Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*SHOCKING* news- Dr. Oz is a quack

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:55 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

http://qz.com/315813/research-confirms-it-dr-oz-dispenses-a-lot-of-medical-advice-with-no-scientific-grounding/

Research confirms it: Dr. Oz dispenses a lot of medical advice with no scientific grounding

A new study in the British Medical Journal has made official something many have argued for a long time: the advice Dr. Oz gives on his famous American television show can be dangerous to follow.

Researchers randomly selected 40 episodes of The Dr. Oz Show and evaluated the recommendations that its star, Mehmet Oz, gives in each one. The majority of his suggestions involve dietary advice, but he also promotes alternative therapies and other things of questionable veracity. They found that only 46% of his claims were corroborated by science, while 36% were found to have no supporting evidence—and 15% were directly contradicted by scientific evidence.

In other words, more than half of what Oz propagates is drivel.

Though this won’t come as a shock to some, there are still millions of people who watch his show. A subset of those viewers actually follow his medical advice.

What makes the study findings all the more disappointing is that Oz is a real doctor, and his resume is extremely impressive. He went to Harvard, got his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania, and has been a distinguished professor of surgery at Columbia since 2001. By all accounts, he is an expert on cardiothoracic surgery. The study suggests he may want to stop talking about dubious weight-loss schemes and stick to surgery.

In June, Oz was grilled by member of Congress at a hearing about false advertising for weight-loss products. Senator Claire McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat, essentially accused him of taking advantage of ignorant and vulnerable people. “I don’t get why you need to say this stuff because you know it’s not true,” she said. She also said what he was doing was a “recipe for disaster.”

We’ve reached out to Oz’s press representatives for a comment on the new study and will update this post as warranted.

The study, by researchers from the University of Alberta and the University of British Columbia, also analyzed the popular show The Doctors, and found that it was similarly bogus. But shows like The Dr. Oz Show and The Doctors are so ingrained into the American entertainment-industrial complex that a study like this, however helpful in validating longtime assumptions, is unlikely to convince most people to stop watching.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a06z08mama
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:56 PM
He was in court for his false claims a while back.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 20, 2014 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, they mentioned that in the article, and I remember seeing stuff about that here.  I am shocked it took that long for that to happen.  He makes so many unbelievable claims.  Such a sell-out.  Sadly, too many people don't know the difference.

Quoting a06z08mama: He was in court for his false claims a while back.

Suzanne

Saphira1207
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I agree with this study.

I will say this as a caveat though - he did manage to convince a long time anti-veggie guy I know to eat them and learn to like them.  Not even having a child managed to do that.

So while most of what he says is drivel, he has had his good moments too.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM

My MIL loves him.  Drives me nuts.  I hope this gets widely published.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Dec. 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM

There was a period of time where I spent a significant amount of time trying to explain how false his various health claims are to my MIL.  

Doing my part to spread the word!  :)  Lord knows we've spent time discussing this in this group!

eye rolling

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Suzanne

a06z08mama
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:29 PM
One of my coworkers fell for his one last spring 'where you can eat whatever you want and don't have to exercise and it will come off' pill. Sadly, she has put on more weight since then. you can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink.

Quoting musicpisces:

Yeah, they mentioned that in the article, and I remember seeing stuff about that here.  I am shocked it took that long for that to happen.  He makes so many unbelievable claims.  Such a sell-out.  Sadly, too many people don't know the difference.

Quoting a06z08mama: He was in court for his false claims a while back.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Yep.  My MIL as shelling out 40 bucks a month for some kind of "belly fat blaster" that Dr Oz told her would trim her down fast without any diet change whatsoever!  Something with green tea in it.  Her real doctor asked her to stop.  He was certain she was going to start having heart palpitations.  SMH!  People are desperate and he's making money off of them.

Quoting musicpisces:

There was a period of time where I spent a significant amount of time trying to explain how false his various health claims are to my MIL.  

Doing my part to spread the word!  :)  Lord knows we've spent time discussing this in this group!

eye rolling

Quoting bluerooffarm:

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Dec. 21, 2014 at 8:28 AM
He's such a sell out. The second anyone trying to lose weight starts with "Well, Dr. Oz said..." I stop listening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoseWall
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 8:52 AM
this is not the first time i wonder who is funding reasearch Against alternative remedies.
maybe its the same entities that tell me We Should get a flu shot.
its all about the money
i am not an fan of his by the way.
sure i like him. .the same as i do the one called house.
i find them both entertaining and they make me think.
what's not to like?
ccandjoey0224
by Member on Dec. 22, 2014 at 2:40 PM
I enjoyed the show until I realized how he was basically just pushing one product after another on his viewers and making money from the pharmaceutical companies for doing so. Preying on the sick, overweight or elderly is wrong no matter how u go about it DR OZ!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)