day to day rates)

Quoting lapcounter: Get a trainer.
lapcounter
by on Nov. 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM
I used one for two months, best money every spent.

Quoting ninjakids: I am getting on for my first day to show me what to do (the have day to day rates)

Quoting lapcounter: Get a trainer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bglenn
by New Member on Nov. 6, 2014 at 7:57 PM
The # 1 thing I can tell you is to not be worried that people are watching or judging you. They aren't. Most of my personal training clients tell me they don't like going to the gym because of people watching them. People don't typically watch others. Also get informed with the weight machines! They will be a huge advantage to your weight loss! You have to have a combo of cardio and strength training. Hope that helps! And good for you getting a membership!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)