Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mirena

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 8:45 AM
  • 28 Replies

Does anyone here have the Mirena IUD or had it in the past? I'm getting one placed tomorrow and wanted to know thoughts and opinions. In my research the reviews seem mixed but a lot more good then bad.

Thanks in advance!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

by on May. 7, 2015 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DellaG
by New Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:30 AM

My oldest daughter has the mirena iud. and loves it.. her only issue is she has hormone induced acne however the mirena does not help with that..

Liz132
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:40 AM

I had one and I didn't like it for me it caused sex to be painful, and decreased my sex drive. My dh and I use to joke that it prevented pregnancy by abstinence. I did manage to lose a bunch of weight while I had it so on the plus side it probably won't interfere with your weight loss goals.

1stTimeMom1982
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Oh ok thank you. Good to know. With the acne, I'm guessing a side effect I think I read the pill can be taken as well but I'm sure it'll be a hassle

Quoting DellaG:

My oldest daughter has the mirena iud. and loves it.. her only issue is she has hormone induced acne however the mirena does not help with that..

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on May. 7, 2015 at 10:41 AM

I blew up 15 pounds in three months, and it wouldn't budge no matter what I tried. 

1stTimeMom1982
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Hahahaha that's the same type of joke my husband would come up with lol I'm pretty close to my fitnesss goal/look so I don't think I'd lose weight on it since I've reach the harder part. I'll let you know how it goes though cause I still plan to get it tomorrow morning

Quoting Liz132:

I had one and I didn't like it for me it caused sex to be painful, and decreased my sex drive. My dh and I use to joke that it prevented pregnancy by abstinence. I did manage to lose a bunch of weight while I had it so on the plus side it probably won't interfere with your weight loss goals.

Liz132
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Good luck! I hope it doesn't cause any problems for you but if you do notice those problems at least you'll know the cause. I kept complaining about it but my doctor at the time wouldn't admit that it was the mirena causing my problems which went away a week after it was removed.  

Quoting 1stTimeMom1982:

Hahahaha that's the same type of joke my husband would come up with lol I'm pretty close to my fitnesss goal/look so I don't think I'd lose weight on it since I've reach the harder part. I'll let you know how it goes though cause I still plan to get it tomorrow morning

Quoting Liz132:

chinosruca
by on May. 7, 2015 at 12:34 PM
I had a HORIIBLE experience with it. I had it removed in less than a year and would never get it again. I do know people IRL that had no bad experiences. Not sure why I did, but did.
Frankiexo
by on May. 7, 2015 at 12:47 PM
I have it the only thing I have is Acme and I started lactating I'm not pregnant at all but my boobs are lactating
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bc19
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 12:49 PM

I never could adjust to mine. I always felt it and it was slightly painful. It felt like it was rubbing up against my cervix the entire time I had it. We also had to be careful during sex, sometimes it hurt my husband too. I finally had to get mine out and I felt a lot better. I never gained or lost any weight while on it. I worked out constantly, but the scale stayed the same.

mes_deux_amours
by *Andrea* on May. 7, 2015 at 1:23 PM

I had it after my first child. It worked great, but I felt the side effects were not good. I don't know its been 5 years since I had it removed. I had it for almost 3 years so the side effects must not have been that bad. It was not the worst BC I ever had (that would be the nuva ring).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)