Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with whole wheat flour bread machine recipes?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:28 PM
  • 13 Replies
It is so hard for me to find bread machine recipes that call for only whole wheat flour. And the ones I have found that work are plain bread recipes. I would like to make garlic or cheese bread without having to add white flour.

Is there a whole wheat flour trick, or a place with interesting recipes? The couple I have found were a basic bread recipe, and a cinnamon raisin one. Both from 100 days of real food. Thanks for any help. :)
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Check this group out to see what you can find, and feel free to ask again in there.  I'll do what I can to find what you want.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109100

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm searching for my challah recipe (egg bread).  Be back in a bit.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:53 PM

you're better off to spread a garlic spread on the bread rather than add it to the dough.  For some reason the bread doesn't rise as well when garlic is in it....or so it's said.

Cukimonster
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:54 PM
Thanks! I didn't even think to look for a group for this. I'll see what they have. :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

Check this group out to see what you can find, and feel free to ask again in there.  I'll do what I can to find what you want.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109100

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Challah.  Makes 1 pound.

layer in this order:  1/2c water, 2 large eggs, 2Tblspn EVoo, 2c whole wheat flour, 1Tbsp maple sugar (or white sugar, or crystalized honey), 3/4teaspoon salt, 1.25 teaspoons yeast, 1 Tablespoons of seeds (I like ground flax, or sesame)  Program for whole wheat.

Cukimonster
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:58 PM
Ah I didn't know that. My cousin makes a lot of bread. But he uses the bread flour. He adds real garlic, but he adds it while the bread is mixing. I tried and got a hard loaf lol. He said it's becuase the bread machine is strict about recipes and using bread flour. I don't know. But that would explain why I can't find any recipes for it lol. Thanks.

Quoting michiganmom116:

you're better off to spread a garlic spread on the bread rather than add it to the dough.  For some reason the bread doesn't rise as well when garlic is in it....or so it's said.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Seeded Honey Whole Wheat.

1 pound loaf.

7/8c water, 1.5tablespoons EVOO, 3 Tablespoons liquid honey, 1.5 c Whole wheat flour, 3/4teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon yeast,  When the machine beeps for add-ins add...1/4c sunflower seeds, 4teaspoons sesame seeds, and 2 teaspoons ground flax seeds.

Cukimonster
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:59 PM
Thank you! I'm updating my shopping list as I type. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Challah.  Makes 1 pound.

layer in this order:  1/2c water, 2 large eggs, 2Tblspn EVoo, 2c whole wheat flour, 1Tbsp maple sugar (or white sugar, or crystalized honey), 3/4teaspoon salt, 1.25 teaspoons yeast, 1 Tablespoons of seeds (I like ground flax, or sesame)  Program for whole wheat.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:00 PM

You don't have to put the seeds in, it'll work without them.  I forgot to type that!

Quoting Cukimonster: Thank you! I'm updating my shopping list as I type. :)
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Challah.  Makes 1 pound.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

This was our favorite for whole wheat bread....add cheese cubes or shreds to it at the end of the mixing, if you want.

Supermoist Wheat Bread

• 1/2 c. warm water
  • 1/3 c. warm milk
  • 6 Tbsp. plain yogurt (can be Greek)
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
  • 2 Tbsp. instant mashed potato flakes
  • 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
  • 1 Tbsp. wheat germ
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3 c. whole wheat bread flour (I used stone ground whole wheat flour, not necessarily for bread, and the bread turned out great!)
  • 1 tsp. active dry or instant yeast

Place all ingredients in bread pan in order listed.  Select Basic cycle (yes, Basic) and desired crust setting, or use dough setting. Press start.  If using dough setting, remove dough after the cycle ends and form into a loaf.  Let rise in greased bread pan and bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes.

Amount Per Serving 
Calories: 113.5 
Total Fat: 2.4 g 
Cholesterol: 4.3 mg 
Sodium: 18.3 mg 
Total Carbs: 20.4 g 
Dietary Fiber: 3.3 g 
Protein: 4.2 g

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)