Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm new have a question. ...

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 7:57 AM
  • 18 Replies
I'm trying to get in shape, but I'm over 200 pounds now. I was 190 and gained more weight.

I'm 34 and besides being so grossly overweight, I have cellulite everywhere, really bad on my thighs, I cannot wear shorts in the summer.

The skin on my thighs is also saggy.

I am afraid that if I lose weight that I will look worse and I don't have the money for plastic surgery.

Is this a possibility that my skin could sag even worse upon losing weight?

Is there a way to prevent my skin from further sagging while losing weight?

will the appearance of the cellulite diminish or become worse?

by on May. 5, 2015 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 5, 2015 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Dunno about the cellulite, but skin is elastic.  Give it proper nutrition and hydration while losing weight gradually and give it time.  You may have stretch marks, but your skin will typically shrink, like it does after a woman gives birth.

bigmomma04
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:16 AM
I'm just so afraid of looking worse. I know that sounds vain, but it's a real fear.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Dunno about the cellulite, but skin is elastic.  Give it proper nutrition and hydration while losing weight gradually and give it time.  You may have stretch marks, but your skin will typically shrink, like it does after a woman gives birth.

bigmomma04
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:18 AM
I also have 100 pounds to lose. I'm 4'10, over 200 pounds, we're do I even begin?

Quoting michiganmom116:

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Cellulite is genetic.  I still have some cellulite, but less than when I started.

Where to start begins with your goals.  Personally if I could go back and do it again, I would add in strength training from the very beginning.  I had this idea that I was too fat to lift weights, but muscle burns calories for you.  So build muscles!!  

I chose the calorie counting path and it has worked very well for me.  I've now been on this path for a full year.  I've lost 38 pounds.  I spent a month and a half in maintenance and have decided to lose a bit more.  I use the website myfitnesspal.com to track and log the calories I eat and the exercise I do.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 5, 2015 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

It's a very real fear, especially now that we see Biggest Loser contestants and those with bariatric surgery that have to have sagging skin removed.  However, as I said, do it right, make it gradual, and nourish your skin.

I weighed at my highest 212 lbs.  I am now 143 - 148 depending on my scale's mood.  I have had 5 kids, 3 of them large (9 1/2 to over 10 lbs.) and have plenty of stretch marks from that along with some on my hips.  They do fade, but they'll never entirely disappear.  However, aside from that saggy pouch under my navel, the skin is not loose or saggy.

Quoting bigmomma04: I'm just so afraid of looking worse. I know that sounds vain, but it's a real fear.
Quoting michiganmom116:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 5, 2015 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Clean out your kitchen.  Cut out soda, junk food, sweets, processed foods including bread and cereal...to start.  Toss 'em.  You need plenty of veggies in a huge variety.  Try new things!  Add fresh meats, eggs, fish, nuts, seeds, and a few low glycemic fruits such as berries.  Limit the starchy veggies.  I even eliminated dairy except for cheese every now and then.  Drink half of your weight in water (in oz.), so for you that would be at least 100 oz. a day.

I chose low-carb paleo/primal with plenty of healthy fats for fueling my body.  The weight melts off.

Quoting bigmomma04: I also have 100 pounds to lose. I'm 4'10, over 200 pounds, we're do I even begin?
Quoting michiganmom116:

jen1130
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:57 AM
I have a friend that is a guy...do they let guys on here?

He had the sleeve done he has lost 200 lbs he also is a nurse. Full of info.

He has been over weight his while life. If he is allowed on here or if any one has question I can see if he is willing to answer. He is really a positive person, he always has been.

I was told not by him but someplace I don't remember that the right amount of 2% milk help the elasticity. I have lost 76 lbs on my own. I need to start a new work out program at 45 I see some sagging but I feel it will get better with a new work out.
The sagging is often age and or losing weight too fast. Your body needs to a just. So work on eating healthy and work outs. When you aren't doing that work on making healthy life style changes in all areas of your life.

I just did look into cellulite and work out will help. Just stick with it and find a buddy it's so much easier. That was my issue I have no one in my area.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 5, 2015 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

These ladies have the right advice...hugs!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 10, 2015 at 2:36 PM

I lost over 100 lbs, and by doing it slowly, strength training, drinking plenty of water, and making healthy food choices, my skin wasn't awful.  Yes, I had some loose skin, but I DEFINITELY looked better than I did at almost 300 lbs. In fact, when I was down around 155-170, I was actually running with shorts and a sports bra for the first time in MANY years!  I am a little heavier again (185-190) thanks to a nasty divorce and a lot of other changes all at once, but I am getting back at it.  DON'T let your fear of skin get to you.  It's usually when people have really rapid weight loss that the skin looks bad, but if you go slow, it'll help a lot.  Again, strength training is a HUGE factor as well.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

nebraskamomto2
by Member on May. 11, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Wow, that's amazing, good for you!  I had 3 pregnancies where I gained alot of weight...and then had thyroid problems so eventually I had about 80 lbs to lose.  It's tough but it can definitely be done!  I had the loose skin, even at my goal weight of 130lbs and ate healthy, worked out, etc.  The botanical body wraps tightened it up for me and helped with cellulit.

Quoting musicpisces:

I lost over 100 lbs, and by doing it slowly, strength training, drinking plenty of water, and making healthy food choices, my skin wasn't awful.  Yes, I had some loose skin, but I DEFINITELY looked better than I did at almost 300 lbs. In fact, when I was down around 155-170, I was actually running with shorts and a sports bra for the first time in MANY years!  I am a little heavier again (185-190) thanks to a nasty divorce and a lot of other changes all at once, but I am getting back at it.  DON'T let your fear of skin get to you.  It's usually when people have really rapid weight loss that the skin looks bad, but if you go slow, it'll help a lot.  Again, strength training is a HUGE factor as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)