Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What style of swimsuit to buy for swimming lessons.

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:26 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm 27 and taking swimming lessons for the first time in my life.  I want to learn to swim so I can feel confident around the water and take my son to the beach without fear.

Is there a particular style or kind of suit that is best when I'm learning?   Class starts Sunday.

by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:02 PM
Whatever you're comfortable in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe MichelleP
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:27 PM
2 moms liked this

When I swim laps or do any water workouts I wear a Speedo racing suit. Here is a picture of one similar to the one I wear.

by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Get a Speedo brand suit.  I have been swimming for most of my life for fitness and I have never found a better brand than Speedo.  They tend to run about 2-3 sizes smaller than your dress size. My daughter wears a size 4 dress but wears a size 10 suit so keep that in mind.  BTW, GOOD FOR YOU!  I just taught my middle and adopted child to swim at age 18 and he loves it!

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Well I had my first swimming lesson on Sunday.  It was wonderful. 

I arrived at the large swimming pool hall at the university at 8 in the morning.   Yes 8 on a Sunday.  I emerged from the dressing room in my new Black speedo swimming suit.  Thank you to Meg at the sports shop as she helped me select two suits.   She showed me the different leg heights and suits with different straps on the backs. 

I was the only person in the swimming hall.  I peered at the water but stood back waiting for my instructor. 

My instructor arrived.  His name is Jason and he is on the university team.  He can't be more than 19 or 20.

He removed his sweats and top to reveal a very very athletic physique in a his tiny team suit with great pecs!!!

He helped me stretch my swimming cap over my scrunched up hair and chuckled that it will keep the hair out of my eyes but not so much keeping it dry.  He dove in and then encouraged me to come to the side of the pool and sit at the edge.   I put my legs in and kicked the water.  Within a few minutes I slipped in and Jason had me holdng the wall and kicking.   Walked in the water, put my face in the water, blew bubbles.  Next  thing I new I was taught how to float on my back.  The 50 minutes passed quickly.

Thank you Jason from a really appreciate mom. 

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:15 AM

That's awesome you're learning something new and it never hurts to look at some nice eye candy!  

by on Feb. 28, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Can't wait for my next swimming lesson on Sunday.

by on Feb. 28, 2015 at 3:51 PM

thats awesome!!

I took lessons as a kid but honestly I'm a terrible swimmer. SO was a swim instructor, I've thought about having him re-teach me but I'm kind of embarrased.

by Noreen on Feb. 28, 2015 at 7:37 PM

good for you!  sounds that you are having fun! I want to learn too, I found a swimming school for kids and they do the mommy and me stuff, but DD is to old for that, but they can teach her, I just have to find an instructor patient enought to deal with my nervousness.

by on Mar. 1, 2015 at 1:41 PM

Had lesson #2 today!  Was a big production and I was nervous.  I found myself smoking outside the university pool building before I went for my lesson.   My 18 yo niece tagged along to babysit my 7 yo son in the pool gallery.   Last time I didn't know what to expect.

Wanted to find out if I would wear a touch of makeup for swimming.  Well my niece is quite the expert.  We took a trip to the drug store to purchase water proof makeup products.  First some moisturizer and then a little concealer.  Niece applied a nice shade to lip stain  Use the same lip stain to tint my cheeks.  I tried a touch of green eyeliner which my niece tells me looks good in the water.   And then a super mascara. I was ready.   Felt more confident with the makeup since never go anywhere wthout my makeup bag.

My niece is 2ndyear swimmer on the same university team my instructor swims on.  Jason turns out to be 21 and an engineering student heading to grad school.  My niece tells me he attracts lots of mermaids.  I asked her if all the men swimmers wear such tiny suits.  She said most of the time.  She said the water polo guys are here favs.  Egan my 7 year old was clapping a lot during my lesson.  This time Jason taught me glide and kick in the water.  He showed me how to lift my arms and I started to begin to move forward albeit very nervously.  Well going to continue with the crawl next week.

And this was so incredible.  I found out the pool has no shallow end.  All the time I have been learning I have been learning in 11 feet of water.   I think I only paniced and splashed a few times today.

Here I am a doctoral student getting so excited about something I should have done when I was 6.

by on Mar. 1, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Oh here is the website I used to help me with my swim makeup.  It is wonderful and so easy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)