Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Struggling with weightloss

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 5:12 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hello,

I know this story is probably a common one, but I'd like to share my story.

I am 22, and a single mom. Well, I say single because my fiance and I are not yet married, and my DD is not his child. 

I've struggled with my weight for a long time. I always thought when I was young that I was 'fat' because I was always a size or two bigger then my friends (Come to find out when I was a kid, and young teen, I just had a larger bone structure, which was found out through X-rays) So I hated myself a lot for it, which cause a myriad of problems.

At 16, I was diagnosed with Bipolar, which I found later that I do not have and the doctor was not qualified to diagnose me with. I was put on a medication that caused a rapid weight gain. I gained about 100lbs in less then one year. When I switched doctors and was taken off the medication I had gone from 130lbs (my weight at 16) to 250lbs by age 18. My doctor had me go to a few professionals, to find that I was not bipolar, I just had mild depression, along with anxiety and abandonment issues. Well, at that point I kind of gave up. I couldnt move well due to joint pain from rapid weight gain, and I had NO energy what-so-ever. Now I am 22, and now weight 300lbs (Which I HATE).

About 6 months ago I was closer to 350lbs, but because of my joint issues keeping me from being the mom I want to be, I finally found the motivation to try and loose the weight. My biggest issue is most of this weight is not from being 'Lazy' or 'Over eating'. Some of it is from laziness, after I gave up, but I have never really been an over eater. Actually, I under eat a little to much, which I know accounts for some of the weight gain as well, due to my body storing the fats. 

Well what I am trying to get at, is while yes I have more energy and I am working hard to loose the weight, my doctor thinks that exercise and diet may not be enough, due to my thyroid being messed up from the medication I was on as a teen. She is thinking of looking into a few different surgeries to help. When she mentioned gastric bypass, I was in shock, as well as scared. She also mentions a couple others but I cannot remember the names, but she told me even though I don't eat in excess, it may help to loose weight.

I am considering it but I am beyond scared. I want to do it while my DD is still young, and I have people who are willing to help take care of her while I recover from that, as well as the skin removal which I will have to get once the weight is gone. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice that may help in the long run? 

by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
krudell
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:07 PM

What kind of exercise have you been doing and what kind of foods have you been eating? I ask this because I know someone that was in the same situation for the most part, at least with surgery being her last resort and she started a workout program and clean eating and was able to lose weight and not need the surgery. 

I would love to talk to you and get to know you more :) Feel free to message me or even email me at kayceelou.coach@gmail.com.

ChrysAsh
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:29 PM

I've been eating an array of veggies, and fruits, Chicken mostly for meat because I really dislike most meats. I have cut down on foods high is carbs, like breads. I also do not eat pre-packaged foods anymore, I cook all my meals, and base them off of a healthy caloric intake. On Exercise, I walk a large hill every other day and do somewere around 25-50 sit ups daily, as well as playing with my daughter. (I lift her in the air like weights, she loves it, and it gives me a work out) Other then that not much, my Doctor doesnt want me doing anything to strenuous because my joint issues are getting worse, and I may end up needing a knee replacment if I do not take it easy.

Quoting krudell:

What kind of exercise have you been doing and what kind of foods have you been eating? I ask this because I know someone that was in the same situation for the most part, at least with surgery being her last resort and she started a workout program and clean eating and was able to lose weight and not need the surgery. 

I would love to talk to you and get to know you more :) Feel free to message me or even email me at kayceelou.coach@gmail.com.

krudell
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:56 PM

Have you tried clean eating? Do you think you could do Yoga at all? Or would that be hard on your knees?

ChrysAsh
by on Mar. 5, 2015 at 12:04 AM

Yoga is a no go, Joints will not have it, and Yes I have tried clean eating. My doctor suggested against it after the first two months because I was getting very ill. 

Quoting krudell:

Have you tried clean eating? Do you think you could do Yoga at all? Or would that be hard on your knees?

melissa132523
by on Mar. 5, 2015 at 8:05 AM

Omnitrition can help you lose .5 to 1 lbs a day or even more, without exercising.  There are many people on this program with thyroid issues.  The Omni drops

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)