Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TRAINING FOR A RACE

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:25 PM
  • 12 Replies
What things do you ladies who participate in races usually do to train and prepare yourselves for an upcoming race?.
by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chinosruca
by on May. 7, 2015 at 2:11 PM
How long is the race? Do you run already? When I was a runner, I just ran every day. Rain, sleet or snow.....I ran. (Ok, the be honest, in Hawaii we don't get sleet or snow.) if I was prepping for a 5k, I would try and run and least half that distance daily just to be conditioned. I stayed hydrated, ate well and did lots of yoga to keep my muscles stretched and toned.

I quit running after a bad back injury. The one thing in my life I love is running. But, it causes me so much pain and misery! Walking and swimming are much better for me now.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 7, 2015 at 3:00 PM

Depends on how long the race is...

marinesweetie
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:27 PM
I am looking at the hal higdon half marathon training plan
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4puddintaters
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2015 at 8:30 PM
It will be about a 10 mile run. Im super excited but struggling with eating properly. Its such a struggle for me! Just wanted helpful suggestions. Thanks ladies.
ceomck
by New Member on May. 9, 2015 at 8:44 AM

Good for you!  I love running races.  I am kind of a turtle.  I can run far but not fast.  I think the training depends on your goals.  Do you want to finish in a certain time?  When is the race and how often can you train?  For me I just run....lots...

4puddintaters
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2015 at 12:31 AM
I'm not running for time just want to be able run 10 miles and not collapse haha. I love to run. Its very personal to me.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 10, 2015 at 2:50 AM

What does a current week of running/exercising look like?

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

4puddintaters
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2015 at 6:12 PM
^^ I try to do a couple miles a day and alternate days between upper, lower body and core strengthening workouts.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 11, 2015 at 1:39 AM
1 mom liked this

How long do you have to train for the race?

How many days per week are you running?

Running every day can be tough on the body, especially while you are increasing mileage.  Make sure you take days off in between and cross train (bike, swim, hike, etc) to work different muscles and give your joints a break.  You need to allow your body to recover.

I'm glad you're doing strength training!  There are actually specific workouts for running that you might check out.

There is the 10% rule, which is good to follow, and it's a guideline, not a hard and fast rule.  Basically, you will want to increase your mileage by approx. 10% per week and work toward your distance goal.  You will need to pick a day once per week that will be your long run, and consider adding some kind of speed work in there once a week as well.  While I know you're not going for time, it makes a difference in your endurance, and being able to run 10 miles in less time isn't the worst thing!  Every few weeks, back off on your distance by 20%, then add that 10% back to your prior week when you get beyond that recovery week (if that sentence made sense...).

So to give you a sample workout plan, assuming you've been running 2 miles every day:

M: 2 mile run

T: 20 minute swim, strength train upper body

W: sprint drills, 20 minutes (+ 5 minute warm up, 5 minute cool down)

Th: Rest

F: 2 mile run, strength train legs & core

Sa: 1 mile run or easy cross train day

Su: 3 mile run

M: Rest

T: 2 mile run, upper body & core strength train

W: Bike 30 minutes, easy pace

Th: 2.5 mile run, leg strength train

F: sprint drills on tired legs

Sa: Swim 20 minutes or rest

Su: 4 mile run

Quoting 4puddintaters: ^^ I try to do a couple miles a day and alternate days between upper, lower body and core strengthening workouts.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

momof3inct1967
by Member on May. 11, 2015 at 7:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Add in speed drills and hill repeats. Doing those helped me so much. I do my long run Saturday or Sunday. During the long run go easy but do a 1 minute pickup at the beginning of each mile. Then easy recovery 3 mi Monday. I do either speed or or hills on Wednesday- 10 minutes each warm-up and cool down and 40 minutes work. Then tempo run on Friday- 20 minutes easy, 40 minutes racepace and 20 minutes easy.

I try to maximize my training in each run because I do tris so have to fit in swim, bikes, strength, yoga. I read the book Run Less, Run Faster and I got more efficient. "Junk miles" can be stress relief and a nice way to spend the afternoon - I love chatting
with a friend for miles but if that's my long run I remember to include 60 second pickups :) Good luck on your race!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)