Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone with an obese child?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:48 AM
  • 15 Replies

So I thought my DD was OK with her weight because she really doesn´t  look fat, so today I went to the CDC page and used their BMI calculator for children and teen and shows she is in the 99%, she is 4 y 11 months old and she is 45 pounds. 

I know they can´t loose weight, since 2 months ago I'm giving her healthier things, the problem is that she doesn´t get too much physical activity, only on weekends or when I'm not working that I take he to the park and we run, play, dance, etc. but most of the days, since I work from 1pm to 9pm, after school she stays at my mom's house and there I know my mom give her sodas and cookies plus the portion sizes are too much.

I'm really worry about this, that for her next well child check up I'll see if her ped can give me the referal for the nutritionist, in the mean time I have no idea how to control her weight, if anyone has gone thru this that can help me with some ideas I'll appreciate it.

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommabear81312
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:02 AM

She does not appear obese to me.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:10 AM

She sure doesn't look obese.  I'd hate to see what they consider normal!  A stick person?

Keep doing what you're doing.  Keep feeding her good healthy foods, keep exercising with her, and she should be fine.

I was told by a pediatrician that some kids ARE a little heavier than others, then they'll go through a growth spurt and slim down.  He said it's a cycle that he sees happen at least twice in childhood.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Try this calculator...I think the other one was way off

http://nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/Calculator.aspx

Pukity
by Noreen on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:28 AM

I really hope so, because every time we go to her appointments she is always between a 60 and 70% which is not the best but is not the worse either and her Dr says she is taller for her age, so those numbers on that calculator scared me a little bit. and yes she has those growth spurts, this year I beleive has happened 3 times, just last week she was eating a lot, but I'll follow your advice and keep what I'm doing.

Thanks

Quoting michiganmom116:

She sure doesn't look obese.  I'd hate to see what they consider normal!  A stick person?

Keep doing what you're doing.  Keep feeding her good healthy foods, keep exercising with her, and she should be fine.

I was told by a pediatrician that some kids ARE a little heavier than others, then they'll go through a growth spurt and slim down.  He said it's a cycle that he sees happen at least twice in childhood.

karlie2
by New Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Your daughter is not obese.
Pukity
by Noreen on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

It's the same one, and I'm getting above 99 percentile. a bmi of 23.7 

I'm not going to stress about this number but just watching more what I give her, and talking to the grandparents to make changes and limit the sugary things, because I know they spoil her and if she wants ice cream, they go for it, if she wants soda, they go for it..  I guess most grandparents do that (LOL) my grandmother did so I know. 

Pukity
by Noreen on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:36 AM

to anyone, but I guess I just will watch more what she east and making sure she doesnt eat to many empty calories and more nutritious things. 

Quoting Mommabear81312:

She does not appear obese to me.

raschwittay
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Not obese!! My son just turned 3 and is 40 lbs. He is solid and as big as a 5 year old. Just watch the junk food intake for health reasons. The doing just fine.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM

How tall is your child?  I put in the numbers, estimated 3 ft. 11 in. for height, and got a BMI of 14.3, the 22nd percentile.

Based on the height and weight entered, the BMI is 14.3, placing the BMI-for-age at the 22nd percentile for girls aged 4 years 11 months. This child has a healthy weight.

Quoting Pukity:

Quoting michiganmom116:

It's the same one, and I'm getting above 99 percentile. a bmi of 23.7 

I'm not going to stress about this number but just watching more what I give her, and talking to the grandparents to make changes and limit the sugary things, because I know they spoil her and if she wants ice cream, they go for it, if she wants soda, they go for it..  I guess most grandparents do that (LOL) my grandmother did so I know. 

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:21 PM

According to the CDC, you cannot determine obesity in children by BMI itself.  To be considered obese a child must have a high BMI for their age (by month) and height, PLUS they must be considered in the obese range as determined by a skinfold test, family history (not only the parents now, but the determination of the parent's as children), or a dietetic health assessment.  Unless your doctor is concerned, you shouldn't be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)