Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Skewed perception? Idk..

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:44 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm starting to think I might have an issue with how I see myself.    I am technically the lowest weight I have ever been.  I still look chubby to me.  I feel like I would have to drop another 15 lbs to not look chubby, and by then my ribs would be able to double as a deli slicer. I'm not doing it.

I feel disproportionate and disheartened, esp after seeing a pic my family too of me from behind.  I thought I was thin before I had DD2, and I was a little heavier then (with lower body fat, though).  I wonder if I thought I was thinner than what I actually was because I used to be obese?  

I feel like I can't trust what I see.  I don't actually know if I look "chubby" or not.  My family says I look good, or that I'm "wasting away".  But, they are not honest about things like that..  And, no, they really aren't.  They mean well, but they are definitely the "fake" types.

I am NOT anorexic.  I do not starve myself.  I would rather be healthy than thin, so I eat right, even if I think I look chubby.  I just feel frustrated and confused.

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoseWall
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:45 PM
positive energy your way
Ultrakiwi
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Thank you!

Quoting RoseWall: positive energy your way

bry36
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:43 PM

1st off when I was younger I gained alot and kept it on for several yrs even before I was thin but chubby you know 15 pound over weight but not heavy. When I finally got fit everyone friends and family  said I looked sick or asked me if I was eating ummm yes I mean so much that I thought I looked awful and tired to gain weight and ended up gaining alot back . Now looking back I hate that I let them discourage me I was healthy eating right and I think it was their issue because they had never seen me in great shape before so yes I looked different that was their problem not mine . have confidence no matter what you look like that you are making changes for a healthier life and try not to let their nay saying discourage you as long as you know you are being healthy and not playing with your health in a negative way your  the only one that needs to be happy about it .

As far as not trusting what you see that can be normal as well it can take longer for your mind to catch up with your new body so you do have to realize you need a realistic view of your body image .sometimes friends and family can be to close and want to make you feel good but they can also be thinking they are doing that and be hurting as well even if not done on purpose .do you wan tot post a pic and get outside opinions not that you have to of course but it might help to get people who don't know you or didst know the before opinion I think most woman on here would be kind and tell you if you are fine going fo the 15 or if you are to thin and need to gain definition that sort of thing .

Ultrakiwi
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:00 PM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

I feel my issue may just be how I am built. If I lose 15 more, I will be down to 103. My hip and ribs are already prominent, and I STILL look chubby. I don't think I am willing to look both bony AND chubby at 103. Lol
I am aware that I have big thighs, too. I see that as a "need more muscle" issue

Quoting bry36:

1st off when I was younger I gained alot and kept it on for several yrs even before I was thin but chubby you know 15 pound over weight but not heavy. When I finally got fit everyone friends and family  said I looked sick or asked me if I was eating ummm yes I mean so much that I thought I looked awful and tired to gain weight and ended up gaining alot back . Now looking back I hate that I let them discourage me I was healthy eating right and I think it was their issue because they had never seen me in great shape before so yes I looked different that was their problem not mine . have confidence no matter what you look like that you are making changes for a healthier life and try not to let their nay saying discourage you as long as you know you are being healthy and not playing with your health in a negative way your  the only one that needs to be happy about it .

As far as not trusting what you see that can be normal as well it can take longer for your mind to catch up with your new body so you do have to realize you need a realistic view of your body image .sometimes friends and family can be to close and want to make you feel good but they can also be thinking they are doing that and be hurting as well even if not done on purpose .do you wan tot post a pic and get outside opinions not that you have to of course but it might help to get people who don't know you or didst know the before opinion I think most woman on here would be kind and tell you if you are fine going fo the 15 or if you are to thin and need to gain definition that sort of thing .

bry36
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Ok 1st off you Def don't look anorexic or chubby .Yes you look thin and you may see what you call chub as areas you would want to firm and reshape rather than to lose any more inches  . You are def not chubby by any means and I certainly don't see 15 pounds to lose anywhere .

I have a large chest(maybe not as large as yours but big for my smaller rib cage and upper body area 32DD)   too and I think sometimes that skews my view on how big I am on top becasue I see the pushed out ballooned shirt or I bought a top to fit my boobs and it looks like a tent everywhere else so I feel fat or I bought it to fit my body and my boobs are spilling out or  pulling  it up or whatever the case may be so it feels to small which makes me feel like I cant fit into anything sometimes . 

I think  you look awesome 

Liz132
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 9:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you look thin but not an unhealthy thin. You have a very small waist. It looks like you are a healthy weight. It's your choice if you want to keep losing, focus on toning and muscle building, or maintain. Losing 15 more lbs seems like a lot for someone your size, I probably wouldn't set the goal that high if you choose to lose more weight.

Bellatrisque
by Member on Apr. 12, 2015 at 9:12 AM
You look amazing totally jealous of your figure. I agree, woring on muscle tone would probably be the best route to achieve your expected goal.

Quoting Ultrakiwi:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

I feel my issue may just be how I am built. If I lose 15 more, I will be down to 103. My hip and ribs are already prominent, and I STILL look chubby. I don't think I am willing to look both bony AND chubby at 103. Lol
I am aware that I have big thighs, too. I see that as a "need more muscle" issue

Quoting bry36:

donnag013
by on Apr. 12, 2015 at 9:21 AM

It sounds like you have body dysmorphia. You certainly aren't "chubby" in any senseof the word. There might be parts that are smaller than other (hello! Bewbs!) but that doesn't make yoiu chubby. If this feeling persists, I would talk to my doctor about it and get a referral to a counselor.

Amber5151
by Member on Apr. 12, 2015 at 10:07 AM
You look absolutely amazing
Ultrakiwi
by Member on Apr. 12, 2015 at 10:34 AM

I think I may do just that.  No matter where my body is, or how I may look, I will always find something "wrong" .  If I fix one thing, something else sticks out.  I am a perfectionist, and it is like that with everything.  It is now spilling over into my body issues, which I have always had.

Self deprecation gets exhausting, but it feels like that's all I do internally.  I hate hearing compliments in person because they feel like lies to me.  I also feel like I rely too heavily on what other people say to gauge what I actually look like, because I genuinely don't know.  Since I don't like compliments, it usually goes to the meaner ones.  They seem more truthful.

It's easier online.  It's easy to take a pretty selfie and think "I look nice today".  It's different when you see yourself through someone elses camera.  Yikes, no..

Quoting donnag013:

It sounds like you have body dysmorphia. You certainly aren't "chubby" in any senseof the word. There might be parts that are smaller than other (hello! Bewbs!) but that doesn't make yoiu chubby. If this feeling persists, I would talk to my doctor about it and get a referral to a counselor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)