Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Mind, Healthy Body

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:23 AM
  • 51 Replies

A healthy mind as just as important as a healthy body. 
Relaxation is a process that decreases the effects of stress on your mind and body. Relaxation techniques are a great way to help with stress management.
Often times when you are stressed and tense, it is easy to give in to your cravings or emotional/stress eating. When you are relaxed it is easier to consider the ramifications of giving in to your cravings and it is easier to say no to them.

The Benefits of relaxation techniques are:

• Slowing your heart rate
  • Lowering blood pressure
  • Slowing your breathing rate
  • Increasing blood flow to major muscles
  • Reducing muscle tension
  • Improving concentration
  • Reducing frustration/anger
  • Boosting confidence
  • Helps you avoid cravings
  • Weight Loss

There are many types of relaxation techniques. Choose whatever best fits your interest and lifestyle.

Common relaxation techniques are:

• Hypnosis
  • Massage
  • Visualization
  • Meditation
  • Progressive muscle relaxation (focus on slowly tensing and then relaxing each muscle group)
  • Tai chi
  • Autogenic relaxation (relaxation that comes from within using visual imagery and body awareness)
  • Yoga

What are some of your favorite relaxing techniques?

How often do you take leisurely/relaxing time to yourself?

What do you like to do to relax.

celebrity

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:57 AM
I have been doing this every night before bed and it's helping me sleep better and I wake up feeling refreshed!!
sarah824
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:59 AM

I don't get a lot of time to relax, but when I do I like to read. It helps to take my mind off of whatever I am dealing with.

la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I try to take some time for myself daily or I feel out of sorts. Listening to music, reading and tea help me relax. I've found breathing, counting and jotting down lists (of things to tackle) or writing down worries has helped

hillmom
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:00 PM
I need to do this more. When I'm preparing for birth I focus on sending a wave of relaxation throughout my whole body. I need to continue that practice!
delmobaby
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:01 PM
I do yoga a couple times a week. When I have spare time I like to relax with a good book
ProudMeof2
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:02 PM

I don't really have any relaxing techniques. I rarely take anytime to myself but once in awhile I will get a pedicure. That's relaxing.

diaperstodating
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM
I used to do yoga once a week at the gym. I find time to relax daily. I read, watch movies, take a nap, listen go music... it varies.
heldcaptiveby2
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:24 PM
By the time my head hits the pillow, I am out.
I really need to try to remember to do this.
stcy79
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:35 PM
I dont have anything special that i do but if it's been a stressful day is usury because my young boys have been fighting like crazy, lol So as soon as they fall asleep I feel relaxed.

Our angel was born to heaven on 1/10/2014 at 14wks 3days.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:46 PM

I really don't relax too much. I guess I just plunk myself down at the computer if I want to unwind, but I'm usually doing something not-so-relaxing if I'm on here. I guess stressed out is just my norm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)