Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips for exercising around the family?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:13 AM
  • 6 Replies

I'm feeling at a loss for trying to find time to get my exercise in.  I try to get up at least an hour before I need to get my son up for school, but the baby (6 weeks tomorrow) likes to wake up around that time.  I can feed him, but he often won't go back to sleep unless I stay in bed and then he's awake when I have to get my son up anyway.  Trying to do anything without him in my arms or baby carrier throughout the day is practically impossible.  Awake and not being held?  Just doesn't happen.  I can leave him to cry for 5 minutes while I take the dogs out, but I can't feel right leaving him to cry for an entire workout.

I try to get up earlier than that and the older two (6 and 3) get up and are expecting me to feed them, play with them, get them ready for the day, or otherwise occupy their time and they won't leave me alone to get a workout in.

DH comes home while I'm getting DS ready for school.  He typically eats with the kids, then gets a quick shower, and off to bed.  Once he's in bed, we need to be quiet or leave the house.  The noise from exercising would be too much, he wouldn't sleep well, and then he's nothing but a bear to be around.

DH then typically gets up about 4pm.  That is also the time that DS gets home from school.  So, between 4 and 6:30 is spent helping DS with his homework while (typically) cooking dinner.  After dinner is spent getting the kids ready for bed and packing up leftovers for DH's lunch.  Get the kids in bed and I spend the next hour helping DH get out the door; packing his lunch, getting the car warmed up, helping him find clothes to wear, etc.  He gets out the door about 9pm and then I have to feed the animals, take the dogs out, get the kitchen cleaned up, etc.  By then it is about 10pm if baby hasn't demanded to be held for hours on end.

While I haven't tried to workout at night, it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.  The exercise gets the blood flowing and gives me so much energy that I imagine I would need significant down time before I would be able to get some sleep.

I've considered a gym membership, but I've never been to a gym in my life and have no clue what I would look for in a "good" gym.  Also, due to DH's schedule, I have a very, very narrow window in which I could go because he would have to watch the kids.  It is a minimum of 20 minutes to anywhere.  To top it off, that very narrow window is when we try to get in any family activities, to include DS's cub scouts.

And while I won't write it off completely, I'm not too fond of the idea of simply getting out of the house and walking.  I'm a southern transplant to Wisconsin and walking in teen temperatures (wind chill in single digits) with a toddler and a newborn just does not appeal to me.  And it is only going to get worse as the winter progresses.

I just feel like there is a barrier to every possible opportunity.  The only time I can seem to get anything done is when DH has a day off.  He'll occupy the baby, but the older ones keep getting in his face about what they can do and he keeps telling them they have to wait until I'm done.  Listening to that for my entire workout simply gets me frustrated and makes me want to shut off my videos.

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Emren0316
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Would you be able to do a more low key workout like Pilates etc. while your youngest and hubby are napping/ sleeping? Also I have a friend that moves her car out of the garage and does her work out there. It wont be as warm as your house but its better than outside.  Hope this helps! Great job for looking at ways to stay active!! 

((Hugs and Love))

Emren0316 

SuperEpi
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:33 PM
If you're looking for a gym, we just joined the YMCA and I'm super impressed with their childcare (we're in SoCal). You would want to tour a few of them since each location is very different, but the one we chose even has classes that are suited for moms who want to wear their babies while they work out since your youngest is so little! Also, you can find stroller mama groups depending on where you live - great chance to get outside, although it sounds like it's super cold where you are. Good luck!
ncbirdie
by Robyn on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

We can't even fit the car in the garage right now.  When we moved we rented a dumpster and just tossed a ton of stuff.  Still haven't been able to unpack everything and all that is taking residence in the garage.

I shared this post in Mom Confessions and have gotten a lot of great  tips.

Quoting Emren0316:

Would you be able to do a more low key workout like Pilates etc. while your youngest and hubby are napping/ sleeping? Also I have a friend that moves her car out of the garage and does her work out there. It wont be as warm as your house but its better than outside.  Hope this helps! Great job for looking at ways to stay active!! 

((Hugs and Love))

Emren0316 

cblzmomma
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I used to wear my baby in her carrier & do laps through the house,& I would also do stair steps sometimes
kristy95
by on Dec. 7, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Spend 30 of the 60 minutes you spend getting your husband ready for work on exercise. He can handle it himself. This is about you and making time for your health. Good luck
Emren0316
by on Dec. 8, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Glad you found some helpful tips! =) 

((Hugs and Love))

Emren0316 

Quoting ncbirdie:

We can't even fit the car in the garage right now.  When we moved we rented a dumpster and just tossed a ton of stuff.  Still haven't been able to unpack everything and all that is taking residence in the garage.

I shared this post in Mom Confessions and have gotten a lot of great  tips.

Quoting Emren0316:

((Hugs and Love))

Emren0316 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)