Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

too many carbs!

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 4:58 PM
  • 17 Replies
I have no idea how people eat low carb. I am just trying to follow what my fitnesspal says I need to eat and I am always so far over with carbs. Calorie wise I do well but carbs will be the death of me. I'm eating a ton more veggies and fruits and eating smaller portions. I am never awake enough in the morning to really cook so I tend to eat oatmeal. And then at dinner if I skip carbs I end up so hungry that I binge on crap late at night. What do you ladies eat? Any other advice?
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Feb. 27, 2015 at 6:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

I'm down to 50 to 70 grams of carbs a day... to put that in perspective I have low carb bread and fill my carb intake with fruits and veggies. I do high fat protein and low carbs. I am hungry in the night so I save my meals for those times.
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 6:21 PM
2 moms liked this

It's VERY easy.  Don't eat much fruit, don't eat grains/cereal/bread, nothing with sugar, be very careful with starchy veggies like potatoes, corn, peas, cooked dry beans, winter squash.  Other veggies such as tomatoes, carrots, asparagus and a few others are also significant sources of carbs if you want to eat VERY low carb.  I'm not saying to not eat those veggies, but be careful of the portion sizes.

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:53 PM

I've been finding alternatives to my old carb meals.  Like Romaine Lettuce instead of tortillas.  We make noodles with a veggie spiraler and zucchini rather than wheat pasta.  Cauliflower for rice or made into a crust for pizza, etc.

Hope that gives you some good ideas.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 28, 2015 at 6:08 AM

Try to fill up on protein like eggs, chicken, beef, turkey, cheese, etc.  That will help.  Good luck!

MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Feb. 28, 2015 at 6:20 AM
Protein will fill you up for longer NOT carbs. Carbs turn to sugar and sugar turns to fat. The real question is that carb worth feeling uncomfortable in your own body?
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2015 at 6:27 AM

For breakfast, since you don't feel like cooking, why not hard boil a dozen eggs?  Then it's just peel & eat in the morning; add some cheese and a mug of veggie juice (10g. carbs per serving) You can also make a frittata (eggs, veggies, cheese, meat if you want) that will keep pretty well and just reheat in the mornings.  Scrambled eggs muffins (mini frittatas) also reheat nicely.

Plan meals so that you spread your carbs out throughout the day.  That way you're not meeting your goal early on in the day and then have to skip carbs.  Think fats and protein first, then veggies (for the fiber and loads of nutrition), then carbs.

It sounds like you need more healthy fats to help provide energy and cut the hunger pangs at night.  Fat bombs are a delicious way to get what you need.

ame4c
by on Feb. 28, 2015 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
My fitness pal doesn't recognize Net carbs. My DR says to calculate net carbs you take total carbs and subtract the fiber and 1/2 the sugar alcohol. These are carbs that your body does not absorb and are passed. Now if your not eating healthy carbs this will not drop your Net carbs much.

Not all carbs are bad for you. You need a good amount of fiber a day and to get that you have to eat carbs. You just have to make sure you are eating the correct ones.
ame4c
by on Feb. 28, 2015 at 7:33 AM
I love the zucchini noodles. I wish I could eat lettuce but it makes me sick.

Quoting mybratsmom:

I've been finding alternatives to my old carb meals.  Like Romaine Lettuce instead of tortillas.  We make noodles with a veggie spiraler and zucchini rather than wheat pasta.  Cauliflower for rice or made into a crust for pizza, etc.

Hope that gives you some good ideas.

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2015 at 7:45 AM

Quoting ame4c: My fitness pal doesn't recognize Net carbs. My DR says to calculate net carbs you take total carbs and subtract the fiber and 1/2 the sugar alcohol. These are carbs that your body does not absorb and are passed. Now if your not eating healthy carbs this will not drop your Net carbs much. Not all carbs are bad for you. You need a good amount of fiber a day and to get that you have to eat carbs. You just have to make sure you are eating the correct ones.

I totally agree about the net carbs!  She doesn't need to eat carb heavy foods like grains and dry beans, though, like a LOT of people believe.  A person can get plenty of fiber from nuts, flax seeds, veggies, and fruits, and things naturally low in carbs like foods made with coconut flour.  I get FAR more fiber on my low-carb paleo/primal diet than I ever did when eating whole grains, etc.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Feb. 28, 2015 at 9:45 AM

My diet is 50% fat, 30% protein, 20% carbs. I also calculate net carbs vs total. I really dislike My Fitness Pal, because you can't specifically customize for Paleo, Atkins or South Beach. 

I would never eat oatmeal. I limit my fruit to berries, and I don't eat those every day. I also don't  necessarily eat small portions, people are often shocked at the amount of food I eat. I can eat all day long, and still stay under 80 net carbs per day. Meat, eggs, butter and hard cheese are your friends. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)