Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

carbs

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:03 PM
  • 9 Replies
Ok so when it comes to carbs, what is low, high or a suggested good amount for everyday?

Our angel was born to heaven on 1/10/2014 at 14wks 3days.

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Depends on you.

Most nutritionists recommend 130g/day regardless of metabolic state or level of activity.

I am diabetic, I cannot tolerate that many carbs unless I'm on vials of insulin every day.  I prefer to stick to 60g carbs/day or less and let my body use fats for fuel for the rest of what it needs for energy.

Some people do well on 20 - 30g carbs or less....LCHF diet.

Some people prefer to maintain weight on 80 to 100g of carbs a day.

Carb_Curve_color.jpg

M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Is that net carbs or total carbs?

Quoting michiganmom116:

Depends on you.

Most nutritionists recommend 130g/day regardless of metabolic state or level of activity.

I am diabetic, I cannot tolerate that many carbs unless I'm on vials of insulin every day.  I prefer to stick to 60g carbs/day or less and let my body use fats for fuel for the rest of what it needs for energy.

Carb_Curve_color.jpg

stcy79
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:43 PM
So when I'm looking at a label how do i know what is a good carb or bad. ?

quote name="michiganmom116" id="0"]

Depends on you.

Carb_Curve_color.jpg

[/quote]

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Whatever you choose.  I go by net carbs.

Quoting M4LG5:

Is that net carbs or total carbs?

Quoting michiganmom116:

Depends on you.

Carb_Curve_color.jpg

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:06 PM

IMO, if the food has a label then it shouldn't be eaten  LOL  I go for whole foods, although some of those even have nutritional labels.  IMO a good carb source is also packed with natural nutrition, such as those found in veggies, fruits, nuts, etc.  A bad carb source is one that is enriched with nutrients, if it has any at all.  You also don't want the grams of sugar on the label to be the same or only slightly lower than the total carb count.  Fruit may be the exception. 

Find the book "Good Carbs Bad Carbs" by Gary Taubes.  Some very important info in there.

Quoting stcy79: So when I'm looking at a label how do i know what is a good carb or bad. ? quote name="michiganmom116" id="0"]

Depends on you.

Carb_Curve_color.jpg

[/quote]

stcy79
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:12 PM
Thank you, im going to look for that book.

Quoting michiganmom116:

IMO, if the food has a label then it shouldn't be eaten  LOL  I go for whole foods, although some of those even have nutritional labels.  IMO a good carb source is also packed with natural nutrition, such as those found in veggies, fruits, nuts, etc.  A bad carb source is one that is enriched with nutrients, if it has any at all.  You also don't want the grams of sugar on the label to be the same or only slightly lower than the total carb count.  Fruit may be the exception. 

Find the book "Good Carbs Bad Carbs" by Gary Taubes.  Some very important info in there.

Quoting stcy79: So when I'm looking at a label how do i know what is a good carb or bad. ?

quote name="michiganmom116" id="0"]

Depends on you.

Carb_Curve_color.jpg

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:06 PM
I strive to stay around 60 net carbs.

A net carb is total carbs minus fiber.
mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:18 PM
I'm glad you posted that because I was wondering what the difference was.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: I strive to stay around 60 net carbs.

stcy79
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:53 PM
Now is that because fiber is a good carb that is easily digested?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: I strive to stay around 60 net carbs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)